Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #71
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
This seems like a large generalization. Properly atomized fuel should see minimal variance in flow compared to the air it is in. Can you explain your comment about 5 cylinder engines? One huge argument against PI is the need for a controller that understands firing order and can be tuned. 5th port can "batch fire". I want to make it clear that I do not disagree that a PI solution would be more ideal. I just think some of the downsides need to be understood while we are proposing theoretical solutions to a yet to be encountered fueling shortage. What are your thoughts? Do you know of a wiring harness splice or controller that works well for this stuff?

Sure, I agree. Pointing out that this requires a controller and likely additional sensors like a crank position sensor. Without very well tuned controls the pooling of the PI setup against the back of the intake valves would be extreme compared to a 5th port solution.
Have you done PI aux fueling on any of your previous cars/builds? What control strategy did you use to prevent pooling?
Megasquirt should work with your existing sensors. A lot of people are using these on 'low buck' LSx builds.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...ssembled-unit/

We ran an AEM piggyback on the EVO8 race car.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #72
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Megasquirt should work with your existing sensors. A lot of people are using these on 'low buck' LSx builds.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...ssembled-unit/

We ran an AEM piggyback on the EVO8 race car.
For sure. I have put together a few Megasquirts with friends for Miata standalone setups. The last piggyback setup I did was with an old TurboLINK controller on my turbo miata. That was not great to work with IMHO. haha.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #73
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Bump for all the new people interested in discussing fueling... Please feel free to read from the beginning for all the good info you've been missing out on...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #74
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Bump for all the new people interested in discussing fueling... Please feel free to read from the beginning for all the good info you've been missing out on...
Ty sir
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #75
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Although I can't say because there are no published flow ratings on any of these OE pumps, I would think that any of the 2.0 pumps wouldn't make enough of a difference even if there was one that was slightly higher volume than another...

I'm leaning towards trying to adapt a pump from a v8, assuming one flows more. We know the LT4 pump flows more, but its pricey.

I'd be willing to setup a test rig with an extra cam and stuff to test pumps. Especially if some people would want to chip in some cash for parts I'll need like fuel line, fittings, external "in tank" pump Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #76
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Although I can't say because there are no published flow ratings on any of these OE pumps, I would think that any of the 2.0 pumps wouldn't make enough of a difference even if there was one that was slightly higher volume than another...

I'm leaning towards trying to adapt a pump from a v8, assuming one flows more. We know the LT4 pump flows more, but its pricey.

I'd be willing to setup a test rig with an extra cam and stuff to test pumps. Especially if some people would want to chip in some cash for parts I'll need like fuel line, fittings, external "in tank" pump Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there a way to setup a gofundme/kickstarter/patreon? I'm in if you can find a way to transparently account for funds. Maybe give people some of their dough back if you develop and market a product? Like if you develop a fuel product, someone 'donates' $20 to the testing product, then maybe that person could get $20 off a final fuel system product? Perhaps that would get some interest going?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #77
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
^^I'm in for something like this also! Not something I want to spend the time on...Nor have the capabilities...
I've done some crude -on car- testing with a couple pumps, but no real differences noted. Strange thing though..., each of these pumps, has a different in-tank fuel module.
You've taken your tank out?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #78
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate... View Post
Pressure and volume should be directly related.
Generally. As fuel pressure increases, volume output decreases.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #79
psykostevo

Drives: Smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Generally. As fuel pressure increases, volume output decreases.
Um, are we talking in terms of Mass or Dimensionally?

Your ECU will command a certain amount of Fuel Mass that is calculated from a combination of Fuel Pressure, Start of Injection Angle, End of Injection Angle, sometimes fuel temperature, etc, and then attempt to hit that calculated amount of fuel mass by controlling the Fuel Injector Pulsewidth (spray time).

If you arbitrarily increase fuel pressure, the ECU will quickly figure that out and will compensate by reducing the injector pulsewidth (also known as Fuel Trims).

The same amount of volume on average will come out, because a certain amount is required to hit target AFRs. Now, if you hit a physical limitation, such as the HPFP is commanding a pressure and engine needs a specific flow rate, and now the in-tank pump can't keep up.....then you have a different story.
psykostevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #80
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
I have a 5th gen zl1 pump in my tank. We have not successfully maxed out the factory fuel pump yet with the ZZP cams. If I was a gambling man its going to happen around 460-475whp. That begs the question where your power goals are. If you don't feel that its going to be much north of that, run the cams and pump in tank and go.
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #81
AdamJT11

Drives: 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
I have a 5th gen zl1 pump in my tank. We have not successfully maxed out the factory fuel pump yet with the ZZP cams. If I was a gambling man its going to happen around 460-475whp. That begs the question where your power goals are. If you don't feel that its going to be much north of that, run the cams and pump in tank and go.
Good to know. So was the in tank pump maxed out before you switched to the 5th gen ZL1 pump? But the HPFP is still not maxed out?
AdamJT11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #82
dpelow07

Drives: ats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post

why did you choose the 5th gen zl1 pump instead of a aem or any other brand? Is the zl1 pump plug and play?
dpelow07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #83
ChicagoTommy

Does anyone know the ZL1 pumps flow rate? LPH??
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #84
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post
why did you choose the 5th gen zl1 pump instead of a aem or any other brand? Is the zl1 pump plug and play?
it took a combination of the ZL1 canister, and the OEM canister, but it can be made to work. We used the ZL1 pump to maintain OEM reliability, and functionality. and they are surprisingly cheap.
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote