Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
dealers don't know squat about zl1 1le cars

I took my car in today to schedule a september fluid change and some other items and the service manager sat in it and when he was logging it in with the vin he was having problems. Then he noticed, he thought it was a corvette. Then he said, thats a camaro. No Sh--.
These guys have never seen these cars.
At least he knew the rear differential fluid has been upgraded in the ac delco number.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Well come on...you got a unicorn there brother.

Give the guy a break...he likely won't see another until you take it back.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
utsteve98

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 2017 Ford Raptor
Lol. One of the technicians actually changing the oil on my car put in his notes that the car needed new tires. The service advisor told me and chuckled when he saw that. Guess even the guys that work on these cars don't even know that it comes with borderline slicks.
utsteve98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
four0nefive

Drives: Nothing Fast (Yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
Lol. One of the technicians actually changing the oil on my car put in his notes that the car needed new tires. The service advisor told me and chuckled when he saw that. Guess even the guys that work on these cars don't even know that it comes with borderline slicks.
Reminds me of the time my uncle went to a track day with me last year. He was checking out a new C7 Z06/Z07 and says "Wow, he's at the track with worn down tires?" He didn't know that they made near slicks for the road (Also on the subject of near slicks, did you know Hoosier R7/A7s are technically street legal? They even come with a DOT label!).
four0nefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #5
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
Scary part is he changed your oil
Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
they are all naive and could care less about selling cars. Its about numbers.
1.5 months ago i went to 2 local dealerships to ask about allocations for this car. They looked at me .... both dealerships..managers said verbatim "ive never heard of the ZL1 1LE"

I said thanks and take care.
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1

I know ALL Camaro's
.....including the ZL1 1LE
...........Very Well!

My Journey to Camaro Fest VII - with a ZL1 1LE

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
For service, need to pick your dealerships carefully. The key is to look for the dealer that sells a good number of the performance line. Look for a dealer that sponsors an enthusiast club, Camaro, Corvette, either one. These are the dealers that have a better understanding of performance customers. They are the dealers that will invest money into sending their lead techs to GM training sessions, in order to maintain the loyalty with enthusiasts.

The other dealers are more interested in selling the bread and butter lines, Malibu, Cruze and Trucks. Sure, they might have a Camaro or Corvette in the showroom, but they are just there for the Halo effect, to bring people in to gawk at while they're looking for that family vehicle. They are not going to invest the time and money into learning about something they really have no interest in selling or servicing. They would actually prefer you took it somewhere else because they know the enthusiast buyer is too picky and too hard to please. They know we know more about the car then they do.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
My dealer who is doing my service always has a boatload of corvettes. I live in Florida. Every guy over 70 has white hair and a corvette convertible and is holding up traffic.

The chevy dealer sent me to local upholstery shop to fix my unglued suede by the knee pad on the center console. The upholstery guys race at a local oval track we have. They saw the car and loved the tires. They actually knew what they were.
The service manager is going to let me be back there with the mechanic in September and has assigned the best mechanic he has.
These tires are not good at all in heavy rain. two hours on a single lane twisty back road wailing on it was a blast. In track mode with all the electronic stuff turned off it drives great.
The road is in horse country and not smooth so car was bouncing all around a lot.
Had 30 minutes of hard heavy rain and has to slow way way down like around 40. Above that it started to hydroplane too much.
What a great car.
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
*Service Manager opens the passenger door*

"Oh, the wheel is on the other side".

-Service Manager, probably
Old 08-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I would never let any dealer touch my ZL1-1LE for anything....period.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post

I know ALL Camaro's
.....including the ZL1 1LE
...........Very Well!

My Journey to Camaro Fest VII - with a ZL1 1LE

Becky
I can verify that !
She's driven them ALL, and owes most of them herself!!

Rodger's Rocks !
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
You have to put things in perspective a bit. A lot of dealers don't get ZL1s let alone ZL1-1LEs. And not every dealer has the ability to spend time on a forum specific to a particular car. That doesn't immediately mean they are incompetent, careless, or can't change the fluids on a car.

Having said that, if that's what you expect when you take your car in for service, then check out the dealer before you purchase and certainly before you take your car in for service.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
You have to put things in perspective a bit. A lot of dealers don't get ZL1s let alone ZL1-1LEs. And not every dealer has the ability to spend time on a forum specific to a particular car. That doesn't immediately mean they are incompetent, careless, or can't change the fluids on a car.

Having said that, if that's what you expect when you take your car in for service, then check out the dealer before you purchase and certainly before you take your car in for service.
Perfectly said.... also, what motivates salesman is money. And in many cases a hot car like the 1le or even a ZL1 or Z06 pays less commission than your average Camaro or even a SS Camaro. Why? Because the dealer puts a "pack" on hot cars, because he doesn't think you actually sell them, you just take orders.... a "pack" is money that is deducted from the computed commission, usually $300-$500. Or in many dealerships, all the cars carry a pack.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote