Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
obarry13

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
I've heard the same as well. S-type is more growl like with that deeper tone. Very sexy. But the Atak is a screamer. S-type is def louder than stock track mode without a doubt
Usually people refer to the S-Type as the old school deep muscle car sound while the ATAK is the racecar loud sound.
obarry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #16
Jfinley7

Drives: 2016 1SS Hyper Blue.
Well I went a head and purchased the Borla Atak without the valves. Ive spoke to a lot people lately that have bought the s-type and though they said it sounded great, they still desired a little more volume. In that case I think the Atak will be perfect. Plus I got an awesome deal at $975 shipped. I also wanted to mention that if you do so decide to buy a Borla exhaust without valves you have the option to add them later if you choose to. Borla sells a kit for this. It is a little pricey, but it’s still an option but I don’t think I’ll ever add them myself. It should be delivered Friday so I’ll be installing it over the weekend. I’ll let everybody know what I think once I get it on. ������

Last edited by Jfinley7; 10-05-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Jfinley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Do you have a part number for the add on NPP valves. Was on Borla's site and couldn't find them
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #18
Jfinley7

Part # for the valves is 60605. They are pricey little suckers. The cheapest I can find is $789. Please keep in mind that they may not be in stock due to Borla redesigning the valves. They were using GM valves in their exhaust which were causing issues. I’m having issues right now with my valves in my stock NPP so that’s why I opted to do away with them all together. When the valves are closed they rattle. The redesigned Borla valves are supposed to be better but only tiime will tell.

Last edited by Jfinley7; 10-04-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinley7 View Post
Part # for the valves is 60605. They are pricey little suckers. The cheapest I can find is $789. Please keep in mind that they may not be in stock due to Borla redesigning the valves. They were using GM valves in their exhaust which were causing issues. I’m having issues right now with my valves in my stock NPP so that’s why I opted to do away with them all together. When the valves are closed they rattle. The redesigned Borla valves are supposed to be better but only tiime will tell.

We're just starting to ship the new valves. They're holding up very well under testing. If any of you are having issues with our old valves please send me an email at davidb@borla.com and I'lll make sure you get the new ones at not cost to you.
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #20
JayhawkSS1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
We're just starting to ship the new valves. They're holding up very well under testing. If any of you are having issues with our old valves please send me an email at davidb@borla.com and I'lll make sure you get the new ones at not cost to you.
David, when ordering how do we ensure they are coming with the new valves rather than "old"?
Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #21
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkSS1LE View Post
David, when ordering how do we ensure they are coming with the new valves rather than "old"?
I think the new valves actually have the Borla logo on them. I have the Stype setup and I had NPP rattle. I reached out to Borla and it took a while but they just sent me replacements about 4 weeks ago. I noticed the old NPP valves did not have the Borla markings on them, but the replacements I got under warranty did have a very clear BORLA marking on them.

Ironically the old valves did not rattle at idle, but rather right off idle and loudly. The new replacements I got have a very slight jingle at idle, but make no rattle off idle or anywhere else. Since I can only hear the Jingle in Tour mode when standing behind the vehicle as it idles I decided to not reach out to Borla again. When I'm in the car I don't hear it and I didn't feel like taking the exhaust apart again to try another set of new valves (if Borla would have even believed me).
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
StateOfMind415

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NFG M6 MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I think the new valves actually have the Borla logo on them. I have the Stype setup and I had NPP rattle. I reached out to Borla and it took a while but they just sent me replacements about 4 weeks ago. I noticed the old NPP valves did not have the Borla markings on them, but the replacements I got under warranty did have a very clear BORLA marking on them.

Ironically the old valves did not rattle at idle, but rather right off idle and loudly. The new replacements I got have a very slight jingle at idle, but make no rattle off idle or anywhere else. Since I can only hear the Jingle in Tour mode when standing behind the vehicle as it idles I decided to not reach out to Borla again. When I'm in the car I don't hear it and I didn't feel like taking the exhaust apart again to try another set of new valves (if Borla would have even believed me).
Reach out to Borla again, they're aware of the issue.

I'm in the exact same situation as you. The original set of valves I got rattled badly and was the revised version with the Borla logo on it. The 2nd set I got which is currently on my car doesn't rattle as bad, but still has an annoying flutter sound. Sent David an email as he called out in the comment above and he forwarded my message to the customer service manager! They are now going to send me a 3rd replacement (revised version of the revised version, lol) which should resolve all the rattle/AFM issues out there. Apparently the revised valves were not holding up to Borla's standards, so they made more changes to the design and manufacturing.
StateOfMind415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #23
zepol9

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NGM
I have 60606 and at an with carbon tips shit sounds amazing going to add long tubes soon
zepol9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #24
Jfinley7

Hey just wanted to let everybody know that I installed the Atak axle back yesterday. So far I like it a lot! ������. Install was a breeze. To be honest it’s not near as loud as I thought it would be. With a name like “Atak” I thought it was going to be significantly louder than stock NPP in track mode but it’s really not. Don’t get me wrong though, IT IS LOUDER, but just not as loud as I had imagined it was going to be. I condsider this a good thing because I didn’t want it to be obnoxiously loud. However, the tone is a lot deeper and approximately 20% louder. It has a really nice “growl” to it and it’s much more “throaty” than the stock NPP which I really enjoy. I’d say the tone of the exhaust has greatly improved and just like Borla says, there is no drone. I’m glad I didn’t get the valves because now I know for sure that I didn’t need them and I can put that money I saved towards something else. I would also like to mention that I shaved approximately 20lbs off of the car from getting rid of that huge stock muffler. I sent my dad some side by side pics of the exhausts sitting on the ground and he thought I had removed my gas tank. That thing was ugly! I can honestly say that I’m completely satisfied with my purchase!

Thanks to all that replied to this thread it was much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Hey just wanted to let everybody know that I installed the Atak axle back yesterday. So far I like it a lot! ������. Install was a breeze. To be honest it’s not near as loud as I thought it would be. With a name like “Atak” I thought it was going to be significantly louder than stock NPP in track mode but it’s really not. Don’t get me wrong though, IT IS LOUDER, but just not as loud as I had imagined it was going to be. I condsider this a good thing because I didn’t want it to be obnoxiously loud. However, the tone is a lot deeper and approximately 20% louder. It has a really nice “growl” to it and it’s much more “throaty” than the stock NPP which I really enjoy. I’d say the tone of the exhaust has greatly improved and just like Borla says, there is no drone. I’m glad I didn’t get the valves because now I know for sure that I didn’t need them and I can put that money I saved towards something else. I would also like to mention that I shaved approximately 20lbs off of the car from getting rid of that huge stock muffler. I sent my dad some side by side pics of the exhausts sitting on the ground and he thought I had removed my gas tank. That thing was ugly! I can honestly say that I’m completely satisfied with my purchase!

thanks for this. good info to have.
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
StateOfMind415

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NFG M6 MRC NPP
Quote:

Wait until you pass the break in period after a few hundred/thousand miles. It's going to sound more pronounced and louder at cold start and overall driving. Loving mine!

Last edited by StateOfMind415; 10-07-2017 at 02:49 PM.
StateOfMind415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #27
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Finished up the install on the Atak today. I am also going from NPP to no NPP. Super easy install. I agree with the above poster that it is not as loud as I thought it would be. Very nice growl at start up and just a deep tone at cruise.

NO DRONE!!

Very happy with it so far. It was an expensive kit as I got the carbon fiber tips but I was going for looks as much as anything.
Attached Images

parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #28
Jfinley7

Congrats man! I’m really liking those carbon fiber tips. I almost bought those as well but I decided to stay with the polished. Just for FYI, the exhaust does get a little louder and the growl gets even more pronounced after a couple of days of driving. I guess there is a little break in period or adjustment to the new flow of the exhaust. Sounds amazing though and I’m super happy with it! If you ever want to hear it more inside the car just lay the back seat down. It’s a huge difference!

Last edited by Jfinley7; 10-08-2017 at 03:23 PM.