Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #29
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
As a security engineer who protects very important things for a living, I absolutely agree with cellsafemode.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
As an biomed electronics technician I completely agree with cellsafemode and CyberGuyPR.

Car manufacturers are turning your car into a rolling data communications hub. It has nothing to do with the tin foil hat crowd and everything to do with losing your privacy. Cars will eventually become rolling advertisements, as they're already working on sending ads from merchants they know you frequently visit into your infotainment screen. How about 10% off at Macy's? Free large coffee at your next fillup at Speedway? Free appetizer at Flemmings when you purchase 2 steak dinners? You'll see that on your screen if you shop there enough, and you don't even have to use the GPS. They know you shop there by how many times you park in the damn parking lot!

I took my OnStar transponder board out of my car and destroyed it. Who cares if it doesn't have OnStar when I sell it? It won't be any time soon anyway.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #31
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I disconnected mine as soon as I took delivery. I lost the compass and navigation. everything else works just fine and I can use my phone for navigation if need be.

You must have done something wrong or took out the wrong board. Because if you remove the OnStar transponder board you retain navi, compass, bluetooth speaker and mic, everything. That board is only for OnStar cellular communications radio.

Only the transponder board needs to be removed.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #32
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
As an biomed electronics technician I completely agree with cellsafemode and CyberGuyPR.

Car manufacturers are turning your car into a rolling data communications hub. It has nothing to do with the tin foil hat crowd and everything to do with losing your privacy. Cars will eventually become rolling advertisements, as they're already working on sending ads from merchants they know you frequently visit into your infotainment screen. How about 10% off at Macy's? Free large coffee at your next fillup at Speedway? Free appetizer at Flemmings when you purchase 2 steak dinners? You'll see that on your screen if you shop there enough, and you don't even have to use the GPS. They know you shop there by how many times you park in the damn parking lot!

I took my OnStar transponder board out of my car and destroyed it. Who cares if it doesn't have OnStar when I sell it? It won't be any time soon anyway.
To add to this, they are also trying to make an inter-connected grid of information. That can be done by connecting cars, cell towers, cell phones and any network connected device. By taking control of what's in your purview, you are taking control of your privacy. Eventually everything will be used as a network for information and by companies and of course the government. Why do you think SIRI and Google know what the traffic pattern is on your way home or what restaurant your eating at? It's not paranoia. It's a choice to protect your own privacy. If you want your information flapping in the wind then turn a blind eye.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #33
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
...wish one of you guys lived near me so I could hire you to remove my transponder.
I agree, absolutely not paranoia in these times :-/
Old 03-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #34
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You must have done something wrong or took out the wrong board. Because if you remove the OnStar transponder board you retain navi, compass, bluetooth speaker and mic, everything. That board is only for OnStar cellular communications radio.

Only the transponder board needs to be removed.
If you remove the transponder board, you lose the gps antenna. So you lose everything that uses it including compass, nav.

Bluetooth is always fine, as it has nothing to do with onstar - this will work even if you remove the onstar fuse. Mic is fine as long as onstar's module is still powered (you didn't leave any of the connectors unplugged or the fuse out).

If you have android auto / carplay in use, you dont actually lose any functionality, but the stupid little in-dash compass will still be unable to get a direction and simply show "CAL" since it can't calibrate.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #35
ArcheryBucks

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I found it on my 2017 RS Camaro!
It's under the cabin filter area. I took pictures but I can't seem to attach them. 😑
If you want the pictures email me at whitetailmechanical@cox.net and I'll send them to you. There were 2 antennas and 2 wiring harnesses that I disconnected entirely. I'll let you guys know if I have any issues with anything. The onstar lights went out on my review mirror as well so I know it was the onstar unit that I disconnected.
ArcheryBucks is offline   Reply With Quote