Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
SpeedDemon77

Drives: Garnet Red 2017 2SS
Borla S-Type or ATAK or just another exhaust in general?

I am looking to buy a cat back or axle back(havent decided yet) But I definitely looked at Borla, Stainless Works, Corsa, ARH etc. What is the best exhaust for what im looking for(more of a race car tone with lots of pop and I like it quite loud. Id rather not sound like a truck with a V8 if you get me. I want it to idle sorta loud but definitely be audible in the lower rpm range with minimal drone if possible.) Post the exhausts you guys love and why you love them. Also try to refer me to whatever you like! Also if someone can explain why everyone loves the S-type over the Atak that would be great(I assume because its quieter) I have never heard any custom exhaust on a 6th gen Camaro in person so anyone who has heard one they liked, once again a suggestion would be fantastic! Video's and pictures are perfect and fyi from the factory I have the npp(I never use the npp feature so losing it doesnt hurt),!
SpeedDemon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
obarry13

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I am interested in the same as you SpeedDemon77. Definitely hope this thread gets some feedback. Stuck trying to decide between a Borla and a Hooker Blackheart setup right now on my A8. Definitely want to keep my AFM valves and if possible (budget) the NPP functionality.
obarry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon77 View Post
I am looking to buy a cat back or axle back(havent decided yet) But I definitely looked at Borla, Stainless Works, Corsa, ARH etc. What is the best exhaust for what im looking for(more of a race car tone with lots of pop and I like it quite loud. Id rather not sound like a truck with a V8 if you get me. I want it to idle sorta loud but definitely be audible in the lower rpm range with minimal drone if possible.) Post the exhausts you guys love and why you love them. Also try to refer me to whatever you like! Also if someone can explain why everyone loves the S-type over the Atak that would be great(I assume because its quieter) I have never heard any custom exhaust on a 6th gen Camaro in person so anyone who has heard one they liked, once again a suggestion would be fantastic! Video's and pictures are perfect and fyi from the factory I have the npp(I never use the npp feature so losing it doesnt hurt),!
Borla ATAK fits the bill - it will be loud, aggressive, with a great tone throughout the powerband and zero drone. The axleback w/out NPP is your best value - that's what I have as I didn't use the NPP and don't miss it. Anything else besides Corsa will drone and will depend on your tolerance for it, of which I have none.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
SpeedDemon77

Drives: Garnet Red 2017 2SS
haha I also dont like drone I was also looking at the Corsa Xtreme Exhaust. I cant tell which is louder between the Borla and Corsa but they both sound great. Do you have any sound clips of your setup @somewhatdamaged?
SpeedDemon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon77 View Post
haha I also dont like drone I was also looking at the Corsa Xtreme Exhaust. I cant tell which is louder between the Borla and Corsa but they both sound great. Do you have any sound clips of your setup @somewhatdamaged?
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476988

Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
PK Auto Design

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet SS 1LE
Go onto the Borla website they have the soundfiles and check it from there.

Then let me know which one you want and I can get you pricing for the systems.
PK Auto Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
I started with the Borla midpipe and it changed the sound, made it louder, and increased the gurgle and pop. I'm thinking the secondary cat delete isn't the only reason and that their x pipe is helping with the sound. You could try this first and see how you like it and then go from there. It's relatively cheap, can get for much less than their list price.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
obarry13

So I found a really good deal I might jump on for the Borla ATAK Axle back and Smog legal midpipe, but I had a question. If down the road I want to delete the secondary cats, I couldn't use the Borla 60626 correct since that is for the 3" pipe and the midpipe I am looking at (60610) is a 2.75". Would I need to get a shop to weld a straight through pipe at that time? Just trying to decide if I should just spend a little bit more and delete it now. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
Kingpin2k7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 with NPP
I deleted mine with the 60606 which is the Mid pipe and X-pipe with the secondary Cat Delete. I also have the Borla ATAK Axle back with NPP function.
Kingpin2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
obarry13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin2k7 View Post
I deleted mine with the 60606 which is the Mid pipe and X-pipe with the secondary Cat Delete. I also have the Borla ATAK Axle back with NPP function.
Yeah if I decide to delete it now I will just go with the 60609 since I want to keep the AFM functionality, but I am going with 11921 since I have never used my NPP functionality since I got the car, pulled the plug a week after purchase.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by obarry13 View Post
Yeah if I decide to delete it now I will just go with the 60609 since I want to keep the AFM functionality, but I am going with 11921 since I have never used my NPP functionality since I got the car, pulled the plug a week after purchase.
Yeah you can just cut and weld in 2.75" pipe to delete the secondary cats later, but I would just go with it right off the bat. It gives maybe 15-20 % increase in volume, no CEL if welded correctly.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
2SSHIFT

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm guessing you can kiss your warranty goodbye if you delete the secondary cats? Dealer told me axle back was fine but didn't ask about the secondary cats.
2SSHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSHIFT View Post
I'm guessing you can kiss your warranty goodbye if you delete the secondary cats? Dealer told me axle back was fine but didn't ask about the secondary cats.
Different dealers will give different answers, but mine told me that as long as you dont mess with the o2 sensor, your warranty is ok. So i know i could do a secondary cat delete with no worries. But, deleting those is still tampering with emmissions equipment, so they can still deny your warranty claims if they want just for that. Its up to you and your relationship with your dealer.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 AM   #14
SuperSteveSS

Drives: 2017 ss
Will the ATAK and the S type have the same volume inside the cabin?
SuperSteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust axle back, exhaust axle back videos