#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #113
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
No, that is not question, but the answer. With all the extra BS to slow the Camaros down, they eventually did and couldn't win or were hardly competitive. If you own a race team, and want to make money, by winning and showing off your team and drivers, how can you do that when you are restricted down to hardly being competitive. Who wants to race for third place? Stevenson jumped to a different class all together to get away from that BS. I don't think GM was going to be backing any teams with the Camaro because of 'racing for third' is not something you want to brag about to your customers. It took about a year to get the cars dialed in, but once they did, they dominated and everyone else complained that something had to be done.

So the Camaros were essentially punished for developing/engineering a better race car than it's competitors. I think the customers already knew this. This was about the same time you started seeing the "Camaro" in the Xfinity series. I think GM just wanted to go play in a different sandbox.
Reread the post. The question was "Why the Z/28.R is not elgible for 2016?"
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #114
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The million dollar question is what's under the hood of this thing?
If the Camaro team has any luck, it is a 5L+ high revving motor, thats what i hope, time will tell.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #115
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
If the Camaro team has any luck, it is a 5L+ high revving motor, thats what i hope, time will tell.
Is there any reason to go to a 5.0 liter engine? I don't see how a 5.0 push rod V8 can make enough power to beat out the Voodoo. With the displacement capacity of the LTx small block, I would rather get a 6.2 or 7.0 liter that doesn't have to spin 8200 rpm to make the power.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #116
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Is there any reason to go to a 5.0 liter engine? I don't see how a 5.0 push rod V8 can make enough power to beat out the Voodoo. With the displacement capacity of the LTx small block, I would rather get a 6.2 or 7.0 liter that doesn't have to spin 8200 rpm to make the power.
its always more displacement, but that works to a point, and then you run out of room on the track, so then you want that motor to RPM only 1000 more revs that way you dont need to shift in to 5th gear as you going down the last 300feet of the back straight, so i know looking at the A10 videos they have a lot of that working, but us M6 guys need some more RPM's or a DCT trans.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #117
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
in the simplest terms, what moves more air?

5.2L @ 8200 rpm or 7.0L @ 7000 rpm
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #118
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
its always more displacement, but that works to a point, and then you run out of room on the track, so then you want that motor to RPM only 1000 more revs that way you dont need to shift in to 5th gear as you going down the last 300feet of the back straight, so i know looking at the A10 videos they have a lot of that working, but us M6 guys need some more RPM's or a DCT trans.
You are assuming that a high revving engine would be geared the same as one with a normal rev range. Generally speaking, that isn't the case. Typically, OEMS pair a car with a high revving engine with a more aggressive gearing so that the engine has to turn faster for a given vehicle speed.

For example, the GT350 actually has to shift sooner than the last gen Z/28 did, despite the GT350 having an extra 1250 rpm to play with (plus taller tires & a taller axle ratio too). The Z/28 has much taller transmission gearing though, so all in all it works out that you can go approximately 5% faster in each individual gear in the Z/28 than is possible in the GT350.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #119
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post

Depends on the VE.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post

5.2L x 8200 rpm /2 = 21320 L/min
7.0L x 7000 rpm /2 = 24500 L/min

So, the 7L engine moves about 14% air per minute.

(have to divide by 2 because each cylinder only draws in air every other rotation in a 4 stroke engine)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #121
Bhobbs

Quote:
I understand the benefit of higher revs but I think gearing and revs are important, not just revs.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #122
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Quote:
I think the questions come down to what does Chevy and the Z/28 fans want this next car to do.

Be the strongest fastest NA Camaro with the best collection of GM parts that Chevy can put together to sell to high end collectors? or
Be the best GT4 homologation formula that Chevy can make to compete successfully in IMSA, PWC, FIA GT4 racing that can be affordable for amateur track enthusiasts?

The last Z/28 was the first kind of car and could only race in IMSA GS for 1 year with extensive limitations and allowed exceptions (eg. CC brakes).

What do you want the next Z/28 to be? Best collection of HP GM parts car or best GT4 qualified race car?
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #123
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
I think the questions come down to what does Chevy and the Z/28 fans want this next car to do.

What do you want the next Z/28 to be? Best collection of HP GM parts car or best GT4 qualified race car?
I want it to be a best of both worlds. I definitely want it to be competitive for more than 1 year as a GT4 but still want to be able to dust the GT350 and the 350 R and STILL be competitively priced.

IMO, another $75K Z/28 will not sell any better than the Gen 5, regardless of the sum of its parts.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #124
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post

Be the strongest fastest NA Camaro with the best collection of GM parts that Chevy can put together to sell to high end collectors? or
Be the best GT4 homologation formula that Chevy can make to compete successfully in IMSA, PWC, FIA GT4 racing that can be affordable for amateur track enthusiasts?

The last Z/28 was the first kind of car and could only race in IMSA GS for 1 year with extensive limitations and allowed exceptions (eg. CC brakes).

I want it to continue where the 5th gen Z/28 left off. The ZL1 made a big leap forward in performance, and I expect the same for the Z/28.

If they can do it for cheaper, I support that.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #125
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
I want it to continue where the 5th gen Z/28 left off. The ZL1 made a big leap forward in performance, and I expect the same for the Z/28.

If they can do it for cheaper, I support that.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #126
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
OK I am new to the whole new design thing and differences between each model, but do the pics on the first page look like a ZL1 to you?

Please educate me on the differences you see that make you think its a Z/28. I am trying to learn and get up to speed
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote