Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #85
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
If Borla figured out a way around these crappy OEM valves then I'd pay for their exhaust and that would constitute R&D. Otherwise, I'm not buying that they all of a sudden decided to dump $$ into R&D because Chevy had a model change.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #86
Skyset

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
If Borla figured out a way around these crappy OEM valves then I'd pay for their exhaust and that would constitute R&D. Otherwise, I'm not buying that they all of a sudden decided to dump $$ into R&D because Chevy had a model change.
Exactly.

Borla has been making exhausts for literally 39 years. Are you telling me that they really needed to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into R&D to learn how NPP works? They've made many NPP exhausts before (for the 5th gen or other vehicle) that has not cost over $2000...
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:50 AM   #87
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I must say that I agree with most of the sentiment in here. I'm not overly eager to replace my NPP but, I can sure as he'll guarantee you that I won't spend even $1000 doing so. I cannot wrap my mind around some 304 stainless steel piping that costs anywhere near that number, attached to any sort of muffler. Now, if we were talking titanium piping or something special like that, ok, I can understand the increased costs.

Not too long ago, Borla showed off their axle back with the carbon fiber tips and NPP functionality. They were initially asking $2000. You can't be serious...it's an AXLE BACK.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #88
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyset View Post
Exactly.

Borla has been making exhausts for literally 39 years. Are you telling me that they really needed to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into R&D to learn how NPP works? They've made many NPP exhausts before (for the 5th gen or other vehicle) that has not cost over $2000...
My apologies but where did you hear that we "dumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into R&D to learn how NPP works"?
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #89
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
They do it because they can, and as long as people are willing to pay these prices and they make their quota I do not see anything changing.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #90
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Makes more sense to just go with the stock NPP. Unless someone comes out with a really great exhaust. So far most I have heard you can't tell much from stock.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #91
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
Ditto. I have magnaflow on the 350z. Only paid $700 for the full cat back, granted that was a decade ago.

No disrespect to borla or anyone who's running them, but the tone wasn't deep enough for my tastes. Flowmaster American thunder + kooks headers + kooks catted connection pipes = the v8 sound i was looking for.
I only paid $450 for my axleback Flowmasters on my old 2011 Camaro and that was in 2011. No way in hell am I paying more than that when I already have a perfectly good exhaust. I may as well be throwing money from the top floor of Trump Tower.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #92
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Makes more sense to just go with the stock NPP. Unless someone comes out with a really great exhaust. So far most I have heard you can't tell much from stock.
This all day long.

If you want increased volume, run LTs to the NPP and keep the ability to use the mode selector with no additional cost.

As someone who ran the S type on my 5th, I do find over 2k for just a cat back and 1k for axle back too much even considering the dual mode. Was told there would be no drone, there was.. but it was minimal and I didnt mind. I believe I was able to purchase my headers, intake, and S type cat back for under 2500 less than 6 years ago. Now it appears that is nearly the cost of a catback exhaust? If my idiot buddy wants to spend 6k for exhaust on his M4 thats on him, but this is a different clientele.

Nevertheless, the quality borla provides is fantastic. I do believe Borla uses a much higher quality steel / care with their product and make no mistake, Borla isn't the only one that seemingly doubled in cost over the last 5 years. Corsa is also charging 1200-1300 for an axle back.. granted, you guys could probably hunt for deals and get reduced costs.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.

Last edited by brantley847; 08-10-2017 at 11:00 AM.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #93
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I must say that I agree with most of the sentiment in here. I'm not overly eager to replace my NPP but, I can sure as he'll guarantee you that I won't spend even $1000 doing so. I cannot wrap my mind around some 304 stainless steel piping that costs anywhere near that number, attached to any sort of muffler. Now, if we were talking titanium piping or something special like that, ok, I can understand the increased costs.

Not too long ago, Borla showed off their axle back with the carbon fiber tips and NPP functionality. They were initially asking $2000. You can't be serious...it's an AXLE BACK.
We offer an axle-back for the 2016-2017 SS which can be bought for $730.99 - https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...aust-11922.htm

We also have a broad spectrum of other axle-backs with different tip options, mid-pipes that can be added later to further dial in the sound that's right for you, some with 2 sound levels/valves and some without, we even offer competition headers for purpose built race-cars with specially designed 3" cat-backs to go with them.

You guys picked the most extreme and expensive option to criticize which doesn't tell the whole story and it's a bit unfair to paint us with that brush when we have so many more affordable options available.

We've been through this pricing thing a few times on this forum and the end result typically demonstrates that our pricing is well within the boundaries of what's reasonable when compared to the competition. Hundreds of Camaro owners who have made purchases of Borla systems and other brands came to this conclusion on their own so I should probably just let this play out and stay out of it because you guys seem to figure this out on your own, in time.

The thing is, it truly disappoints me that any of you feel this way because the reality is that we've gone to great lengths to provide a whole slew of exhaust solutions for Camaro6 that are all of great value. We're bringing technology, design, quality, durability, material and style at a lower price point lower than anyone else in our space, and Made In The USA, by hand to boot. After going through this so many times with you guys I'm confident our systems are the greatest value at any price for your car.

This is a free market with dozens of competitors, we're a small family owned business and Camaro is a "must-win" platform for us. We wouldn't have held our position in the market for 40 years if we were greedy.

Since you mention Titanium systems with bi-modal/valves and Carbon Fiber tips, here are a few examples of what properly designed and engineered systems made from those materials, with valves cost.

$4,167 - https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...ck-p-7684.html

$4,500 - https://www.agency-power.com/shop/ti...yder-speciale/

$6,731 - https://n4sm.com/bmw-f80-m3-evolutio...bon-fiber-tips

From strictly a pricing perspective, the differences between these systems and ours is a few pounds in weight due to the weight difference of Titanium vs. T-304. The weight difference is about the same as what a typical gym bag weighs. We also incorporate patented technology that no one else can offer which is why we sound so unique. We're less than half the price.

We're bringing features and benefits that have been reserved for the 1% to the masses and I wish you guys would see that because it took a lot of work and sacrifice to accomplish and we're proud that we've been able to do it.

Last edited by david borla; 08-10-2017 at 11:41 AM.
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #94
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
You pay what you get. With new tech and generations of vehicles... People just want to spend less and less but to play the game, you gotta pay to play. You aren't just paying for brand names, you are paying for quality, perfectly crafted and hours and hours spent on R&D just so the product produced is fantastic. Like every product, it could have a defect but that's when the customer services kicks in and replaces that product. I would rather pay for a product that has absolutely zero issues with than to go cheap and have issues. That mentality goes for every single product, not just exhausts.

I am damn glad that I have a borla xpipe. No issues with it at all, fitment was perfect, install was easy. I've personally seen and heard multiple different brands with issues or having to jerry rig OEM parts to get exhausts fitment done and some are even laughable when it comes to their actual power gains.

As for titanium exhausts... 2k is a STEAL for an axle back. I love my NPP and I have no interested on getting it, but compared to Akrapovic (one of the, if not THE leading titanium and quality exhaust makers) it's half the price! No, Borla is not paying me or sending me products to say that. I have bought my xpipe, wasn't given free. Just use some common sense and do research before complaining about prices. Why is no one complaining about superchargers? Whipple is a grand more than the others but you do not see anyone complaining? Or a Procharger with extra options (helical gears, black coating, upgraded IC etc) is more expensive then Maggy? Why didn't people here buy a Mustang GT or a Challenger instead went with the Camaro? See where I am going with this?

Want cheap stuff? Go get cheap stuff. Want top notch? Gotta pay. I do understand that that paying good money on things means that it will be top notch. Seen too many products that are expensive but crap. That's why you have to do your research on everything before spending your money on them.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #95
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
We offer an axle-back for the 2016-2017 SS which can be bought for $730.99 - https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...aust-11922.htm

We also have a broad spectrum of other axle-backs with different tip options, mid-pipes that can be added later to further dial in the sound that's right for you, some with 2 sound levels/valves and some without, we even offer competition headers for purpose built race-cars with specially designed 3" cat-backs to go with them.

You guys picked the most extreme and expensive option to criticize which doesn't tell the whole story and it's a bit unfair to paint us with that brush when we have so many more affordable options available.

We've been through this pricing thing a few times on this forum and the end result typically demonstrates that our pricing is well within the boundaries of what's reasonable when compared to the competition. Hundreds of Camaro owners who have made purchases of Borla systems and other brands came to this conclusion on their own so I should probably just let this play out and stay out of it because you guys seem to figure this out on your own, in time.

The thing is, it truly disappoints me that any of you feel this way because the reality is that we've gone to great lengths to provide a whole slew of exhaust solutions for Camaro6 that are all of great value. We're bringing technology, design, quality, durability, material and style at a lower price point lower than anyone else in our space, and Made In The USA, by hand to boot. After going through this so many times with you guys I'm confident our systems are the greatest value at any price for your car.

This is a free market with dozens of competitors, we're a small family owned business and Camaro is a "must-win" platform for us. We wouldn't have held our position in the market for 40 years if we were greedy.

Since you mention Titanium systems with bi-modal/valves and Carbon Fiber tips, here are a few examples of what properly designed and engineered systems made from those materials, with valves cost.

From strictly a pricing perspective, the differences between these systems and ours is a few pounds in weight due to the weight difference of Titanium vs. T-304. The weight difference is about the same as what a typical gym bag weighs. We also incorporate patented technology that no one else can offer which is why we sound so unique. We're less than half the price.

We're bringing features and benefits that have been reserved for the 1% to the masses and I wish you guys would see that because it took a lot of work and sacrifice to accomplish and we're proud that we've been able to do it.
I purchased probably one of the most expensive versions of your full system for my 2017 Camaro SS, the 60609 and 11924. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I waited for Phastek to have a sale and pulled the trigger.

Very satisfied customer here
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #96
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I purchased probably one of the most expensive versions of your full system for my 2017 Camaro SS, the 60609 and 11924. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I waited for Phastek to have a sale and pulled the trigger.

As an owner of the S type, I think part of the issue is pricing on their website. Many go directly to their home page to initially gauge cost and for the discussion of this forum very few of us are going to visit 7 website to say "SEE I TOLD YOU ITS CHEAPER HERE!!"

If borla isn't generally selling direct from manufacturer then maybe take the prices off the site? We have borla reps themselves now citing distributors instead of their own site..

So we have people who are on the fence about purchasing in this thread that appear to be completely turned off and are not seeking further
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #97
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post

Can you make me an exhaust that sounds as sweet as this.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #98
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post

Lets hear how your sounds.