Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #15
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
HP rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCamaro7 View Post
I'm confused. What's the difference between the two. Sorry I'm new to this type of stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factory HP ratings are taken from the back of the engine crankshaft, on an engine test bench in the factory lab before the engine is installed in a car.

the ratings printed above (chart with lines on it) are taken by a
Dynamometar, (an instrument that measures the power output of an engine at the driving wheel) (the wheels that turn and move the car when you step on the accelerator pedal)
The difference between the two horse power (HP) ratings (engine crankshaft reading and wheel reading) is due to the loss of power necessary to run all the items attached to the back of the crankshaft on the engine. ie; it takes power to turn the transmission, driveshaft, differential, brake pads touching the disks, wheels and tires.
A lot of power is lost turning all these items with a considerable drop of H/P at the driving wheel.
history note; all H/P in cars were measured at back of crankshaft prior to 1973, after 1973 all measurement's were taken at driving wheels, reason? car manufactures wanted to show car insurance companies that the cars had less H/P and therefor would be a less of a safety risk and this would lower their insurance costs. tricky Happy now?
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Perfect.

With an assumed 15% drivetrain loss, around 280ish is exactly what I'd expect to see on these cars with a manual transmission.

What gear did you run the car in during your dyno runs?

Its too bad that basic bolt ons and tune are not going to be easy to come by for this new V6. It was slow going for the 5th gen. I fear it may end up being even worse for the 6th gen now that the turbo 4 is an option.

But based on those numbers, an intake and tune alone should get you at or just past the 300rwhp mark. That would be pretty awesome to see.

If the 6th gen V6 gets other options such as high flow cats, ported intake, ported T/B, and such, I can see pushing 320ish rwhp combined with a tune and intake.
Nice numbers OP!

and as for bolt ons, the same thing happened with the new mustangs, sadly. But seeing as chevy offers the 1LE v6 I'm sure bolt ons will come. There is also always the possibility that some of the 5th gen parts are compatible. I know this is technically a new engine, but it is possible that things like high flow cats may still bolt right up.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #17
cryssm

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Im curious as well. Think I've seen before that the numbers are lower when not at 1:1 ratio. But, I'm not sure which way the results way be impacted.

But we also have a slight problem. A 1:1 ratio puts the wheel speed beyond 155 mph where the V6 is governed. So we'd be missing out on the last 500 RPM or so. Likely the reason 4th gear was used.
Ah, yes, makes sense. I remember Phastek saying they had an issue of topping out on MPH when they did their dyno run.

Oh well. Awesome numbers, nonetheless!

Tags
#v6 #dyno