Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #281
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I know you are being a bit sarcastic but $500+ for a performance part that doesn't add appreciable power is absolutely a terrible deal. Especially considering this a basic bolt on that can be removed in about 20 mins if you need to take it to a dealer. So what real value does "not voiding the warranty" have here? If this was a cam or headers that's quite a different story.
Its not just the CAI that I'm interested in but the tune as well. I bet the tune will bring power up more then just the CAI alone. The GM warranty is just icing on the cake
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #282
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
If you recall there was a TSB about, I want to say melted piston heads, and GM basically blamed it on increased air flow (running lean) from a CAI.

This is probably why they have included a tune with their CAI. Good call on their part.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #283
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Just the fact that the tune is free but the install may cost you at the dealer is just crazy. Now if you do it yourself, which most of want to do, then I would love to see what the dealer does, not supposed to charge for the tune/recalibration. Need some clarification if possible from GM/Chevy.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #284
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
I was kind of being sarcastic but after all of the testing of CAI's on here for power gains, we're looking at minimal gains even with the best one on the market. Jannetty's testing showed 5whp after every part was thrown on the car. That's for a $439.95 setup. CAI's just don't make power on this car. So it comes down to looks/bias and MAF transfer function being correct for the majority of us.

If the engine blows on track or somewhere where you cannot take it back to your garage to swap the intake out...you'd have an issue. Since being away from your garage when the motor lets loose is going to be the time it happens, you're kind of stuck. (unless you want to tow it home then tow it to a dealer - there's the $120, easily). Or you could carry the factory intake in your trunk just in case. It's far easier to just acknowledge that CAIs don't make much power on this platform, enjoy the noise it makes, how it looks under the hood and not worry about the dealer giving you crap if you're stuck on the side of the road after hooning for a bit with only a tow in sight.

Now, is it likely the motor lets loose? Of course not. Is it likely that a CAI would be the cause of it? Doubtful unless the MAF is all jacked up. I do acknowledge we are talking about a very slim percentage here.

Just my .02
Agree completely with your first statement. As for breaking out in the wild, IMO hauling the car back to my house then to the dealer would be worth it...if their intake doesn't really make any power over the competition. Now if it is comparable in power gains and they will let you install it yourself, then get the reflash at the dealer...it's a no brainer. But I doubt it is going to work like that.

And paying that much money for a "cosmetic performance" item does not appeal to me at all. The hassle of changing it to stock from one that actually makes power and doesn't need a tune to do so like Rotofab, is much easier justify IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Its not just the CAI that I'm interested in but the tune as well. I bet the tune will bring power up more then just the CAI alone. The GM warranty is just icing on the cake
I doubt it. A) GM advertises no power increase (Even Ford advertise power increases with their stuff). B) Most likely all it does is fix the MAF readings like has been discussed in numerous threads. So think "driveability" tune. We just need to wait until some real private testing is done and more facts about the "warranty" come out.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #285
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Agree completely with your first statement. As for breaking out in the wild, IMO hauling the car back to my house then to the dealer would be worth it...if their intake doesn't really make any power over the competition. Now if it is comparable in power gains and they will let you install it yourself, then get the reflash at the dealer...it's a no brainer. But I doubt it is going to work like that.

And paying that much money for a "cosmetic performance" item does not appeal to me at all. The hassle of changing it to stock from one that actually makes power and doesn't need a tune to do so like Rotofab, is much easier justify IMO.

I doubt it. A) GM advertises no power increase (Even Ford advertise power increases with their stuff). B) Most likely all it does is fix the MAF readings like has been discussed in numerous threads. So think "driveability" tune. We just need to wait until some real private testing is done and more facts about the "warranty" come out.
You're going to love this: Apparently it's been confirmed by TGMPG that this GMPP intake is indeed 100% the CAI intake.

Which means we all just waited almost a year for something available in the aftermarket.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #286
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Agree. I think the "tune" is just a reflash to make sure fuel trims and emissions and such are where they should be.

Now, we wait for independent dyno tests.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #287
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
So if you are in a state where you can purchase the intake, but the tune is not allowed, what would be the point?
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #288
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
So if you are in a state where you can purchase the intake, but the tune is not allowed, what would be the point?
There wouldn't be one. Buy the CAI and get a tune to correct for the MAF Transfer function. done. *

* - other than the warranty part
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #289
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hey people, enough already about the negative replies! If you don't want to waste your money on one then don't but some folks want to buy one for their Camaro. And you may or may not want to believe this but my Cold Air Inductions system made a difference that I could feel in my 2SS so in my case it wasn't a waste of money for me. So lighten up folks as we are all Camaro enthusiasts!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #290
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Hey people, enough already about the negative replies! If you don't want to waste your money on one then don't but some folks want to buy one for their Camaro. And you may or may not want to believe this but my Cold Air Inductions system made a difference that I could feel in my 2SS so in my case it wasn't a waste of money for me. So lighten up folks as we are all Camaro enthusiasts!
I don't they are all negative, I have been waiting for this intake, specifically to not void my warranty. My only real concern which annoys me is the fact that if I install the intske myself, I may not just be able to bring it to the dealer and my it tuned/'flashed without them charging me. Now my dealer who I have been going to for 12 years, have spent a lot of $ at and know pretty much everyone there including the sales manager who I frequently see and talk to, probably wont give me a hard time, but I haven't asked them yet. I am not paying $100+ for an intake install that I can do in 15 mins myself in my garage, especially when the intake is already $400+.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #291
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I don't they are all negative, I have been waiting for this intake, specifically to not void my warranty. My only real concern which annoys me is the fact that if I install the intske myself, I may not just be able to bring it to the dealer and my it tuned/'flashed without them charging me. Now my dealer who I have been going to for 12 years, have spent a lot of $ at and know pretty much everyone there including the sales manager who I frequently see and talk to, probably wont give me a hard time, but I haven't asked them yet. I am not paying $100+ for an intake install that I can do in 15 mins myself in my garage, especially when the intake is already $400+.
I keep reading that the install is free regardless of where you buy it
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #292
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Think you are the one who should lighten up. There's nothing but friendly debate and discussion here, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #293
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I wanted one too but figured it wouldn't be released by GM. I understand most of the replies about the system and agree but a few people said they didn't want to spend money on a part that wouldn't produce any hp gains. That's the people I was referring to in my reply!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #294
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
I keep reading that the install is free regardless of where you buy it
The tune is free, not the install.