Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 05-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Just got mine back from the shop with Phase II completed and will check CC (next to SC belt in pic) oil shortly to see. Not expecting a lot though.

Your badly low on SC coolant bud. Your going to be sucking in air into your loop if not already.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #16
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Many of cars have had their warranties voided because of a catch can. You can search the internet and see this.

Manufacturers says the catch causes the engine to be oil starved.....OK. Just their way of getting around replacing an engine even though a vehicle had known oil pump issues, etc.

LOL What? Oil Starved??? That doesn't even make the least bit of sense.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #17
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
I check mine every few hundred miles or so only because I had that overfill issue back when it was installed. I usually get a teaspoon or so every few hundred miles. So ya they work.
I have the Mighty Mouse wild w/10an connections.
Camaro1973 you raised an interesting question:

My coolant was at the res. cold fill line when at ambient temp, and is now as shown in this pic when at 108F. If this isn't right, someone let me know, thx (sorry for my rotated pic)
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #18
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Camaro1973 you raised an interesting question:

My coolant was at the res. cold fill line when at ambient temp, and is now as shown in this pic when at 108F. If this isn't right, someone let me know, thx (sorry for my rotated pic)

The bottom is the outlet, so technically thats good. But the inlet (into res) is probably sloshing around air at that level and bubbles can be sucked into the res and therefore be sent right down into the bottom.

See a pic of Stephens. This is the correct fill.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587347

Old 05-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #19
Camaro1973

Quote:
The bottom is the outlet, so technically thats good. But the inlet (into res) is probably sloshing around air at that level and bubbles can be sucked into the res and therefore be sent right down into the bottom.

See a pic of Stephens. This is the correct fill.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587347

If was me, i would remove the Intercooler pump relay, and jump the circuit and turn the pump on and watch the res level. Maybe even remove cap and re-bleed it.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #20
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Maybe even remove cap and re-bleed it.
I'll do that tomorrow, thx
Old 05-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #21
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
That's really not much oil, considering how much air is going through your engine in that 3000 miles.

If it's something critical, there would be maintenance measures for it, like walnut blasting you see on BMW and Volkswagens.

Personally, I am still meh on the whole situation, at least on NA cars. Somebody posted a pic of intake valves on a Silverado with 100k miles and 0W-20 oil without catch can. It's really not that terrible, especially for something you don't even see normally anyway.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
Old 05-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #22
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That's really not much oil, considering how much air is going through your engine in that 3000 miles.

If it's something critical, there would be maintenance measures for it, like walnut blasting you see on BMW and Volkswagens.

Personally, I am still meh on the whole situation, at least on NA cars. Somebody posted a pic of intake valves on a Silverado with 100k miles and 0W-20 oil without catch can. It's really not that terrible, especially for something you don't even see normally anyway.
The way I look at it, I'm getting about 1/2 oz every 700 miles or so, that adds up to about 72 oz of oil at 100,000 miles, I'm sure some still gets past the catch can, but if I can prevent 72 oz of oil going over my intake valves, they will be in significantly better shape at 100k than without a catch can...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
Old 05-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #23
Camaro1973

Quote:

It doesn't take much oil to start collecting on the back of your valves.

2 Ounces of oil going into your intake is ALOT of oil. That's 2 ounces too much.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #24
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Has any engineer from GM or other auto manufacturers said they should be there? Clearly they must know this happens. Is it possible they have planned for these exhaust gasses into the intake?

I ask this as they are in the hook to warranty these engines and have had decades to develop solutions. Catch cans can be drained directly back into oil pans eliminating the need to empty them If this was such an issue wouldn’t they do that?

I have read some messages but little data on the issue

Thanks
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
Old 05-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #25
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianVetZL1 View Post
Has any engineer from GM or other auto manufacturers said they should be there? Clearly they must know this happens. Is it possible they have planned for these exhaust gasses into the intake?

I ask this as they are in the hook to warranty these engines and have had decades to develop solutions. Catch cans can be drained directly back into oil pans eliminating the need to empty them If this was such an issue wouldn’t they do that?

I have read some messages but little data on the issue

Thanks
The manufacturer isn’t worried about engine damages caused by this blow-by oil vapor because by the time they could (might) cause catastrophic failure, the car will long be out of warranty. That fluid isn’t all oil BTW. It’s a mixture of unburnt fuel, water and oil mist. You definitely don’t want to pour that back into your oil tank.

I would use one on my LT4 without hesitation if I was certain they wouldn’t deny any warranty claim I might make. But, with these oil pump failures, I won’t risk it. Be just my luck my oil pump will fail and GM will deny my warranty claim due to the Catch Can. I have a couple more years of warranty left so no CC for me.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #26
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
The way I look at it, I'm getting about 1/2 oz every 700 miles or so, that adds up to about 72 oz of oil at 100,000 miles, I'm sure some still gets past the catch can, but if I can prevent 72 oz of oil going over my intake valves, they will be in significantly better shape at 100k than without a catch can...
But how much air and fuel has your engine used at 100k miles? That amount of oil is like a drop in that massive amount of air and gas you have used.

It's not like every drop of that 72 oz will end up on the back of the valves, and there is a certain temperature the valves(and other parts) will have to be in for the deposits to form, too. Too cold and the deposit won't form, and too hot and the oil droplets wouldn't bond with the metal surface.

Quote:
It doesn't take much oil to start collecting on the back of your valves.

2 Ounces of oil going into your intake is ALOT of oil. That's 2 ounces too much.
There will be collection, no doubt, but if it doesn't degrade the performance significantly (which many other things will do), then why would that matter? Do you take off the heads everyday to marvel at the intake valves? It's not something you can easily see. For BMW and VW, it's a real concern because they legitimately affect driveability.

And for ZL1 and 2.0T folks, I think potential collection and ability to interfere with intercooler's performance could be a better argument, if someone has unbiased data on that.

Then again, more and more family cars are running at the downsized turbo trend, and you see some of them running close to 20 psi boost stock. If that's a concern, we should see something going on there, too.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
Old 05-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:

To each their own, I don't want it in my intake and intercooler bricks, and ultimately baked on the intake valves.

I wouldn't bother on a NA engine.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #28
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
If I keep this car beyond the 5 year/60,000 warranty then I will investigate a catch can.

Closed Thread