Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
There's never really a real excuse to take your car through an automatic carwash. Those are for people who are impatient and only want the most obvious junk cleaned off without really caring if their car is damaged over time.

As for the winter, the key to avoiding a lot of issues is to put on a good coat of wax before freezing temps set in. Beyond that: If you have your own garage, you're good -- use the 2 bucket method or just a garden hose assuming you have a place to drain the water. If you take it to a self service wash station, bring some drying cloths and pull over in an empty lot to wipe it down as soon as possible while leaving the engine running with the heat on.

The worst thing you can do during winter is not wash your car at all. Salt sitting on the car over a prolonged period of time will corrode it. You should be spraying underneath the car too in the less obvious spots -- something a carwash can't really do.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #16
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Car wash ? This car has seen a "formal" bucket and water wash twice..when I was on the road ....beyond that she gets love every night where I put her to bed. ( and the wife too.. ) I generally follow Glen's guidelines and product reccomendations and this black beauty is always ready !! It is a lot of work...it's a labor of love for me for those of us with "rolling mirrors" (black cars) cannot afford to wait until the weekend, we knew that going into it
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
Car wash ? This car has seen a "formal" bucket and water wash twice..when I was on the road ....beyond that she gets love every night where I put her to bed. ( and the wife too.. ) I generally follow Glen's guidelines and product reccomendations and this black beauty is always ready !! It is a lot of work...it's a labor of love for me for those of us with "rolling mirrors" (black cars) cannot afford to wait until the weekend, we knew that going into it
Barry, it's time to coat that Black beauty....lotsa good reviews on the pinnacle stuff, after you use the UC polish like you did on your vette......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
There's never really a real excuse to take your car through an automatic carwash. Those are for people who are impatient and only want the most obvious junk cleaned off without really caring if their car is damaged over time.

As for the winter, the key to avoiding a lot of issues is to put on a good coat of wax before freezing temps set in. Beyond that: If you have your own garage, you're good -- use the 2 bucket method or just a garden hose assuming you have a place to drain the water. If you take it to a self service wash station, bring some drying cloths and pull over in an empty lot to wipe it down as soon as possible while leaving the engine running with the heat on.

The worst thing you can do during winter is not wash your car at all. Salt sitting on the car over a prolonged period of time will corrode it. You should be spraying underneath the car too in the less obvious spots -- something a carwash can't really do.
Garden hose? Those don't work in the winter.

Touchless car washes typically have under body sprayers that work pretty decent. That's where I'll be taking my car. I might try a rinseless wash here and there right afterwards, but it's difficult to do when the outside temp. drops below zero.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:08 AM   #19
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
I've been using certain automatic car washes for years. The truly "touch-less ones are just fine. I've never had an issue.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #20
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Yeah it's going to suck taking the Camaro through a car wash in the winter when it will be too cold to hand wash it. :(
Ya'll need to come to Calif.. We wash our cars year round in the sun...

... that is when we have water
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #21
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epx998 View Post
Ya'll need to come to Calif.. We wash our cars year round in the sun...

... that is when we have water
That would be a nice change of pace. Its a solid 5 months here where it's impossible.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Been looking for something new .....will pick some up and give it a try !! Thanks Glen !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Barry, it's time to coat that Black beauty....lotsa good reviews on the pinnacle stuff, after you use the UC polish like you did on your vette......
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote