#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #15
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
Interesting read. My last car had Brembos and didnt make a peep. Guess I need to stomp on it a few times.
Yeah.....I've had Brembo's on 6 cars now and never a problem on the facory installs... Whenever I've had any hint of noise, I do a re-bedding and things are fine..
Old 03-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #16
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Like others have said, performance brakes typically squeal like this at low speeds. You can clean them, do some bedding, etc. and it may help for a bit but eventually they will just squeal again. Take the good with the bad.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
NITRA10

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
YEP!
NITRA10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
Ya it happens after the car is already warmed up and being driven around. Those last few feet that Im braking, slowly pulling up to a light is when I hear it.
It seems to help if on a semi-regular basis that you brake a lot harder than necessary (with due regard for following traffic). Do NOT get the ABS interested.

This also helps keep you "current" with what hard braking is really like, so it won't be all that unusual of an event when you have to do it for real. This is a good thing.

Norm
Old 10-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
WessenS

Drives: Hyper Blue Metallic 2LT 2017 Camaro
My 2000 mile camaro started making noises when reverse parking and making slow left turns! It did this for a week.
I had a friend sit on the passenger side and it got worse. He got out took a look and we had me take a slow left turn and it didn't squeak. So he sat back in took a slow left turn again and there the squeaking noise was again. We initially determined it was cause he weighed a lot and joked around he needed to lose weight!

When we looked at the right front wheel, there was a HUGE chunk of the upper material sticking out just about touching the wheel when making left turns. Checked the left wheel and it was smooth and clean looking. We realized the right side simply needed to be pushed back in with our hands with minimal force like it was soft due to heat. Material was really soft! Opened the hood and it looked normal again. Realized a bunch of materials were just really soft. --_--

Not sure what caused it to pop outward toward my wheel though. Lost the pic I took.
WessenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #20
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
My last car with Brembo's also squeaked & created a lot of dust with the "as supplied" pads. I changed them to a Hawk Carbonic compound & that solved both. So it's highly recommended in my book to change them out. The pedal feel changed a bit, but no perceptible change in performance. Once you stomped on 'em, they were great brakes.

I'm looking around for various ceramic pads to do the same with my 2SS. Been looking at the PowerStop Z23 & Z26 replacements, but want to do more research on the differences, & likely will also still look at a few others before deciding.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #21
Oathkeeper

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Just an update, brought my 2ss to the dealer to have them check this out and even took them out for a test drive to show the issue. They heard loud and clear. Unfortunately they said that this is just how it is, and the only way they could fix it is with a custom brake "job". Basically messing with the brakes and doing a few things for about $400. I'll pass on that for now. Told GM this, and they basically were like "we don't know about this problem, we're not mechanics, take it to the dealer, etc etc.". The brakes aren't a deal breaker, but definitely a little disappointing that I'll have this squeak ongoingly.

What I don't get is why some people have this issue and others don't. Seems like if this is the way it is the SS's, everyone should have this issue. But apparently that isn't the case.

Thinking about taking to my old mechanic who used to work on my old car, just to have him take a look and give me the real deal on this. Would be interested to hear if anyone has made any progress.
Oathkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #22
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
I got the same squeal on my front right brake. Its annoying but livable. Let us know how it works out with your mechanic.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
shrubby

Drives: 16' Black³ / 18' ZL1 1LE
There can be many reasons for the noise. When I had an issue, taking the pads out and putting some brake grease on the shims got rid of it for me. Mine got real loud, it was embarrassing to pull up to the drive thru to get coffee.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #24
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
This isn't specific to our cars. It just comes with performance brakes. Some have noise some don't.

Have your mechanic take them apart, clean and lube everything up. See if that helps.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote