Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
katrinacop

Drives: 2016 White SS Convertible
2016 Camaro 2SS Paint Issue

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to your forum and happy this forum exists. I have a 2000 C5 Corvette Convertible as well and am a longtime member of the Corvette Forum. That forum has been a life saver more than once, so again, I appreciate everyone's comments and knowledge about our awesome Gen6 cars.
I bought my brand new, never titled (6 miles on ODO) 2016 Summit White, 2SS Convertible w/ AutoTrans, MagnaRide and the MyLink option (the only 3 options I have) on New Years Eve Day 2016 at Sam Packs 5 Star Chevy in Carrolton TX. I LOVE THIS CAR!!

I'll share my buying/ dealer service experience in a separate thread. Now let me talk about my paint issue.
There is a faint yellow stain on the "lid" that covers the Convertible Top when its in the down position (Sorry I didn't take a picture and the car is at the dealer and hopefully when I see the car again it will be GONE) but it looks like a spill of something about a foot long 2" wide and smaller splatters around the main spill, I guess typically what a spill of any liquid would look like. That's the only way I can describe it other than restating its a very faint yellow stain. I didn't notice it until I got it home and started my own detail of the car on New Years Day because the Top was Up when I drove off.

Here's the thing. When I discovered it I tried to get it off with quick detailer and elbow grease but no way. Brought it in to 5Star Service and after some (how can I say this) pushing back and forth, the dealer agreed to take some responsibility (implying, somehow I might have stained it over the holiday weekend) and am trying to get them to fix it (Yeah Right)
by sending it into the "On Site" detail shop (The detail shop is a joke but that goes in a different thread) saying "we'll get our detail guys to try and get it off". After an hour my salesman came out and told me the detail shop couldn't get it off and they don't know what it is. and began acting like the stain is my problem now; So..... pissed-off, I demanded they get it off my car PERIOD. I said, If you have a body Shop send it there and FIX IT. Then my salesman tried to get me scared and just go away by saying "If we send it to the Body Shop and they have to paint it; it will show up on a CarFax report which cold affect the value of the car should I ever decide to sell it" (I'm wanting to punch someone in the nose at this point). Fast forward, I got the service assistant manager (Trish?) involved who was the same... not wanting to take responsibility, stating the sales manager would need to be involved in any decision regarding "MY" paint problem. The car was left there for and "agree upon" mechanical issue with the convertible top mechanism, they gave me a loaner (acting like they are doing me a favor giving me a Tahoe to drive while they fix my awesome SS that I've only had for a week! Grrrr picture big melon head guy with steam coming out his ears
Trish called me last night to inform me the mechanical issue with the convertible top was fixed ( I should add, her tone is pleasant and one of "your the customer (who just purchased a 54K sticker price car.. price 40,500 +T&T... Good price, not the best but I would have had to go out of state to beat it IMHO and that's just an FYI) and were here to give you great customer service; what a surprise, that's the 1st time dealing with this dealership that I felt that way (although I do like my salesmen Brice, he was helpful but a pawn for the sales manager...as anyone who has ever bought a car from the dealership knows).

Back to the PAINT LoL. Trish says... the Sales Manager, Service Manager and a small circle of others spent time examining "MY" paint problem and they believe the stain is... ready for it...
Under the clear coat! So they are sending it into the body shop and they can make GM pay for it (No wonder were all so pleasant NOW)

I really don't know where or how the stain came to be, all I care about is it being GONE. Now my new SS will be gone 7 more days at the body shop...

I'm wondering 3 thing from the forum members
1. Has anyone else ever seen this type of paint issue on our Gen6's or any GM product for that matter?
2. Do any other forum members have anything to say about Sam Pack's 5Star Chevy,? Good or Not so good, and
3. "I will put Gloss Black Stripes on the car. No stickers. Paint only". That said: Who thinks I should go down to the 5Star body shop on Monday and try to negotiate a price to have them paint the stripes since they'll have it in the paint shop for the next week and have to paint that convertible deck lid anyway.
Thanks all, Happy New Year to everyone.
katrinacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Based on your experience so far with them (all the work you had to go through just to get them to try and fix it), I sure wouldn't want them painting any stripes on it.

What happens if it doesn't come out to your satisfaction?
You'll be right back in the same boat, fighting to make it right.

Any good independent body shop could probably do a better job anyway.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
katrinacop

Makes sense... I'll wait
Old 01-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
VCSRT

Drives: Jeep
You're new here, so you probably haven't heard or seen, how bad the paint is on these cars. Glad they offered to paint it for you, the dealer I worked with wanted me to sign the contract before they would fix the problems, which were swirls under the clear as well. Sorry, no Camaro for me till at least 2018 if they and only if they fix the build quality on these things.
VCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
katrinacop

Brand new. And no, I haven't... If you have a thread link I would be interested in reading about them... otherwise I'll look for them (threads) later on.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
katrinacop

New 2016 SS Convertible Nightmare

FYSA

34 days they had my car... Driving a Chevy Traverse in lieu of a Super Sport… Ughhhh

I got my 2016 SS Convertable back from Sam packs 5 Star Chevy the night before last, OMG! I'm so glad to have it back. They gave me a real BS story about the paint which makes me wonder what the heck really went on for the last 34 days.

It went something like this when I went to pick it up: (me) Can you make sure you have a technician present when you bring it up to explain what you did to it? Yes Sir, the service manager is here, he knows firsthand and will explain everything.

(MGR) I was on the phone with GM today discussing the problems you experienced with those trap doors (the 2 plastic panels left and right that snap shut when the top is down to give that seamless look of the tonneau cover; aka-decklid). GM says they know it’s a poor design and they are fixing the issue on the 2018 model. (me) that does me a lot of good. Am I going to continue to have problems with them? (MGR) No, we replaced them, just be mindful they are delicate so avoid putting any pressure on them and you'll be OK.

(me) I smell fresh paint (top going down) (MGR) We painted the deck lid. (me) you told me you were going to replace the lid with a new one. One you were taking off a brand new summit white vert... (Here’s where it really gets deep) (MGR) We were, but when we went to take it off we discovered the paint on that one was worse than yours... seems (wait for it) that when the factory paints them (decklids); and because they close the vert tops before the paint is fully cured to ship them the paint vapors cant release as they should resulting in the yellowish staining on your car as well as the other summit white one we were going to cannibalize to fix yours... you see peter, it only happens on the white paint verts, the other colors are too dark to notice...

(I DON'T BELIEVE 1 FU#*!$G WORD THIS GUY IS SAYING).
BUT what can I do? paint looks perfect, top functions as it should... time to forget this dealership experience and enjoy this car.

To say I love it is an understatement. This car is everything I want in a car; that’s just me. Sure there’s things I would do if money were no object… (Magnuson Supercharger, Tune, More Power/Thump to the Stereo etc.) but she’s pretty damn sweet just as she sits.
I'll update if there’s any more issues, I'm hoping NOT!

I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts on the stealerships paint comments…
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
bscott07

Drives: 89/99 Silverado’s / future Ca
Curious if anyone else who has a white vert has had the same issues?
bscott07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #8
VCSRT

I have seen several Camaro's with paint issues now, mainly on black cars though, maybe they will get the paint right for 2018.... OP I wouldn't buy their story for a $1, being me I would have filed for lemon law in my area, past 30 days to repair new car, = new car.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:34 AM   #9
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
I disagree with post above I wouldnt lemon law this. Your car looks good, you got it back. I would try to get a months payment from them, possibly some parts credit for purchase, freebie floor mats whatever. Thats probably the least PITA route. Nice bike btw as well.
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Nice car! Looks really sharp & glad it's taken care of. I hope it continues to give you the satisfaction you have right now with this amazing car.

I'd just let the frustration go, it's fixed now. Life's too short to stay pissed off. But that's just me...
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If it's fixed to 100%, just get on with your life and have fun. it's not worth a obsessing about, especially a car. Who knows what the dealership was trying to do. Who cares?Find a new dealer. There's 3000 of them out there. Lots of very good ones.

The Paint on many GM products is substandard.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
katrinacop

I'm OK now.... I didn't get anything from this dealer but my car back. Not saying I wouldn't have liked to have gotten something... Like a huge discount on a front splitter, I never asked for anything and it's too late now.
I'm not pissed. Sam Packs 5 Star Chevy is a VERY VERY poorly run business, I don't know if they are going out of business or what but they cut corners EVERYWHERE. As far as the car? I'm totally happy with the car, you could never tell there was a paint issue by looking at it. I'm going to give her a proper detail and seal Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and P21S Concours Carnauba Paste Wa.
This SS Vert is solid, fun, fast and turns a lot of heads.

Thanks 2006moy... its a 2007 Fatboy with a custom paint job... it took me every bit of 8 years to get that bike the way I want her...
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #13
VCSRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Moy View Post
I disagree with post above I wouldnt lemon law this. Your car looks good, you got it back. I would try to get a months payment from them, possibly some parts credit for purchase, freebie floor mats whatever. Thats probably the least PITA route. Nice bike btw as well.
I take it you haven't ever checked the box "NO" on "Original Paint" when you go to trade a vehicle.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
op, this was a big issue with the gto. They put plastic paint protection on sections of the car before it was completely dry. It was moisture under the clear coat. A blow dryer will dry it up. I still have my stains 10 years later. The stain is below the crease in the fender.
Attached Images

Last edited by b4z; 02-14-2017 at 10:22 AM.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote