Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #141
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
That looks like it would be fun to putt around in, though no "putt,putt". Make it a roadster and I'm in.

I'm sure that 6th Gen Camaro sales have to be disappointing to GM, and probably very frustrating for Al O. as this was his last swing at the car, at least as we know it. I mean, the 6th Gen Camaro is by far the best Camaro engineered. Never has it's performance been this close to the Corvette (C7) not only in speed but in handling as well. While esthetics are subjective, the design of the 6th Gen is simply remarkable. But, it is what it is.

Hopefully you are correct in that there will A) be a 7th gen, and B) be ICE powered. A performance based hybrid AWD ZL1 would not break my heart at all. With Corvette going all in on the mid engine chasing the Euro Supercars, I would really like to see Camaro moving the FE performance with sharing the powertrains and some of the performance goodies with it's big brother.

If it does go straight EV, then let's hope that it maintains the "spirit of Camaro" is the best at what it does...as in "what's a Tesla?"
Asthetics are not quite as "subjective" as you make them out to be. The reason I say this is because of 6th gen sales. It's clear from the perspective of the 5th gen and now the S550 Mustang, which dates back to 2015, that the 6th gen has been a general sales disappointment for GM. Luckily, the Alpha platform is shared on more than one model so that helped amortize some of the costs.

There's no doubt the 6th gen is superior to the 5th gen in all metrics except for rear legroom/headroom and trunk space. Clearly, the performance is much better as it should be with an all new platform. However, sales have been lackluster compared to the 5th gen. What is the reason?

People like to mention lack of advertising, but is that really true? I watch my fair share of televison and I haven't seen new Mustang commercial yet, at least the newer updated '18+ version. Yet, Mustang sales continue to outpace the 6th gen every year.

I think the problem is simply the lack of practicality, or rather the perception of the lack,of practicality and to a lesser extent, styling. Yes, styling. When you sell a car in this class, the styling has to be spot on. It has to look better than the last version by a significant amount. When it comes to the 6th gen, it doesn't do that IMO. The 5th gen had that 'gotta have it' factor. The 6th gen doesn't do that for a lot of people unfortunately.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #142
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
There's no doubt the 6th gen is superior to the 5th gen in all metrics except for rear legroom/headroom and trunk space. Clearly, the performance is much better as it should be with an all new platform. However, sales have been lackluster compared to the 5th gen. What is the reason?

People like to mention lack of advertising, but is that really true? I watch my fair share of televison and I haven't seen new Mustang commercial yet, at least the newer updated '18+ version. Yet, Mustang sales continue to outpace the 6th gen every year.

I think the problem is simply the lack of practicality, or rather the perception of the lack,of practicality and to a lesser extent, styling. Yes, styling. When you sell a car in this class, the styling has to be spot on. It has to look better than the last version by a significant amount. When it comes to the 6th gen, it doesn't do that IMO. The 5th gen had that 'gotta have it' factor. The 6th gen doesn't do that for a lot of people unfortunately.
The 5th gen's 'gotta have it' factor transferred to the new Mustang IMO, which partially relates to what you're saying here. It did GM no favors that the new Ford pony car looked miles better than the last one, while retaining practicality Camaro was about to give up even more of. It also didn't help that the market was about to decide even sedans might be impractical. The 6th gen Camaro is a great, affordable performance car unfortunately designed for an era that was just about to fall away.

Edit: I should add as a current non-owner who might sound like I'm being mean to Camaros, I still want one! I just need a new plan where it's not my DD is all.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 04-29-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #143
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
The 5th gen's 'gotta have it' factor transferred to the new Mustang IMO, which partially relates to what you're saying here. It did GM no favors that the new Ford pony car looked miles better than the last one, while retaining practicality Camaro was about to give up even more of. It also didn't help that the market was about to decide even sedans might be impractical. The 6th gen Camaro is a great, affordable performance car unfortunately designed for an era that was just about to fall away.

