Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
SS 1LE spoiler installed

Ok, first I want to thank Matt(ThatGMPartsGuy) for a quick and speedy delivery of the spoiler. Install took 1 1/2 hours. By reading the forum and watching videos I knew ahead of time what to do and NOT to do. Here's what I did and the install was a piece of cake because of preparation. Love the look of this spoiler. Subtle, not over the top look, but still has aggressive style.

1. Cover your bumper to avoid scratches from leaning on it.

2. Remove the under trunk cover piece. Like 8 push pins(using trim tool) and the trunk latch cover just pulls off.

3. The middle three connectors on the spoiler are plastic clips. It is very important that you BREAK these clips off. Then, remove the 6 bolts holding the spoiler on. By breaking the clips the spoiler will come off much easier. Saw video of people having a hard time trying to get the spoiler off before breaking the clips. Also, on the bolts the 2 inner bolts on either side are pretty deep. Be careful not to drop the nut in the trunk when taking them off. You are not going to get it out. I used a magnetic rod and used it to take the nut out after I got it almost off with the ratchet. Other bolts much easier, but you need to be aware not to drop the nuts.

4. Now the only thing holding the spoiler in place is 3M double sided tape. I used braided fishing line to cut through one end of the spoiler tape. I was then able to get my fingers under and then it was just a matter of pulling it off. Once it starts coming it will break free pretty easy.

5. Next I used Goo Gone to soak the remaining 3M tape on the trunk. I let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then I just basically rolled it off with my fingers wearing Nitrile gloves.

6. I cleaned the whole area with Isopropyl alcohol.

7. Inserted the middle clip that came with the spoiler. They acutally give you 3 clips, not sure why, but you only need the middle one. They wont fit anywhere else.

8. I test fitted the spoiler before installing just to see where to line it up. The new spoiler comes with 3M tape on the back edge and sides. Also the bolts in the spoiler have black plastic caps, remove those. I removed the red protective layer from the 3M tape, lined the spoiler up and pushed it on. I then opened the trunk to put the nuts on the bolts. I only used the outer two studs on the spoiler to tighten it down. It is plenty secure without using the inner two studs.

9. End pieces were last to go on. They only stick on with double sided tape. Pre-fit these so you know where they go. Once you know exactly where to put them, clean the area really well with the included 3M adhesion promoter. It is a isopropyl alcohol towelette. Peel the protective film off the 3M tape and stick in place. Key is to know where they go before you stick um.

Tools used: 10mm long sock, small ratchet with extension, braided fishing line, Goo Gone, Isopropyl alcohol, magnetic pickup rod, trim tool.

Install went very well. I researched it a lot before I did the install. That was the key for me. Also be patient, don't get in a hurry. I knew what I was going to do before I did it. Needless to say I have an RS spoiler for sale. Gloss black. If you have any questions let me know.
Attached Images

Last edited by Michigan1LTRS; 07-26-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Michigan1LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Jamesg89

Drives: 2019 2SS & 1998 SS
Looks good! I wish I could use this spoiler.
Jamesg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesg89 View Post
Looks good! I wish I could use this spoiler.
Yeah, that stinks that the SS needs a trunk change as well, or body work to get this look. Trunk swap is your best bet. A few on this forum have done it.