Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
clrkmr

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Phone problems on first call

This just started happening about a month ago. Most of the times (About 80%+) when I start the car and driver off and make a phone call, the first time I call (out or call coming in) the phone connects, but I hear nothing on my side and the person on the other side gets loud static. Hanging up and redialing works fine and it doesn't happen again during the drive. It only happens on the first call in or out.

I have a 2017 2SS and I use Bluetooth to connect.

Anyone else have this happen?

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized there is another thread with this same issue. I did a bunch of searches and nothing came up. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502915
clrkmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
That's me. How odd. Same exact issue. What phone are you using? I have a galaxy s7.

Trying to think back if there was an OTA update on the phone that might have caused this... You don't, by any chance, have MobileIron installed on your device for work email, do you? I feel like this might have started after that was installed but I am not too sure.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
stook2001

One more interesting detail... This may or may not be a factor. I have noticed that when I use the dial pad on the mylink unit that I may not run into this issue. I need to test it more to see if this is true. I normally run into this issue when using the recent calls list to dial back out. Any similarity on your end?

More info would be great. I need to spend some more time testing this...
Old 07-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
clrkmr

Galaxy S7. And yes I think it started after a phone update, but it is one of those things that when it was first happening I dismissed it as just a bad cell connection. So I can't confirm this.

But I also had my car in for service and I don't know if they updated Mylink at that time too.

No to MobileIron. And I have not added any apps to my phone since this started. I have had the phone since long before the Camaro. And have had zero issues with the Camaro until about the past few months.

Since it only happens about 80% of the time, it is hard to say if using the dial pad is different. I use voice activated calling 95% of the time. I do use the redial a little bit, but never the first call. Only when calling someone back who didn't answer the first time.

Over various cars (mostly Lexus, but others too) I have always had bluetooth compatibility issues with phones and the car. The dealer says it is the phone manufacturer who hasn't updated the phone, the phone company says talk to the dealer it is their version of bluetooth. The problem is bluetooth is constantly changing and there are glitches between versions.

I have to bring my car in to have the NPP exhaust replaced due to a rattle issue in the next few weeks. I will ask them to update Mylink at that time and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
stook2001

Anybody else seeing this issue with a Galaxy S7? FWIW, I haven't reproduced the issue using the dial pad function on the dash. Very strange. I don't make a lot of calls in the car (1 or 2 a day) so I am not sure the sample size is big enough to say with certainty if it never happens in that case.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
clrkmr

My S7 updated the past weekend and I have not had the issues since. Though we are only talking 3 days and it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I will keep checking and let you know what I find. I do believe the Chevy dealer updated some software at my last service as that is when I started having issues. Maybe just a version issue between Mylink and S7 software. But lets wait a few weeks and see. My car is in getting the NPP exhaust replaced today.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
I also just started having this problem about a month ago and it is not 100% of the time.

I have a galaxy S8
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
clrkmr

It has now been 6 days since my phone updated to the latest S7 release from AT&T and I have not had this issue since.

Android info if this helps anyone:

Security level: July 1, 2017
Kernel version: 3/18/31-11614766 (Dated: Wed, July 12 12:04:08 2017)
Build Number: NRD90M.G930AUCU4BQG1
Baseband version: G930AUCU4BQG1