Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #43
Cgc15

Drives: 2017 1lt 2.0t white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Had fitment issues with the first tube, working on parts to build a second one now... Should be able to test it out sometime next week.
Alright cool
Cgc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #44
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Now this might be an oddball question, but would this ship with a JacFab logo/decal? (or two!) I only ask because I like to support independent shops and I'd rather have a sticker for your product on my car than a dealership sticker hahahahaha....
Anyways, good luck! I hope to order one soon!
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #45
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Commencing Operation Big Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
Now this might be an oddball question, but would this ship with a JacFab logo/decal? (or two!) I only ask because I like to support independent shops and I'd rather have a sticker for your product on my car than a dealership sticker hahahahaha....

Anyways, good luck! I hope to order one soon!
I could probably have some more stickers made up. Been a long time since I had any.

Here's a neat video for your CNC junkies

Just a quick cellphone video showing how I make the t/map sensor mount. I start with a waterjet cut rough blank, then finish it on the mill in 2 operations.

I decided to throw some of the tube parts into the tumbler just for kicks.

That said, I do have a completed tube on my car currently, but am waiting for couplers and good hose clamps to come in the mail. I tried buying a cheap single ply spectre coupler in town, but it didn't last long...

Also, I have been talking with Martin at RPM-Motorsports, he seems pretty sure their upgraded charge pipes will work with the big throttle body with the correct coupler.

http://www.rpm-motorsports.com/store...g-charge-pipes

I'm trying to get a set from him to confirm fitment, this may be the way to go, and I may try to get some kind of package deal going to include my TB stuff with their charge pipes... Currently waiting response from him...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #46
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Sweet video! That just made my day That machine really puts the cutting fluid down and knocks off tool changes quick too! Frig I miss that!
The tumbled pieces look neat, gives them a 'cast' look... Something different anyways

Hope to hear favorable things about the big mouth and charge piping combo; that would be killer!
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #47
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
Nice stuff!

The thing I don't like about those charge pipes from RPM is you can already see, the pipe feeding the TB is already smaller then the stock TB.
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #48
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Sweet video! That just made my day That machine really puts the cutting fluid down and knocks off tool changes quick too! Frig I miss that!
The tumbled pieces look neat, gives them a 'cast' look... Something different anyways

Hope to hear favorable things about the big mouth and charge piping combo; that would be killer!

It's pretty quick, 1400in/min Rapids... Of course it takes a lot of slow test runs to just let er rip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiu View Post
Nice stuff!

The thing I don't like about those charge pipes from RPM is you can already see, the pipe feeding the TB is already smaller then the stock TB.

Well I know his charge pipes are 2.5" diameter. I can't remember the inner diameter on the stock tube off the top of of my head, I'll have to double check it. I do believe their pipes are bigger, but not sure exactly how much.

*EDIT* the inner diameter of the stock plastic Tb tube is 2.25" at the bottom. It does neck up at the top to snap over the throttle body.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 11-07-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #49
rickwelch69

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Turbo 4
just traded my 14 v6 6spd for a 16 turbo 6spd, am watching this build cause I kept my stock throttle body from the v6. I would love to be able to use it for the new car! glad I kept it now. I am also 8 miles from Marty at RPM and may try and get him to do some development work with me!
Keep up the good work Jason

Quote:
Working on developing a series of intake parts for the 2.0t cars. Some have been done by others already, some haven't. I can't see myself paying over $300 for just an intake tube.

My first plan of attack is to adapt a bigger throttle body to the 2.0 intake. The 2.0 has an itty bitty 59mm throttle body. But the intake manifold has a 67mm opening.

The most logical thing to do was to adapt a 72mm v6 throttle body. Which I did today and conducted a flow test. I have not attempted to run it on the car yet because I need to source necessary couplers.

Here's a shot of the stock 2.0 throttle body next to a stock unmodified v6 tb

Because the inlet hole on the intake manifold is already almost 10mm bigger, this leads me to believe the throttle body may be a restriction. Thus far, I believe I am correct. I CNC machined a throttle body adapter with a tapered inlet. The front matches the 72mm throttle body, while the rear tapers down to 67mm to match the opening on the intake manifold.

Throttle body adapter, with oring groove for throttle body seal.

Adapter mounted to intake manifold.

I did the flow testing in house on my Super Flow flow bench. For the sake of trying to test bottle necking as much as possible I also did the flow test through the tube that attaches to the throttle body that comes back from the intercooler. Basically I tried bottle necking it down again before the TB because that tube is pretty small also. I plan on attempting to rebuild that tube in a larger size to flow more air also. Shown below is that tube taped to the larger throttle body, adapted to the stock intake manifold. I expect even better results adapting that tube with a proper silicone coupler, as it was just tapped it appeared slightly off center and it obviously wasn't optimal, but it was a good first test.

So tested stock tb through the tube, vs the bigger TB through the stock intake and stock intake tube... Just by changing the throttle body I saw a 6.5% air flow increase through all that, which is HUGE, for just changing a throttle body on something like this.

That's said, I am excited to actually try this on the car and hopeful that it will work. The silicone coupler I need is on order and I should hopefully be able to try this in the car next week if I'm lucky.

The other parts that will be rehashed in the aptly dubbed "Big Mouth" series of parts a make will be the tube that connects directly to the TB seen in the previous picture, and the tube that runs from the airbox to the turbo. It looks like a big restriction.

I'm sure you'll all start screaming "why don't you build a cold air intake?!"... Well at this point, I'm not sure that the 2.0 actually needs one. So far in my data logging completely stock, at speed, I'm seeing 2-4 degrees above ambient temps as read at the IAT sensor. I think getting rid of restrictions such as the things that I am working on, and perhaps a high flow drop in filter may just make a world of difference.

Btw, here is the intake tube from the air box to the turbo disassembled

The white thing seems to be a noise suppressor. Seems like some of the ATS guys have been pulling it out. I've read it gives a little more intake and turbo noise. People claim the car runs harder, but I don't see how, it would create a huge amount of turbulence in the intake tube if it was removed. I have debated building a solid insert to replace the white one, but I think the gains would be minimal at best. Might be good for California guys looking to fly under the radar.

Everything I do here will be Dyno tested adding one piece at a time. I'm hoping I can maintain the stock tune while doing all of this and hopefully show some nice gains. Eventually when I have to, I will start messing with tuning. But I'm hoping I can maintain the stock tune at least until I crack open the turbo.

Stay tuned!
rickwelch69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #50
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwelch69 View Post
just traded my 14 v6 6spd for a 16 turbo 6spd, am watching this build cause I kept my stock throttle body from the v6. I would love to be able to use it for the new car! glad I kept it now. I am also 8 miles from Marty at RPM and may try and get him to do some development work with me!
Keep up the good work Jason
Your stock throttle body will work with the adapter. Congrats on your new car! How do you like it compared to your old v6 car?

That's good that you are so close to RPM. My understanding was that they got someone to drive from California to do what work they have done so far. It's been a week since I last heard from them, so I'm not holding my breath.

As far as an update on the project for everyone else, I am going to start a run of the adapter pieces this week and get them to the anodizer. As far as tubes, I'm going to send one out shortly to oemtech to see how it fits on the caddy, and will start working on a run of tubes also.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #51
Corner carver

Old 11-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #52
rickwelch69

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Turbo 4
Still getting used to driving a turbo, it is different. I do love cruising around in 3rd gear around 3500 rpm cause the pickup is awesome but there are a lot of factory limitations on this car, need to upgrade the exhaust to remove the restrictions there, and of course the end you are working on is one also and I was pretty bummed the first time went light to light with a lfx cause thats where i first realized that the car just about dies after 5000 rpm, but I like problems!

Quote:
Your stock throttle body will work with the adapter. Congrats on your new car! How do you like it compared to your old v6 car?

That's good that you are so close to RPM. My understanding was that they got someone to drive from California to do what work they have done so far. It's been a week since I last heard from them, so I'm not holding my breath.

As far as an update on the project for everyone else, I am going to start a run of the adapter pieces this week and get them to the anodizer. As far as tubes, I'm going to send one out shortly to oemtech to see how it fits on the caddy, and will start working on a run of tubes also.
rickwelch69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #53
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwelch69 View Post
Still getting used to driving a turbo, it is different. I do love cruising around in 3rd gear around 3500 rpm cause the pickup is awesome but there are a lot of factory limitations on this car, need to upgrade the exhaust to remove the restrictions there, and of course the end you are working on is one also and I was pretty bummed the first time went light to light with a lfx cause thats where i first realized that the car just about dies after 5000 rpm, but I like problems!
I don't do any street racing, but I can say stock for stock, my old 14 1LT LFX a6 car ran a 14.530 @ 97.29 mph at the drag strip, where my new 16 1LT RS 2.0t a8 car ran a 14.022 @ 96.35... With only minor weight reduction I ran a 13.462 @ 100.65 on the stock engine/tune with the 2.0. Quick enough to be #2 on the stock LFX list, and #5 on the bolt on LFX fast list.

I do not regret going with the 4 banger over the v6 myself. Good things are coming own the pipes.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #54
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
I don't do any street racing, but I can say stock for stock, my old 14 1LT LFX a6 car ran a 14.530 @ 97.29 mph at the drag strip, where my new 16 1LT RS 2.0t a8 car ran a 14.022 @ 96.35... With only minor weight reduction I ran a 13.462 @ 100.65 on the stock engine/tune with the 2.0. Quick enough to be #2 on the stock LFX list, and #5 on the bolt on LFX fast list.

I do not regret going with the 4 banger over the v6 myself. Good things are coming own the pipes.
I'd love to hear the details of your 13.46 pass and what it took to get there!
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #55
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470840
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #56
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
There's a detailed thread in the drag racing and launching section about Jason's run