Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #4117
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/29/...0-first-drive/

LOL, these guys crack me up. The performance bargain of the year...that most can't afford and that the few who can afford have to be on a limited list and then pay a markup for it. HAHA! Let's say I had $110K in hand to buy a car right now. What are my chances of buying a GT500 and what are my chances of buying a C8 Z51? What are my chances of seeing one of these performance bargain of the year vehicles, sitting in one, and driving one without having to buy it first? And then this quote "And around a racetrack, the Corvette wouldn’t have a chance. Not in speeds, laptimes, or handling behavior. I know, I've driven one". Yet offers no lap times or info on which track he's talking about. LOL!! These guys are a joke. I can't even take them serious anymore.
In the end, it's still a Mustang and I'd take the Corvette or ZL1 over it any day. When you have to throw THAT much horsepower at a car just to have it perform only slightly better, then you need to go back to the drawing board. And besides, that Corvette he is talking about, is a base model. They haven't yet to show their true potential.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #4118
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
So it takes a season vet to get below 11 sec. The average mag and driver will be low 11. So again, no different then a hero run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
MotorTrend ran a best time of 11.287 on the prepped dragstrip. Car and Driver did not post their best time, only an estimated time.

MotorTrend published runs (ie. for the C8 and ZL1) are two run averages in each direction on non-prepped surfaces and also SAE corrected.

It will be good to see what it does in comparison tests with same track and driver. I’m actually surprised the road test reviews haven’t commented much on the 4250 lb curb weight. Ford must have done a good job with the chassis tuning and ‘hiding’ that mass!
All jokes aside, I really would love to see that thing put up against the ZL1 and C8 on the same track same day and see what happens. But they won't. They'll keep ducking. The real battle will be when these cars are side by side. And my money is still on the Bowtie!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
In the end, it's still a Mustang and I'd take the Corvette or ZL1 over it any day. When you have to throw THAT much horsepower at a car just to have it perform only slightly better, then you need to go back to the drawing board. And besides, that Corvette he is talking about, is a base model. They haven't yet to show their true potential.
It kinda shows what it takes for Ford to just match the Bowtie!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #4119
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Reading the reviews, sounds like it’s going to pretty good.

Seems like they had very heavy focus on the engine and trans and they have an amazing feel to them. And it’s got the handling near gt350.

I suspect it might not win on a circuit track against a zl1 1le, but I’d bet it’s more fun to drive.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #4120
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
MotorTrend ran a best time of 11.287 on the prepped dragstrip. Car and Driver did not post their best time, only an estimated time.

MotorTrend published runs (ie. for the C8 and ZL1) are two run averages in each direction on non-prepped surfaces and also SAE corrected.

It will be good to see what it does in comparison tests with same track and driver. I’m actually surprised the road test reviews haven’t commented much on the 4250 lb curb weight. Ford must have done a good job with the chassis tuning and ‘hiding’ that mass!
The drive reviews I have seen specifically point out how the vehicle doesn't feel as heavy as it is, so yeah, Ford has done a really good job of "tuning out" the mass.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #4121
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Anybody who calls the zl1 and 11.4 or 11.5 car should refer to the gt500 as an 11.2 car. Because that 10.6 run is no different than a 10.9 hero run four tu e zl1 on the fast list or the zr1s 10.2 fast list time.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #4122
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Anybody who calls the zl1 and 11.4 or 11.5 car should refer to the gt500 as an 11.2 car. Because that 10.6 run is no different than a 10.9 hero run four tu e zl1 on the fast list or the zr1s 10.2 fast list time.
That is exactly what the Evans runs are. Very good demonstrations of the best these cars can possibly do under ideal conditions and a lot of trial and error.

Anyone who props up what he does as anything else is full of it, and clearly needs an ego boost.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #4123
RobbyBeefcake87

Gt500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
You have no idea how moronic these statements are. Now the base GT500 is $35k more expensive than the Hellcat? Ridiculous. And now the GT500 is a $100k car? Why do you pick and choose the price of the top trim with additional options as the price of the car to try to make your point? I think you forgot the base model is $73k. The M5 and GTR have AWD, obviously a major difference with traction, as with the ME C8. Besides, the GTR isn't even a 10 second car. Fastest test I saw was 11.2 seconds with AWD. Maybe I missed the 10 second tests. The ZR1 hasn't been "doing it for years", it is a 2019 model. You act as if 10 sec cars are everywhere, but the M5s, newer 911 turbos, Lamborghini Huracans, Ferrari Pistas, and other 10 sec cars of the world are few and far between.

This press event was far from a "let's see if any of these people can get a fast run". Each person only got 3 runs and as soon as they finished their 3 runs, the next one was in and moving onto their runs. They hot lapped the cars all day from what I've read on M6G. Hardly qualifies as "special treatment". If someone like Evan wants to run the GT500 on a strip and get a good time, there is nothing wrong with that.

No one is arguing with the C8 11.1 run or the DA, or anything, because it is corrected, making it an even playing field. Just like the 11.5 @ 125 mph for the ZL1 auto by both C&D and MT is corrected. Just like all of the magazine times that we have all quoted many times as the official numbers. The reason you can compare them is because they are corrected. You'll see tomorrow the base GT500 running 10s at a ~2000' DA, uncorrected.

You said "if it runs 10s then it runs 10s" as if it's no big deal for a FE RWD car to run 10s on "street" tires. I know of two factory cars that have ever done that in magazine tests - the '19 ZR1 and the Ferrari 812 Superfast (probably the best looking car ever made IMO). IIRC the Hellcat variants haven't cracked even close into the 10s in the major magazine tests. 10s is fast in this configuration anyway you slice it for a factory car. You keep saying that so when it does show it runs 10s at 2000 DA you can be like, "well, I did say it might run 10s" so you can pretend it's a common occurrence or not a noteworthy accomplishment with a $73k car. Either stand by your claim it will be no faster (or barely faster) than a ZL1, or admit it will likely come out tomorrow that it is a 10 second car.

Regarding "how long" something takes to get out...what about the fact that the current ZL1 is still no faster than the 2013 GT500 with ultra tall gearing? I mean, at least be consistent with your arguments. A 2020 GT500 will be a 1/2 second faster or greater than the 2017 ZL1 A10, while the 2017 ZL1 is no faster than a 2013 GT500. See the logic on the timing? Nevermind, you probably won't.

The only thing you said that passes muster is the GT500 vs a ZR1 on same day same track same driver. Yes, a 3,600 lbs car with 755 hp (that starts at over $120k) will likely be faster than a 4,200 lbs car with 760 hp (that starts at $73k). It's not rocket science to make that claim.

Rant over.
Which metrics or published times are we using to say the 2013 gt500 is faster than the current zl1? I know on the fast list, and especially with a tire, it's faster but you guys who love magazine times should know that between motortrend and car and driver it was an 11.6 and 11.8 car. Also in anything but a straight line (and not top speed) it loses. It could be argued the 2020 gt500 is barely faster than the 2013.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #4124
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

LOL, these guys crack me up. The performance "bargain of the year"...that most can't afford and that the few who can afford have to be on a limited list and then pay a markup for it. HAHA! Let's say I had $110K in hand to buy a car right now. What are my chances of buying a GT500 and what are my chances of buying a C8 Z51? What are my chances of seeing one of these performance bargain of the year vehicles, sitting in one, and driving one without having to buy it first? And then this quote "And around a racetrack, the Corvette wouldn’t have a chance. Not in speeds, laptimes, or handling behavior. I know, I've driven one". Yet offers no lap times or info on which track he's talking about. LOL!! These guys are a joke. I can't even take them serious anymore.

I wouldn't expect a C8 Stingray to compete with a GT500 CFTP on a road course. That's not its role. Stingray is the "street" Corvette. The high volume base car. The Z51 gives it much better handling and makes it track capable,not track king. C8 has to wait until the Grand Sport and/or Z06 show up before it can expect to seriously challenge a CFTP on the track. I'm super impressed by the Stingray's 0-60 and quarter mile achievements. Both numbers are better than I thought thy would be and the price of entry is much lower than I thought it would be. That makes the car a winner. The fact that it can perform on the track better than I can drive on the track is gravy.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #4125
RobbyBeefcake87

Gt500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
That is exactly what the Evans runs are. Very good demonstrations of the best these cars can possibly do under ideal conditions and a lot of trial and error.

Anyone who props up what he does as anything else is full of it, and clearly needs an ego boost.
Ofcourse on Evans post on FB all the ford retards are already comparing that number to official zl1 times hailing it as an official gt500 time ignoring motortrends 11.2.

After many attemps Motortrend got 11.2 on a prepped surface at an awesome 130 mph.. they got 11.5 in a zle a10 on an unprepped surface, albeit at a much slower 124mph. The gt500 is faster for sure, it has 110 more hp and a dct, it should be faster.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #4126
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
So it ran 10s... BFD. That was expected, and if it hadn't it would have been an immediate failure.

So, does Evan ever state which car went 10.61? The 'base' car or the CFTP?

Do we know the weight difference yet?
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #4127
RobbyBeefcake87

Which car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
So it ran 10s... BFD. That was expected, and if it hadn't it would have been an immediate failure.

So, does Evan ever state which car went 10.61? The 'base' car or the CFTP?

Do we know the weight difference yet?
He went with the base, he reckoned the aero of the track pack would slow down mph. Ford figured the same and provided motortrend with a base for the strip since it has less aero drag and the mps4s have equal longitudinal grip as the psc2s.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #4128
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

LOL, these guys crack me up. The performance "bargain of the year"...that most can't afford and that the few who can afford have to be on a limited list and then pay a markup for it. HAHA! Let's say I had $110K in hand to buy a car right now. What are my chances of buying a GT500 and what are my chances of buying a C8 Z51? What are my chances of seeing one of these performance bargain of the year vehicles, sitting in one, and driving one without having to buy it first? And then this quote "And around a racetrack, the Corvette wouldn’t have a chance. Not in speeds, laptimes, or handling behavior. I know, I've driven one". Yet offers no lap times or info on which track he's talking about. LOL!! These guys are a joke. I can't even take them serious anymore.
They did seem very thrilled with it from the first drive. I am anxious to see more real reviews pop up, but so far from what I have gathered the car does not feel as fat as it is lol

I still wouldn't call it a bargain though, I would still spend my money on a C8 vs any of the high po pony cars

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...es-everything/

Those are some big words from MT in that article. Can't wait to see them hotlap it and see how it actually performs to how it feels

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-gt500-drive/

Like the C8, I feel C&D had a balanced review pointing out positives and negatives. They also dropped this little nugget

"Ford claims the GT500 can crack 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and clear the quarter-mile in 10.7 seconds on a drag strip prepped for optimal traction"
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 10-29-2019 at 10:06 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #4129
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you haven't yet, read the MT article about the CFTP car. Mind blowing is the best way to describe it.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...es-everything/

""My gawd," was the first thing, the only thing I could say after hot-lapping the 760-horsepower 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 on a track. "What a thing!" (C'mon, Walton, pull yourself together, use proper descriptors.) "I mean, a helluva thing, a monster!"

I was literally a few words shy of speechless, the Shelby GT500 was such a revelation. Like the mid-engine 2020 Corvette does, this American icon pushes the limits, and the Europeans, to the edge of what we once thought possible. I don't write glibly when I say it is both a sobering and enthusiastic realization.

The car had such explosive power, controlled and exploitable through the brilliantly tuned Tremec twin-clutch seven-speed automated manual transmission and Torsen limited-slip differential. Think Porsche GT2 RS. Yes, I just wrote that. It also provided so much mechanical and aero grip that it attacked racetrack curb hopping and wide-open sweepers with equal poise and confidence. Think Jaguar XE SV Project 8. The seatbelt-straining brakes and fingertip controllable steering produced nearly equal 1.3 g loads in their respective directions. Think Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4Matic+.

This isn't the best Mustang ever, nor even the best Shelby GT ever. It's one of the best sports cars in the world right now, ready and willing to go wheel to wheel for lap times and pinks. Brrrring it."

"The largely aero, suspension, and lightweight package alters the GT500's demeanor from criminally loud, fast, fun, well-sorted, and highly predictable sports car—with more power than it sometimes knows what to do with—to a limited-production track-focused world-class supercar that excels and thrives because of that power. That it also provides so much driver feedback in such a neutral and balanced fashion is a real rarity. I've been fortunate to drive a few race cars, and this is as close as one can get to that with a fully outfitted interior and enough road manners to live with daily. That's not an exaggeration, nor is it easy to achieve."

I don't know what to say, except that those who were complaining about the 4,170 lbs (not 4,225 lbs) are likely wrong about the capabilities of this car on a track. According to every article I've read, it's nothing short of phenomenal on a track. Oh, and Evan's time of 10.61 is impressive, but that 133 mph trap speed?? Insane, nearly ZR1 level with 500 extra pounds. Can't wait for a H2H w/ Pobst w/ the ZL1.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #4130
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Chevrolet, more than likely, won't even respond to the GT500. The Camaro is not on their priority list -- pleasing shareholders is. All of GM's focus is on the C8 Corvette and all of its upcoming variants.

Besides, making 760 crank HP in the ZL1 really doesn't take much effort and it's already more than capable on the track.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote