Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
Michelin P4S vs Toyo R888R?

Is anyone running the 4S's or R888R that has a supercharger? I'm putting 570hp to the rear wheels and I want a tire that can handle & hook decently. I had Pilot Super Sports (which were great), but they would spin when I got on it under 60mph (the traction control light would be instantly lit up). I just put Mickey Thompson ET S/S on the rear and even though they hook up great, I'm not digging that floaty feeling at higher speeds. I've messed with the tire pressure and guys I drive with say that I'll get used to it, but I'm not crazy about the handling of the car. I keep hearing everyone say what a great tire the new 4S & R888R are, but I would like some real world feedback from guys that are putting out over 550hp to the wheels.

I appreciate any feedback!
Old 09-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
mild2wild

Drives: 2017 1LE
Hey dude,

You'll need Sport Cup 2's to hook and still turn I bet. I wonder if the tires on the ZL1 1LE are available in 20" diamater; they are streetable R compounds.
mild2wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
What sizes are you running? As of last week I'm running the 305/30/20 p4s and I'm running a procharger that should be the same power level as you if not very slightly more. I can tell you that once they are warm they seem to hook very very well. They should be just fine for the street, but if you're going to the track you'll most definitely need a DR. That being said, if you're running a PD supercharger you will likely have more traction issues than me anyways, given the nature of when the power comes on which is much lower than mine.

P.s. If you don't drag race and are interested in selling your MT's I may be interested. I haven't tried my Michelins at the track yet but I will report back this coming Friday because I'm going to try it anyways, since I don't have DR's yet.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
What sizes are you running? As of last week I'm running the 305/30/20 p4s and I'm running a procharger that should be the same power level as you if not very slightly more. I can tell you that once they are warm they seem to hook very very well. They should be just fine for the street, but if you're going to the track you'll most definitely need a DR. That being said, if you're running a PD supercharger you will likely have more traction issues than me anyways, given the nature of when the power comes on which is much lower than mine.

P.s. If you don't drag race and are interested in selling your MT's I may be interested. I haven't tried my Michelins at the track yet but I will report back this coming Friday because I'm going to try it anyways, since I don't have DR's yet.
For the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I was running:
Front 285/30/20
Rear 305/30/20

For the Mickey Thompsons, I moved the wiring harness and I am running:
Rear 305/35/20

The car isn't a daily driver, I only take it out a few times a week. I know it's hard to find a perfect balance and I understand that I can't get everything in one tire, but I would like to have a perfect balance if possible. I'm not going to the drag strip and on Sunday nights we go out in large groups and have some fun running each other--just hate spinning to get traction.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I wouldn't recommend Cup 2s on the street because they're notorious for being hard to warm up even for track use, it will be only worse for street use.

I would look into 305/325 setup as with the 325s the rear grip improves by a huge margin
If the PS4S are offered in 305/30/19 and 325/30/19 sizes they may be a good option I believe.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I have the Pilot Sport 4S in stock SS size (275/35-20 on rear) and I'm pretty unimpressed with their straight-line traction at low speeds (1st or 2nd gear). Running just some mild bolt-ons, with a mere ~430rwhp (guess, no dyno like this), they've spun pretty easily.

Wonder how an RE71R would be?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The R888 was a great dry-warm-weather street tire, I ran it as my summer/street tire on my Exige S. The R888R uses the same compound, just a new carcass and tread. That tire in a 315/30-20 would fit the rear with the right wheel (11" width, et43 or less).

Also, this might be a surprise, but consider the SS 1LE and ZL1's Supercar 3 tire. 305/30-20 rear and the ZL1 guys, with similar power to you, seem to be fine with it.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I have the Pilot Sport 4S in stock SS size (275/35-20 on rear) and I'm pretty unimpressed with their straight-line traction at low speeds (1st or 2nd gear). Running just some mild bolt-ons, with a mere ~430rwhp (guess, no dyno like this), they've spun pretty easily.

Wonder how an RE71R would be?
I have 4s I have FBO including E85, there are much better than stock F1, I can actually use WOT top of 1st gear and about 1/3 of way thu second. don't think any tire will hook a M6 supercharger even 100 wear Nitto 555R drag. Sock size here. I would agree if you could get 305 or bigger on 19" you will get more hook. once again I don't think ANY street tire is going to hook a superchagered M6 car from 1st to 1/3 of the way thru third. Just learn to apply the power.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Ps4 FTW