Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 06-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #29
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
i can't find a way to enter an address for navigation using google maps. The only way i know how is to enter it on my phone, then plug it in and use my recent addresses for nav
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #30
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Side by side, I like how Google implemented Android Auto better than Apple's CarPlay. Hopefully Apple will allow more apps down the road or I may be switching back. Apple Maps is so far behind Google and Siri at times is more frustrating than helpful.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #31
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
i can't find a way to enter an address for navigation using google maps. The only way i know how is to enter it on my phone, then plug it in and use my recent addresses for nav
Hit the Mic icon or hold the voice command button on the wheel for 5 secs. Then tell it where you want to go. AA will not let you type an address in while driving. It may give you a keyboard in Park (A8) or when Parking brake on (M6) but the voice recognition works really well.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
trboxman

Drives: 2017 2SS, M6, HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Bluetooth is too slow to handle AA data.

What wireless AA will use is a direct wifi connection. However, the primary issue with that setup and why it's taken so long for Apple and Google to roll out wireless solutions is the battery usage. your device would die on a simple couple hours of usage without plugging it in. Now you could rock a wireless charging setup but that's not very universally supported and it's still likely to have most of the downsides of plugging your device in.

What will probably happen before that is just a wider adoption head units that are more like smart phones. Either by having android running on it directly or an alternative like the potential of the open linux infotaiment systems that Toyota is headlining.

It's just unlikely you'll have much success with wireless AA with current battery/phone tech being very popular when you just have to plug in after using it because your phone is dead. Much more convenient to charge it while it's doing nothing in the car anyway (current setup).
Wireless charging is a joke too, what phones fit? I have a GalaxyS8 and it doesn't fit with or without a case.

It would be so nice if the mfgs could see their way to collaborating on a standards based set of capabilities, dimensions etc so that the aftermarket can drive innovation that the auto companies just can't do.
trboxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #33
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Quote:
I think you can just tap the microphone and say the address.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #34
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop427 View Post
I don't really like AA. The gps that's built in the car is way nicer and is intergraded into the HUD so no need for Google maps.
"Ok Google" understands what i'm saying way better than My Link - and you can't beat google maps either... I can do in my car what I can do at home on my phone, same system, nothing to learn... and it is always improving (true, you can't see map on the HUD).
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #35
Zepp

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The Waze beta for Android Auto is FINALLY out. Woohoo!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #36
Whitenoise

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE. Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
The Waze beta for Android Auto is FINALLY out. Woohoo!
I'm really excited for this. I just confirmed my 'testing' status in the Play Store for Waze on Android Auto. Just waiting for the push update!
Whitenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #37
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Looks like Waze has finally arrived on Android Auto:
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/07...auto-hands-on/
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #38
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
Oh man! I had no idea Waze was coming! Even better... it is out the very day I discover it is coming!
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #39
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if you want the beta version of WAZE here it is. down load this on your phone and turn off google play store auto update
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/waze/wa...7-0-1-release/
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 07-26-2017 at 01:32 PM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #40
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
if you want the beta version here it is. down load this on your phone and turn off google play store auto update
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/waze/wa...0-906-release/
Looks like it has left beta as of today. I saw in the Play Store it lists Android Auto as part of the update. Haven't tried it yet though.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #41
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
Actually, it is pretty useless. There are very few apps, the most useful, Waze, is not yet available, and requiring usb connection is simply prehistoric.
There PLENTY of apps...far more available than needed to cover ANY activity you should be doing while driving (GPS, music, texting). As for Waze...the beta app is available now--not just to beta testers--to anyone. Just sideload to your compatible Android phone from the Waze apk mirror site (I'm running version 4.26.0.906). It's got some minor bugs, but so far pretty great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
I agree...don't like the cord and I use WAZE more than Google Maps.
Two thoughts about running AA without a cable, over Bluetooth...

1. Why? The audio quality over Bluetooth will not approach what you will experience over a direct connection.

2. Running your GPS and tunes via AA for any length of time without being plugged in will run down your battery pretty quickly. Why wouldn't you want your phone to have a fresh charge every time you get out of the car?

If this is about charge cycles, save your argument. Most people will upgrade their phone before they ever exhaust the useful charge cycles. And if it's about just not wanting to spend the time to plug in...c'mon...you CAN'T be serious. I do it so quickly now I don't even have to think about it. If this is about not wanting a cable cluttering up the aesthetics of your interior... plug in the phone and put it inside the center compartment. It's small, but it will hold either my personal phone (LG V20) or my work phone (iPhone 6 Plus). Both are big phones and they fit just fine.

AA over Bluetooth feels like a "novelty" ask. Just doesn't make sense to me!

My two (ok, maybe three) cents...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #42
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Two ways to do this. If you are stopped and select the microphone icon, a keyboard will appear that will allow you to type in your destination. If you are moving, this will not be allowed, but, you can long press your talk button and just speak your desired destination. Google will present your options on screen and you are off and running!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote