Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
black96lt1

Drives: 1996 z28
Axle shaft bolts came out today!

So I was driving and I feel a slight vibration. No other noises or anything just a slight vibration that I first thought was from the road(contruction zone) or tire. But I wasn't getting any alerts about tire pressure and then after probably less than 3 miles from the start I hear and feel something let go in the rear and then a grinding noise. And then it felt like the transmission was slipping so I immediately pull over and get out I can immediately smell the differential fluid and look under and see the drivers side axle shaft has decided to divorce itself from the diff!

Car is a 2016 2ss auto with 17k miles. I've never abused it either. I drive it fast but never anything that would hurt the rear end like that. Definitely disappointed in it. Still love the car but definitely a downer.

black96lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
That's a bummer. There have been other members here that have had those bolts back out as well.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
There has to be something that can be done to try to prevent this from happening. A good soaking with Loctite 290 maybe?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
black96lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
There has to be something that can be done to try to prevent this from happening. A good soaking with Loctite 290 maybe?
A mechanic on another board posted a TSB that called for longer bolts

TSB # 16-NA-399

Subject: Information on Replacing Half Shaft Fasteners with Revised Parts

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

ATS-V

LF3, LF4, LT1, LT4

CTS-V

Chevrolet

Camaro

Involved Region or Country

North America and N.A. Export Regions

Condition

The technician may need to perform a repair that requires the half shaft bolts to be removed.
Information

This bulletin advises the Service Technician of new longer bolts and lock washers required to be installed during any repair that requires the half shaft bolts to be removed or replaced.

Three retainer assemblies required per half-shaft.
Each retainer (3) requires 2 bolts (1) and 2 washers (2) to make a retainer assembly.
Where applicable, each axle assembly uses 3 retainer assemblies per side.
Each repair kit contains 6 bolts and 6 washers. 1 kit for each half shaft.
Replacement of all axle bolts are required during repair.

Correction

If half-shaft has been separated from the differential:

Remove and discard only the half shaft bolts.
If required, clean and reuse retainers.
Replace the shorter bolts (1) with a new longer bolt (2) and washer.
Install the lock washers onto the bolts.
Install bolt and washer assembly into retainer.
Torque bolts to proper torque specifications. Refer to Fastener Specifications in SI.

Service stock half shafts may include POA bolt/retainer assemblies. These assemblies may require rework with longer fasteners.

The new half shaft bolts must be removed, measured and discarded if the length is incorrect.

Parts Information

Note: To obtain the bolts and washers, fax the form included in this bulletin to the GM Warranty Parts Center (WPC). Request WPC #816.

Use the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), SI, and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog to determine the proper part numbers for the half shaft, if replacement is required:

Description

Part Number

Qty

Bolt/Washer

WPC #816

1 kit (6 bolts/6 washers)

IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN PRINTING THIS FORM: If the form prints out on two pages, make certain you fax BOTH pages so that the WPC receives all the needed information. Missing information will delay or prevent the part from being shipped.

Parts Request Form – Warranty Parts Center

Use this form ONLY for U.S. and Canadian Dealers. Export markets and Mexico Dealers must contact their regional Technical Assistance Center for assistance.

To: Warranty Parts Center

e-mail: warrantypartscenterUSA@gm.com

or WPC Fax: 248-371-0192

Attn: Temporary Service Parts

Part Being Requested: WPC #816 Bolt and Washer kit
Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Did that post contain the actual document or only the text? I'd email it in and try to get a set for myself since there is no part number for them.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
black96lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
Did that post contain the actual document or only the text? I'd email it in and try to get a set for myself since there is no part number for them.
He put up only the text but here is a little better look at it:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...formation.html

You might be able to get it from the dealer with the TSB# or wpc #816
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
This would be bad on a road course at high speed. I still can't believe a lot of issues have been going on for over a year now and nothing has been corrected on the assembly line. I do know for those that fix these issues themselves it never gets reported to GM to let them know how big of a problem these really are. I hope this one doesn't happen to me when I'm tracking my ZL1.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
This would be bad on a road course at high speed. I still can't believe a lot of issues have been going on for over a year now and nothing has been corrected on the assembly line. I do know for those that fix these issues themselves it never gets reported to GM to let them know how big of a problem these really are. I hope this one doesn't happen to me when I'm tracking my ZL1.
If you can find a part number for the new longer bolts, you could go to a Chevy parts and run your vin for the bolts and see if the new or old bolts come up???
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by black96lt1 View Post
So I was driving and I feel a slight vibration. No other noises or anything just a slight vibration that I first thought was from the road(contruction zone) or tire. But I wasn't getting any alerts about tire pressure and then after probably less than 3 miles from the start I hear and feel something let go in the rear and then a grinding noise. And then it felt like the transmission was slipping so I immediately pull over and get out I can immediately smell the differential fluid and look under and see the drivers side axle shaft has decided to divorce itself from the diff!

Car is a 2016 2ss auto with 17k miles. I've never abused it either. I drive it fast but never anything that would hurt the rear end like that. Definitely disappointed in it. Still love the car but definitely a downer.

Prior to that did you ever notice any other vibrations at any other time? Reason I am asking is like you I don't punish the car but over the last 3-4 months (have had it 13 months now) I have noticed a transient vibe around the 33-35 mph range and again at 43-45. Doesn't last long but I notice it and it is not consistent. I have been tracking other vibration discussions but have yet to cross anything similar. In addition I am not overly worried about it right now as it is barely noticeable and I know that a dealer road test would probably come back with a negative finding. Negative in this instance being their inability to duplicate it.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
black96lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Prior to that did you ever notice any other vibrations at any other time? Reason I am asking is like you I don't punish the car but over the last 3-4 months (have had it 13 months now) I have noticed a transient vibe around the 33-35 mph range and again at 43-45. Doesn't last long but I notice it and it is not consistent. I have been tracking other vibration discussions but have yet to cross anything similar. In addition I am not overly worried about it right now as it is barely noticeable and I know that a dealer road test would probably come back with a negative finding. Negative in this instance being their inability to duplicate it.
never any other issues. It started within 5 miles of it letting go. It did have the differential noise but that was only when the weather was below 45 and only for the first mile or 2.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
stook2001

Drives: 99 M3, 04 STi, 16 2SS
Just took my car in for a semi-related issue and figured I would post here rather than adding a new thread.

Noticed last night pulling into my driveway that I had some kind of scraping / grinding / squeaking noise from the rear of the car. Took it in this morning (dealer is fortunately about 1 mile or so from my house). I immediately assumed that my diff was toast since I still have some diff noise like pretty much everyone else. Anyway, turns out that axle bolts were under torqued. From the explanation that I was given, it was the opposite end of the axle to the OP, ie. at the hub. Car has 7k currently. Not abused AT ALL. Not one burn out, never raced, etc. pure daily driver.

It's a mystery to me how this could cause the symptoms that I had but they retorqued the bolts to spec and it does seem to fixed for the moment. From the service guy's description, they seemed rather mystified by it as well but apparently the GM service protocol calls for checking this and sure enough it seemed to fix it.

I expressed my concern about wear to the axle or hub splines given the noise but was assured it was completely fine (not so sure about that, but probably not much I can do about it).
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #12
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Well... thats not supposed to happen.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Regardless of any issues, axle bolts on a car like this are something that I would recommend checking at each oil change...if the bolts are backing out, you can most likely catch it then. I checked mine at 1000 miles, and they are all good.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Maybe you have one of the bad torque converters?