Edit: I should add as a current non-owner who might sound like I'm being mean to Camaros, I still want one! I just need a new plan where it's not my DD is all.
I'll agree with parts of this. Yes the 6th green Camaro have up interior room and trunk space which lead to less practicality. However, I don't know if I agree that the Mustang is any more practical. At my height of 7' I can still drive a 6th gen Camaro with relative comfort. However, I cannot drive a Mustang without having to take my wallet out of my pocket and starting in 2nd gear if driving a manual.

As for the comment about the sedans, it is unfortunate that even sedans are getting the ax now. I never thought that would happen, but it is right at the time the Camaro is struggling. I still believe GM overpriced, under-advertised, and alienated their base with the 6th generation even though it is truly an awesome machine.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #144
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Few muscle car fans would buy it. Chevy doesn't get it if they think just speed is the fascination with cars. Its also about mechanicals, things that move and make sounds.

Give me the option to be hitting on all 8 cyl. or the name Camaro don't mean sh!t!All I ask is you give me that option!😩
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #145
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Asthetics are not quite as "subjective" as you make them out to be. The reason I say this is because of 6th gen sales. It's clear from the perspective of the 5th gen and now the S550 Mustang, which dates back to 2015, that the 6th gen has been a general sales disappointment for GM. Luckily, the Alpha platform is shared on more than one model so that helped amortize some of the costs.

The "gotta have it" factor for the 5th gen. was mostly based on that it just came back from being on hiatus, it had a retro look, and it was the featured star you could say in the Transformers movies. That was all the advertisement GM needed for it. IMO, GM needs to advertise more for the 6th gen., especially to the younger generations. I'm not saying advertisement is not out there, but I don't see it.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #146
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
The "gotta have it" factor for the 5th gen. was mostly based on that it just came back from being on hiatus, it had a retro look, and it was the featured star you could say in the Transformers movies. That was all the advertisement GM needed for it. IMO, GM needs to advertise more for the 6th gen., especially to the younger generations. I'm not saying advertisement is not out there, but I don't see it.
Well...actually you don't see it because ads are not out there.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #147
Joe Remi

I've never seen a 6th gen ad. Not even in those ads with the smirky annoying guy and a bunch of Chevy models all lined up. The Camaro is invisible to the public who don't already know it exists, I'll never understand this strategy.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #148
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I've never seen a 6th gen ad. Not even in those ads with the smirky annoying guy and a bunch of Chevy models all lined up. The Camaro is invisible to the public who don't already know it exists, I'll never understand this strategy.
There was one early on with a hyper blue RS where he talked about the quality awards each car had won. Then there was one where people were driving different GM vehicles around a test track. A woman was driving a red SS and behaving appropriately. And a couple months ago there was one that had a lot of vehicles lined up, including a 2019 Camaro. Can’t remember what the point being made in that commercial was. Either pricing or fuel economy. Not sure which.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #149
Silveradoss573
Banned

Drives: Camaro 1LE
It's gonna take more than tv ads and a LT1 model to increase sales.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #150
foto1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2002 Honda CR-V
I would not buy an electric Camaro. The only EV I would get is a Model 3 as a daily if I could afford to pay for it plus my 1LE.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #151
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
There was one early on with a hyper blue RS where he talked about the quality awards each car had won. Then there was one where people were driving different GM vehicles around a test track. A woman was driving a red SS and behaving appropriately. And a couple months ago there was one that had a lot of vehicles lined up, including a 2019 Camaro. Can’t remember what the point being made in that commercial was. Either pricing or fuel economy. Not sure which.
They sound boring I guess that's why we missed them.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #152
Joe Remi

Quote:
All I saw was smirking annoying guy.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #153
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I've seen the Camaro show up [very] briefly from time to time in Chevy's TV advertising. Briefly, as in if you blinked at the wrong time, you probably missed it. If you couldn't identify it right away, you might as well have missed it.

Near-subliminal advertising.

Norm
Old 04-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #154
dreamer45

Drives: chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
As someone in that younger generation(I'm 19) it makes me laugh you mention the transformers movie, as that's exactly how I found out about the car.
dreamer45 is offline   Reply With Quote