Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #43
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
No real speed difference. Handling there is a noticible difference, 1le feels like a go cart, really centered, responsive feel to the 1LE.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #44
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I had 3.91 gears put in 4 years ago and is probably my favorite mod. The difference is shocking. If I go full throttle going like 25 in 2nd gear my tires will break loose. Never did this with the stock gears. I would highly recommend this mod, you will thank me I guarantee it!
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #45
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I had 3.91 gears put in 4 years ago and is probably my favorite mod. The difference is shocking. If I go full throttle going like 25 in 2nd gear my tires will break loose. Never did this with the stock gears. I would highly recommend this mod, you will thank me I guarantee it!
I did this mod as well last summer. In the fall just as the car was going away I did a Circle D 3200 stall. Imo the stall has been my fav mod....mind you I only had a few hour seat time coming home from my tuner so I didnt get to but some track runs on it. When guys tell you how good of a mod a stall is ....you better believe it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #46
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I did this mod as well last summer. In the fall just as the car was going away I did a Circle D 3200 stall. Imo the stall has been my fav mod....mind you I only had a few hour seat time coming home from my tuner so I didnt get to but some track runs on it. When guys tell you how good of a mod a stall is ....you better believe it.
Can someone explain how the stall works to make this mod so good. I think it was Bo who spoke to it in a previous post I cannot find.

I thought that a 3200 stall meant you would have to be at 3200rpm before the transmission started to work. I don't see that being very good for a street car.
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #47
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
The acceleration would be slightly faster due to the 3.91 rear end. Other than that it has the same engine and power. The 3.91 rear end can be installed on the SS, and both models are limited at 155mph.
EDIT: Yes, it would ride harsher.
what limits it to 155?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #48
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Can someone explain how the stall works to make this mod so good. I think it was Bo who spoke to it in a previous post I cannot find.

I thought that a 3200 stall meant you would have to be at 3200rpm before the transmission started to work. I don't see that being very good for a street car.
All torque converters will start to push the car, even at idle.
Most factory converters will lock up at usually 1800 - 2000 RPMs which makes the car easier to drive, saves fuel, and works well with the factory cam and tune.

With your 3200 stall when you hammer it the motor can spin up to 3200 RPMs and stay there until the wheels are moving fast enough to reach those RPMs, then it locks up. It doesn't just kick into gear at 3200 RPMs.
With high-performance after-market cams that keeps the engine in it's power range.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #49
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker1958 View Post
what limits it to 155?
I've had mine to 156mph, GPS verified... and the only reason I didn't keep going was the road was running out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #50
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:

Had the same concerns myself and the guys that had stalls said to not concerned. If you jumped into my car and didnt know about the stall you likely couldnt tell. The cars revs quicker to 3200 or whatever stall you have and stays there. The car moves forward as soon as you put it in gear. The trans in todays cars really make it a great mod.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #51
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker1958 View Post
what limits it to 155?
Stock tune
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #52
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Quote:
Had the same concerns myself and the guys that had stalls said to not concerned. If you jumped into my car and didnt know about the stall you likely couldnt tell. The cars revs quicker to 3200 or whatever stall you have and stays there. The car moves forward as soon as you put it in gear. The trans in todays cars really make it a great mod.
Thanks Ron. Any chance you can road trip over to Nova Scotia this summer so I can feel the difference in person. Gas is cheap right?
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #53
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks Ron. Any chance you can road trip over to Nova Scotia this summer so I can feel the difference in person. Gas is cheap right?
Funny thing is my wife and I have never been. Talked about going but we will see. Its tough to explain.....no need to worry about the car reving up before the car moves.....put it in geat and take your foot off the brake and the car moves along right away. Ill bet you that you could do a 3200 or 3400 stall and your wife wont even know anything changed. But punch it and its races up the rpm tach alot quicker then stock. And holds it there. If did it all over again a stall would have been my first mod.And thats coming from a guy that was very unsure about doing it......had the same thoughts and concerns you do. But after talking to guys that have done it i moved forward with it. Dont listen to people that dont havent done this mod. If you do make your way to ontario at all im about an hour notth of Toronto......but will gladly drive down to meet you and let you go for a spin.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #54
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Funny thing is my wife and I have never been. Talked about going but we will see. Its tough to explain.....no need to worry about the car reving up before the car moves.....put it in geat and take your foot off the brake and the car moves along right away. Ill bet you that you could do a 3200 or 3400 stall and your wife wont even know anything changed. But punch it and its races up the rpm tach alot quicker then stock. And holds it there. If did it all over again a stall would have been my first mod.And thats coming from a guy that was very unsure about doing it......had the same thoughts and concerns you do. But after talking to guys that have done it i moved forward with it. Dont listen to people that dont havent done this mod. If you do make your way to ontario at all im about an hour notth of Toronto......but will gladly drive down to meet you and let you go for a spin.
Asking to learn, but do these new stall converters lock like new style converters vs the old style (turbo 400) that I am used to dealing with?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #55
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Asking to learn, but do these new stall converters lock like new style converters vs the old style (turbo 400) that I am used to dealing with?
Yes they do....ive only driven mine home from y tuners in stop and go traffic.....then around town. Im not sure what speed it locks but you dont feel it. Im not sure if all lock but i know mine does.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #56
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Yes they do....ive only driven mine home from y tuners in stop and go traffic.....then around town. Im not sure what speed it locks but you dont feel it. Im not sure if all lock but i know mine does.
That's cool. There was an issue back in the day because as I remember the converters produced a lot of heat when operated in the stall range. It made street driving with a big stall a problem (well one of many).
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote