Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #43
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
So lets say I would get the catback exhaust for now and maybe in a year or so I would want to do the long tube headers with or without cats, I assume the headers and/or cats would clamp right up correct?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #44
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badrwd View Post
So now I have a question. Got in the car and drove about 20 miles today and I have no CE light again. Made a few stops then drove 20 miles back and still nothing. Is it normal for the CE light to come on and go off with an exhaust system install or might I be looking at something else wrong possibly? I was under the impression it would stay on until you got it tuned
On both of my fifth gen LS3s I ran LTs with cats, but no tune. And like you they would come on and go off sometimes. What I did was keep a code reader in the car to make sure the codes were the ones I was expecting and then turned them off. No big deal. Also the one LS3 I dynoed this way gave me 426 WHP. Not sure what the base line was, most were dynoing aroung 375-385. So you get most of the power without a tune. But codes make people nervous.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #45
Fraxum

I am thinking about just the Stainless catback with my M6 NPP.

Anyone have this and kept the stock cats?

If M6 and the sensored cats are in, where would the CELs come from?

Also with the stock forward cats, NPP, and the Stainless CB is the exhaust really loud with the flaps closed just driving around?

I want to enjoy both modes. Track Mode at Atco should be fun.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #46
JonGSA

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I have that exactly, M6 NPP with SW catback, stock main cats... and i got two more codes last night after a month of being code free. :/ I can understand if you get a 0430 code on the right side, since we touch and relocate the sensor; and we have a flange between the cat and the sensor. So if anyone gets a 0430, I would check the flange and the sensor first. If you get a 0420 like me.....I'm straight up puzzled. The sensor is untouched after the cat and the flange is after the sensor. Plus the slip fit ensures a good connection. As long as its fully seated and the clamp is tight.

Last night I was driving to a show with some friends and the first one came on after a 25 minute drive. 0420 I cleared it before we took off to the next place. I made the hour drive to the arena with no CEL. Then on the way home, about 10 minutes into the drive, CEL again....0420. I got home and this cleared it this morning before heading to work.

Everything is tight and seated. I checked it a few times already. The only common denominator(s) i could think of when driving home last night was this. 1). It only happens on longer / sustained highway drives OR 2) It happens when i change modes. My latest crazy guess is, maybe with the catback on now, changing the modes and valve positions is affecting the flow past the sensor? the right sensor gets moved back a bit and is a foot away from the cat. The left is only a few inches past the cat. Could the improved flow and varying NPP valve backpressure be screwing with the flow over the sensor?

Also the to the post above, with the valves closed on tour or stealth....i barely makes a difference anymore. With the car on either of those mode, it's only a couple of dB quieter over sport or track.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
JonGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #47
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGSA View Post
I have that exactly, M6 NPP with SW catback, stock main cats... and i got two more codes last night after a month of being code free. :/ I can understand if you get a 0430 code on the right side, since we touch and relocate the sensor; and we have a flange between the cat and the sensor. So if anyone gets a 0430, I would check the flange and the sensor first. If you get a 0420 like me.....I'm straight up puzzled. The sensor is untouched after the cat and the flange is after the sensor. Plus the slip fit ensures a good connection. As long as its fully seated and the clamp is tight.

Last night I was driving to a show with some friends and the first one came on after a 25 minute drive. 0420 I cleared it before we took off to the next place. I made the hour drive to the arena with no CEL. Then on the way home, about 10 minutes into the drive, CEL again....0420. I got home and this cleared it this morning before heading to work.

Everything is tight and seated. I checked it a few times already. The only common denominator(s) i could think of when driving home last night was this. 1). It only happens on longer / sustained highway drives OR 2) It happens when i change modes. My latest crazy guess is, maybe with the catback on now, changing the modes and valve positions is affecting the flow past the sensor? the right sensor gets moved back a bit and is a foot away from the cat. The left is only a few inches past the cat. Could the improved flow and varying NPP valve backpressure be screwing with the flow over the sensor?

Also the to the post above, with the valves closed on tour or stealth....i barely makes a difference anymore. With the car on either of those mode, it's only a couple of dB quieter over sport or track.
Sorry to hear that about the codes. That and what you said about the sound makes me to think the Stainless CB is not for me. Maybe I am back to axlebacks. I have heard the quieter Hooker is about right for me, but then not everyone has been happy with the quality. I will keep looking.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #48
insidethreat07

Dang, I hate codes, maybe instead of the catback, I'll just do an axleback....
Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #49
JonGSA

I don't want to sound negative and crap on the catback. It's a quality system and sounds awesome. While the modes aren't as drastically different as the stock NPP, there is some difference. Just not a lot. If your cruising along in a higher gear it can actually get quiet-ish. When I'm doing 65 in 6th on the highway on Tour, not bad at all. Drop it to 5th or 4th or sport, it wakes up.

The cel codes are a little annoying though. Some people have no codes, others do like me. It's almost as if some sensors are touchy. I had my right side sensor replaced a few months ago when the were diagnosing a bad fuel injector. For all I know the left sensor could be touchy now and causing the headaches.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #50
shrubby

Drives: 16' Black³ / 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I don't want to sound negative and crap on the catback. It's a quality system and sounds awesome. While the modes aren't as drastically different as the stock NPP, there is some difference. Just not a lot. If your cruising along in a higher gear it can actually get quiet-ish. When I'm doing 65 in 6th on the highway on Tour, not bad at all. Drop it to 5th or 4th or sport, it wakes up.

The cel codes are a little annoying though. Some people have no codes, others do like me. It's almost as if some sensors are touchy. I had my right side sensor replaced a few months ago when the were diagnosing a bad fuel injector. For all I know the left sensor could be touchy now and causing the headaches.
Man that sucks. Have you tried to contact SW? Maybe they can help diagnose the issue. You definitely shouldn't be getting a CEL with the cat back system. Maybe there's a defect with the one you got or something...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #51
JonGSA

I haven't reached out to SW yet. I checked the exhaust a few weeks back, but I want to get her on ramps again and triple check everything one more time, before I go annoying them. Even then, chances are it's not their problem unless there's a massive exhaust leak from a clamp failing or a pipe cracking. So, with the long weekend ahead, I'll check it out again.

I hate to say but, I think my SS hates mods. When I put my intake on months ago, it threw codes left and right and it ended up being a bad #8 injector leaning out past the tables because it was defective. They also replaced the right side post cat O2 sensor too. I'm wondering, like i said before, if the left sensor is off or touchy. But then...how do I go to Chevy with that? "Yeah, my left post-o2 sensor is bad or too sensitive when I have my catback on, but it was fine when I had the stock system on..."

I might try one more thing too this weekend, by swapping the CAI out and go back to stock. As always around here, the intakes are questionable; so maybe its throwing off some AFR ratios in certain conditions. Plus the intake sounded nice with the stock NPP, now i cant even hear it with the catback. With the intake back to stock; If I do some hour+ highway driving and Mode changing with no CEL's....then maybe the intake was causing a condition. Those seem to be the triggers for the CEL to come on. If I get a CEL, with it back to stock, then it's something with the exhaust only.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250

Last edited by JonGSA; 09-01-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added thought...I was thinking actually for once....
Old 09-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #52
Fraxum

Quote:
I haven't reached out to SW yet. I checked the exhaust a few weeks back, but I want to get her on ramps again and triple check everything one more time, before I go annoying them. Even then, chances are it's not their problem unless there's a massive exhaust leak from a clamp failing or a pipe cracking. So, with the long weekend ahead, I'll check it out again.

I hate to say but, I think my SS hates mods. When I put my intake on months ago, it threw codes left and right and it ended up being a bad #8 injector leaning out past the tables because it was defective. They also replaced the right side post cat O2 sensor too. I'm wondering, like i said before, if the left sensor is off or touchy. But then...how do I go to Chevy with that? "Yeah, my left post-o2 sensor is bad or too sensitive when I have my catback on, but it was fine when I had the stock system on..."

I might try one more thing too this weekend, by swapping the CAI out and go back to stock. As always around here, the intakes are questionable; so maybe its throwing off some AFR ratios in certain conditions. Plus the intake sounded nice with the stock NPP, now i cant even hear it with the catback. With the intake back to stock; If I do some hour+ highway driving and Mode changing with no CEL's....then maybe the intake was causing a condition. Those seem to be the triggers for the CEL to come on. If I get a CEL, with it back to stock, then it's something with the exhaust only.
Keep us posted. I suppose I need to hear the SB CB to know for sure its too loud flaps closed. But CA6 SS Camaros are srill very rare beasts here in south NJ.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #53
insidethreat07

any more news on this?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #54
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Are you guys paying over 2 grand for this system or is there a deal somewhere? I never paid 2k for only a catback. I never paid 2k for anything exhaust related ever, are we being categorized as a corvette right now lol. I have been trying to wait for a nice sounding affordable system since the release of the vehicle but it has been almost a year since i had my car now with nothing affordable released yet. This is the best sounding exhaust to me as of right now excepts for kooks system, i have heard it in person and it is bad ass.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #55
shrubby

Drives: 16' Black³ / 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Are you guys paying over 2 grand for this system or is there a deal somewhere? I never paid 2k for only a catback. I never paid 2k for anything exhaust related ever, are we being categorized as a corvette right now lol. I have been trying to wait for a nice sounding affordable system since the release of the vehicle but it has been almost a year since i had my car now with nothing affordable released yet. This is the best sounding exhaust to me as of right now excepts for kooks system, i have heard it in person and it is bad ass.
I think I paid a little over 1500 or thereabouts for the catbacks, npp and afm valves. Headers were another 1k.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #56
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubby View Post
I think I paid a little over 1500 or thereabouts for the catbacks, npp and afm valves. Headers were another 1k.
Ok, that Is actually more reasonable, I can add the headers down the line once my warranty expires.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote