CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Electric Camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573788)

SteveV 04-20-2020 09:26 AM

Electric Camaro

Just out of curiosity sake...

If GM were to bring back the Camaro as an Electric Vehicle in 2025, would anyone here actually buy one?

Personally, I am not interested in an electric vehicle until technology has progressed to the point that the roof of the car is solar and can recharge itself in 6 - 8 hours.

Number 3 04-20-2020 09:53 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/28/tesl...a-hyundai.html

AZCamaroFan 04-20-2020 09:59 AM

if it looks great, yes
if not, doesn't matter what powers it

vtirocz 04-20-2020 10:06 AM

If the SS version outperforms the current model (which it certainly would), I'd buy one! I usually keep my cars for 10-15 years though, so don't plan to upgrade any time soon.

I`m Batman 04-20-2020 10:18 AM

Only if electric cars technology has advanced to the point that I can quickly "re-fuel" in about 5-10 mins, and "fueling" stations are readily available like gas stations are, then I would buy one. I want to be able to take it on long trips with the car if I want to. I don't want just a city car and limited routes that I can take because of limited fueling stations.

17rsvert 04-20-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 10771036)
Personally, I am not interested in an electric vehicle until technology has progressed to the point that the roof of the car is solar and can recharge itself in 6 - 8 hours.

With those limitations, my guess is you are never getting one.

Without even going through the math, I'm pretty sure that given the area limitations of a vehicle roof, even with 100% efficiency of all components, there is not enough solar energy available in 6 to 8 hours to power a performance car for several hundred miles.

Malbjey 04-20-2020 11:02 AM

If it's full electric probably not, but if it's an electric hybrid then absolutely. However I'd still consider other cars on the market in 2025. I'm not a 'loyalist' to any car brand.

ZED SLED 04-20-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I`m Batman (Post 10771060)
Only if electric cars technology has advanced to the point that I can quickly "re-fuel" in about 5-10 mins, and "fueling" stations are readily available like gas stations are, then I would buy one. I want to be able to take it on long trips with the car if I want to. I don't want just a city car and limited routes that I can take because of limited fueling stations.

+1 I'm with you on that 100%

nancygrl 04-20-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I`m Batman (Post 10771060)

+1

cellsafemode 04-20-2020 03:02 PM

a hybrid done in a way where the gas engine is only a generator and not connected to the drivetrain in anyway would solve a vast majority of range concerns while keeping the added complexity of a combustion engine minimal and long lasting (since it would be constant rpm in it's happy band) and thus fairly pollution light as it would be low hp.

Though a lot can happen in battery tech in the next 5 years. So maybe that wont be necessary.

Mine will be 9 years old by 2025 so I imagine i'd be looking to upgrade around that time if not a little later. Assuming it's not locked down to crap and basically remote controlled by the manufacturer at their will. In which case i'll probably try and stay with old crap until the robots take over driving.

Camaro_QC 04-20-2020 03:23 PM

I'd be the first to have one if it looks great (not a fan of the refresh) and if the price is right.

RJK 04-20-2020 11:17 PM

If they make a convertible that I can charge in 5 minutes or less then count me in, otherwise, not a chance in hell.

ChildhoodMuscle 04-20-2020 11:33 PM

I'm with those who say depends on how it looks, but I'd add how it handles. The weight will be an issue for handling until batteries get lighter, but electric cars do have low centre of gravity, just hard on tires.

Not concerned about charging at all. For the most part it'll be charged at home at night so it's actually easier than having to go to the gas station (we have one electric car so we know how convenient that feels). The only charging issue is for really, really long trips, and for those you'd need to take some longer breaks anyways.

protovack 04-20-2020 11:37 PM

absolutely, yes I would buy one.