Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
Great MPG Result From V6 RS

My wife bought a 2016 V6 8spd RS Camaro back in November as her daily driver. She commutes about 60 miles each way from our house to down town Austin. I would rate the commute about 70/30 Highway/City with the highway including 10 miles of the 85 mph toll road.

The car now has 43xx miles on it and to my surprise it's averaging about 26 mpg on 87 octane gas. She's getting an easy 425-450 miles per tank.

As a comparison, her 2013 Camaro V6 RS and was getting about 22 and about 24 out of a 2014 Equinox with a 4 cylinder.

While I haven't tried it yet I bet straight highway driving at 70 mph this car would easily get 30+ mpg and go well over 500 miles on a tank.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
you haven't seen the mileage thread on the v6 forum. low to mid 40's is the name of the game for best 50 miles.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
you haven't seen the mileage thread on the v6 forum. low to mid 40's is the name of the game for best 50 miles.
The area around Austin is hilly and congested. There are traffic lights every couple of miles. It's more like suburban driving than highway.

Going 55 mph on flat ground in traffic where drafting is possible and a tailwind produces great numbers, but is not representative of what most driving is like.
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
The area around Austin is hilly and congested. There are traffic lights every couple of miles. It's more like suburban driving than highway.

Going 55 mph on flat ground in traffic where drafting is possible and a tailwind produces great numbers, but is not representative of what most driving is like.
living in alabama and driving to MS for work was a straight shot on i10 and the best gas mileage i ever achieved... in anything. flat as HELL and straight

+1
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Dayle1

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue coupe V6/auto
I've had mine since Aug, only have 2600 miles on it, all in the hill country between Austin, Marble Falls and Wimberly. My lifetime average is 27.4 mpg with a best 50 mile number of 34.7 mpg. That includes some hard acceleration and a few bursts 85+mph.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post

there is no such thing as a representative of "most driving", if that's a definition you want to use then you might as well just go by the sticker numbers and call it a day. What you in your congested hilly area thinks is normal is not the same as me in my nearly all city driving or someone else who commutes 50 miles on the highway etc.

The point is you dont need to draft or any nonsense like that. You can get over 30mpg doing 90mph with nobody in front of you on flat ground in a V6 camaro. You can get in the 40's if you're driving around 70 on cruise control. No magic needed. This is meant to be an max average. It's a lot harder to compare individual regular averages and have it mean anything to other people.

I dont go 55 unless i'm in the city (those are city speed limits here in southern California). And due to traffic, i'm always on the peddle so mileage is crap because I like going fast. My avg day to day is less than 18mpg. But that's meaningless info to anyone else because there's far too many variables than something like a max average has.

in any case. the v6 camaro gets incredible gas mileage when you want it to without resorting to tricks. Irvine to Phoenix AZ on little more than half a tank of gas.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
I've had mine since Aug, only have 2600 miles on it, all in the hill country between Austin, Marble Falls and Wimberly. My lifetime average is 27.4 mpg with a best 50 mile number of 34.7 mpg. That includes some hard acceleration and a few bursts 85+mph.
Yeh, the car usually says 27-27.5 but when we calculate it by hand it's 26 mpg. For some reason the newer GMs seem to run about 1-1.5 mpg high. Same with my 2015 Sierra. Our 04 Yukon on the other hand is usually dead nuts.

I guess I didn't realize the 2016 Camaro had a lifetime aveage.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Lucky you i get abou 18 mpg but i drive an average of 0 highway miles,it doesnt help that i work like 5 miles from work and the only other places i go are the gym and the grocery store during the week,plus the highway is being widend by 2 lanes in my town so getting to the other side of town usually requires a drive up a main street that has about 30 stoplights before getting to the downtown area to avoid congestion due to all the construction
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote