Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #127
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
I see all kinds of comments pointing to cost as a justification point. If people could exercise patience, they could get the car they really want, and if cost were no factor would anyone buy a V6, or worse yet a 4cyl, when a V8 is available?

We have a rule at our house that whatever car you buy you have to keep it a minimum of 5 years. Historically that has shown to be the sweet spot for trade in value. We also usually don't buy new cars, but prefer to save $10K and hit up Carmax and get a 1 year old model that's low mileage. I got a killer deal on my 2SS so bought it brand new but intended to get a used one. I traded in a 6 year old 370Z that I paid off 3 years prior, put down $10K that I'd saved up by making those previous 370Z payments to my savings account, and my 2SS payment is chump change for 4 years. I'll pay it off in 2 years or less and go back to making car payments to my savings account for the next car I buy in 5 years. Been doing it like that for 20 years and I've never had a car payment over $300/mo. I always finance for 48 months and make extra payments all over the place to pay them off in 24 months or less.

I have a lot of friends that for whatever reason just can't stand to wait for something and pay out the wazoo and regret their $800/mo car payments 6 months later, so I get it, but I'd wait before I'd settle for something less than I really wanted. If you just really wanted a V6 then none of this applies to you but from a gear head like myself that does not compute.

Oh, and I use 75 - 80% of the V8 horse power every time I drive my Camaro. Had it drifting around an exit ramp this morning on the way to work, so yeah taking it to the track isn't the reason to have a V8

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #128
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I see all kinds of comments pointing to cost as a justification point. If people could exercise patience, they could get the car they really want, and if cost were no factor would anyone buy a V6, or worse yet a 4cyl, when a V8 is available?
I think you would find the answer is yes.

This V8 chest-banging really needs to stop.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #129
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you read ALL the posts on this strange thread, it's easy to see who's a chest beater and looking thru their eyes only. Great for forum flotsam.....

Lots of owners bought here , either 4's 6's or 8, for many other reasons than their budget.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #130
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
I agree. I have more than enough to buy the V8 but its overkill for my needs. Honestly the V6 has more power than I will ever need. The 4 banger wasnt an option as I just sold a 428i. Pushing that kind of HP from a 2.0L is asking for issues. I wanted something within reason price wise and a fun car to drive. I think the V6 meets my needs more so than the other two options. That said, I will never be at the track or red light racing. I will enjoy the option to pass cars as needed while getting my 28mpg. Plus, I love a good deal
Old 12-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #131
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopski View Post
I agree. I have more than enough to buy the V8 but its overkill for my needs. Honestly the V6 has more power than I will ever need. The 4 banger wasnt an option as I just sold a 428i. Pushing that kind of HP from a 2.0L is asking for issues. I wanted something within reason price wise and a fun car to drive. I think the V6 meets my needs more so than the other two options. That said, I will never be at the track or red light racing. I will enjoy the option to pass cars as needed while getting my 28mpg. Plus, I love a good deal
Interesting your comments about the BMW, I totally agree after driving BMWs for about the past 7 years in 4 cyl configuration. Didn't want any part of another 4 cyl no matter what HP, and just don't need 455 hp , plus I think the RS looks tremendously better without all the SS vents, wings and such.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #132
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think you would find the answer is yes.

This V8 chest-banging really needs to stop.
There is no way anyone would buy a V6 if the V8 was the same price. These are marketed as performance cars.

I'm off to use that 455tq on the way home from work

Old 12-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #133
COmaro

Drives: Many
Obviously the V6 is less expensive to buy but it is also a lot less expensive to drive. Better gas mileage and the gas is regular rather than premium, which is now 40 cents a gallon higher where I live. Fewer quarts of oil per oil change, easier on the brakes, clutch, etc. Lots of financial reasons to go with a V6. If you drive 20-30,000 miles a year like I do, there is a huge difference in the hit on your bank account.

I've had more V8s than I can count, but I've also had turbo 4s and N/A sixes. I hate turbos, because I like to wring 200K out of my cars and the best I've done with a turbo 4 is 160K. V8s are great, but the running costs are higher. A 335 horsepower V6 is more horsepower than a lot of the V8s I've had and high 20's for MPG is *way* better than any V8 I've had.

If I can find a V6 1LE for under $30K I'll buy new, otherwise within a year or two I'll find a good used one.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #134
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2016rscamaro View Post
Well I can tell you from experience I bought the v6 and loved it but deep down I wanted the v8. So long story short I ended up trading the v6 for a v8 and took a $6500 hit. Was it worth it ? Hell yes lol

What was the difference in ins. cost?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #135
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
Quote:
I see all kinds of comments pointing to cost as a justification point.
I actually look at this from the other direction. I feel one should need justification to spend more, not less. And I'm way toward the gear-head end of the spectrum.

Quote:
If people could exercise patience, they could get the car they really want, and if cost were no factor would anyone buy a V6, or worse yet a 4cyl, when a V8 is available?
If I'm understanding correctly, this is suggesting that taking the time to save up would make the car affordable. I'm not completely on board with this. Money saved up over time could serve in far more important capacities than obtaining the latest and greatest, especially if that money is amassed earlier in life.
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #136
Marty McFlew
Banned

Unfortunately we live in an era now where fun is a compromise, gas prices are high and cars are designed in wind tunnels. If those were no factors all the car enthusiasts would be opting for the V8, cars would be more in your face styling like they did up until gov't. gas mileage mandates forcing manufactures to style their cars in wind tunnels for the best efficiency. That being said given the constraints the V6 has come a long way and the designers of the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and Charger have done a great job of styling given what they had to work with. Most cars today just have an ugly slab of sheet metal for the sides and overly styled front grills with a lot of LED lighting bling.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #137
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Interesting your comments about the BMW, I totally agree after driving BMWs for about the past 7 years in 4 cyl configuration. Didn't want any part of another 4 cyl no matter what HP, and just don't need 455 hp , plus I think the RS looks tremendously better without all the SS vents, wings and such.

When I saw 428...I automatically assumed he was talking a a 69 428 Ford Cobra Jet Mustang or something, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #138
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
When I saw 428...I automatically assumed he was talking a a 69 428 Ford Cobra Jet Mustang or something, thanks for clearing that up.
428i = The German word for big car with little engine. Probably faster than that old tank but no where near as cool
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #139
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
Obviously the V6 is less expensive to buy but it is also a lot less expensive to drive. Better gas mileage and the gas is regular rather than premium, which is now 40 cents a gallon higher where I live. Fewer quarts of oil per oil change, easier on the brakes, clutch, etc. Lots of financial reasons to go with a V6. If you drive 20-30,000 miles a year like I do, there is a huge difference in the hit on your bank account.
Good points for someone who drives 20K - 30K miles a year, but wholly smokes man, that's a TON of miles. I'd not own a car like this to wear it out in 3-4 years. I'd be driving a Civic off Craigslist and have the Camaro as a joy ride car.

My 2SS averages about 21-23MPG and I don't drive like a granny, ever. On the highway I got close to 30MPG. None of which matter to me as gas is fun tax as far as I'm concerned. Heck, my 600RWHP Challenger gets 18 around town and 23-24 on the highway. It's about 40 cents difference for 93 over 87 around here as well, which is roughly $7 a tank? All my cars take premium so I quit paying attention several years ago.

I had a 370Z before this Camaro, and it was a 335HP/270TQ V6, so it's not like I'm just against V6s in general. My wife's Genesis Coupe Track Edition is also a 330HP V6. The 370Z drove great, and weighed 3500 or so pounds with me in it and was very snappy. However the 455/455 Camaro is night and day different where power is concerned and only weighs a bit more and with the magnetic ride suspension the Camaro feels to me like it handles better. The biggest difference I notice is how the car crushed you in to the seat. The 370Z would do pretty good up to about 100MPH, then went soft. The Camaro just keeps on crushing you well past triple digits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by central limit View Post
I actually look at this from the other direction. I feel one should need justification to spend more, not less. And I'm way toward the gear-head end of the spectrum.

If I'm understanding correctly, this is suggesting that taking the time to save up would make the car affordable. I'm not completely on board with this. Money saved up over time could serve in far more important capacities than obtaining the latest and greatest, especially if that money is amassed earlier in life.
No one needs a car like this, so any long term financial plans that have anything to do with a car like this, or any new car in general, is a fool's errand. Depreciating asset and all. If financial planning is the goal, then a $500 craigslist car is the answer and drive it till it dies and get another.

My 2SS Camaro insurance is $80 every 6 mos more than my 6 year old 370Z for the poster that asked. I have a clean driving record. Pocket change in the grand scheme of things.

These threads are always fun to me because they are 100% opinion. There is no wrong answer if we're all completely honest. I used to be concerned with gas mileage and cost of ownership, etc. I had a 10 year old Honda Accord as a daily driver just for that reason. I got 33MPG and changed the oil every 12,000 miles. I had it for 4 or 5 years I guess and I was miserable driving to work every day. Sold it on craigslist in 30 minutes (shoulda asked more) and bought the 370Z and never looked back. I've always had a fun weekend car, but enough was enough of hating life on my daily commute.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #140
Juliannnt

Drives: Mosaic Black on Black. 2017 M6 2SS.
Say what you will, but there's nothing like a V8... I didn't believe this until I bought a V8..
Juliannnt is offline   Reply With Quote