Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Upgraded stereo system not sounding great

Went to a recommended shop audio frogs soeakers power amp high end up audio the mylink is competing w the sound of the new components the shop is dumb founded . I really missed my c7 stereo vs the 1ss anyone upgrade stereo to have it great ? I'm an audiophile home recorder and love that clear separated sound . Is it not possible ? Anything I should tell them bro try before I go back to stock ? Also my air conditioner stopped working after they did the install ! Any wires I should point to them man makes me want the 2SS 1le I truly love a great stereo
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Check the Audio thread.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228

The 2SS is even more of a PITA due to the Bose system (proprietary amp) that has to be bypassed/implemented. Good luck my man!

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
As a suggestion, To Bose and non-Bose system owners both, leave it be.

The rear side panels are a pain to remove, and I doubt they can put it back as tight as original. Doors the same. You will get rattles. And then the problem of the weird setup that the OP has, it's not like traditional systems.

If you want better sound next time just buy it installed stock with these cars.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Dam screwed
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
Dam screwed
You're not screwed, there are plenty of members on here that have upgraded the stock 1SS/2SS stereo system, just have to do the legwork and search through the thread I posted above. If your Audio dealer can't figure out what is going on, time to find another audio dealer that is more competent with the MyLink system.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
+1 on Sev's point. There are many solutions out there to make these systems sound very good. Some folks here don't want to add amps, other's don't want to introduce DSP, etc. if shortcuts are taken the expectations need to go down drastically. Now, I obviously don't know anything about this particular shop but the fact that AC is not working plus their dumbfoundness makes me question their competency a little bit.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
A fellow audiophile here. I recently went back to Tidal HIFI for use at my office. I also use it in my Camaro with Apple CarPlay. I've noticed a massive improvement to the quality of the Bose system in my 2SS. Of course there is a very big difference from MP3 audio to lossless quality audio. It is not reference quality in the Bose system, but still very satisfying. I would suggest trying it out. You'll need to be careful about data usage on your phone, though.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
makes me want the 2SS 1le I truly love a great stereo
The Bose system is not a great stereo, IMHO. It is pretty good, but I wish they would've spent $100 more and charged me $500.
There are some good threads on modifying the 1ss non-Bose. With that system you can get line level (or something close enough to be considered line level) off the head unit. That is a big advantage compared to the Bose setup, where the communication between head unit and Bose amp is over MOST.
The "competing sound" bit makes me think they did not disable the ANC system by cutting the wires to the door microphones.
The fact that you have "no A/C" makes me question the installers' skills, as others have mentioned. Really, that's a new one.

Last edited by ctrlz; 05-11-2017 at 08:50 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
You probably need to de-activate the Active Noise Cancellation. Most people unplug the microphones in the doors.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:47 AM   #10
JetBlast77
TxAg80

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE, '00 Integra Ty R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Check the Audio thread.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228

The 2SS is even more of a PITA due to the Bose system (proprietary amp) that has to be bypassed/implemented. Good luck my man!
What Sev said. Look at subwoofer install. I was looking recently as I'm wanting one. There was a post with detailed instructions and a bunch of photos showing all the connections and schematics. I'm wanting to avoid similar problems.
Were they able to remove and replace the passenger interior panel to get to 1LE amp with out messing anything up?
10 weeks
.Typical drive home from work
JetBlast77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #11
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The Bose system is not a great stereo, IMHO. It is pretty good, but I wish they would've spent $100 more and charged me $500.
There are some good threads on modifying the 1ss non-Bose. With that system you can get line level (or something close enough to be considered line level) off the head unit. That is a big advantage compared to the Bose setup, where the communication between head unit and Bose amp is over MOST.
The "competing sound" bit makes me think they did not disable the ANC system by cutting the wires to the door microphones.
The fact that you have "no A/C" makes me question the installers' skills, as others have mentioned. Really, that's a new one.
Yeah...if the system they installed isn't performing like they said it would, it is on the stereo shop before it should be blamed on the car.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
1. We need a component list to help you.
2. A/C stopped working means these guys are idiots.

my first thought is did they add a Digital line converter ? Again no component list makes it pretty hard to help.
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #13
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Went to a recommended shop audio frogs soeakers power amp high end up audio the mylink is competing w the sound of the new components the shop is dumb founded . I really missed my c7 stereo vs the 1ss anyone upgrade stereo to have it great ? I'm an audiophile home recorder and love that clear separated sound . Is it not possible ? Anything I should tell them bro try before I go back to stock ? Also my air conditioner stopped working after they did the install ! Any wires I should point to them man makes me want the 2SS 1le I truly love a great stereo

Ask them if they removed the active noise cancellation microphones.

But the real concern here is your air conditioner. As I understand this Bose system, there is no need to even be fooling with anything in the center console or dashboard to install an aftermarket system. All of the work should be in the trunk where the amps and controllers are. It's not like the old days where you removed the factory head unit and installed an aftermarket head unit. With this car you leave the head unit alone and make all the system upgrades and modifications in the trunk only.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Moy View Post
2. A/C stopped working means these guys are idiots.
I hate to rush to judgment, but I wouldn't bet any money against Moy's accusation! Hopefully they didn't round off any lug nuts as part of their custom installation!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote