Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #15
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Michelin X Ice are my choice, they did a shoot out of all the best winter tires in many categories in 2015 and Michelin X Ice won all. I had them on my Cadillac ATS and they were amazing. Now all I have to do is find what 18 or 19 inch wheel will fit my SS
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capisce View Post
Still wrapping my head around all the tire options and sizes and how all this works. Sorry for the dumb question but: The stock wheels are the same size, correct? They just run different tires? Rear is 275mm and front is 245mm?

I looked on tire rack at their winter packages and they recommend an 18" wheel with 245 tires all around. If I found some stock 20" to buy though they would work with 245s as well? The difference in rubber cost is around $500-600 but I like the look of the wheels that come with the car better than anything else I'm seeing so for me that may be worth it.
Stock wheels have different widths, front is 8.5" and rear is 9.5". I wouldn't put anything narrower than a 255 on the stock rear wheel. A 245 tire will be very stretched on that wheel. GM used 245/40 and 275/35 because the overall diameters are very close... but I've seen people run fairly different overall diameters on this forum and they haven't reported any negative side effects, it's not like we're AWD after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slem View Post
Michelin X Ice are my choice, they did a shoot out of all the best winter tires in many categories in 2015 and Michelin X Ice won all. I had them on my Cadillac ATS and they were amazing. Now all I have to do is find what 18 or 19 inch wheel will fit my SS
I would consider what you'll be doing with the car as well... Blizzaks and other tires with deep tread are good for snow, but aren't as useful when it's dry and cold. I ran a set of Michelin Pilot Alpines on my CTS-V1 and they were good snow tires, but the tread was too deeply cut and soft so there was lots of flex and vagueness 95% of the time I drove the car - just cold and wet weather in the northeast. I have a set of Dunlops on my Camaro and snow traction isn't as great, but the tire performs much better in the dry. So unless you're really going to drive your Camaro in the snow, ice/snow tires might not be the best choice - just very good winter tires.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #17
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
Stock wheels have different widths, front is 8.5" and rear is 9.5".
So I have to find 4 fronts for sale haha
Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #18
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capisce View Post
So I have to find 4 fronts for sale haha
lol sure although it seems like a waste of $ to me... unless you get a good deal on used wheels.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #19
Tmcbigblue

Drives: 2016 1ss black 6m
Is there any other options than the expensive Pirelli for stock wheels on ss? I can't find any winter tires that fit the factory wheels other than the pirellis. I want to use the factory wheels for winter and in the spring get a set of aftermarket wheels for my ss. I know 18s are ideal, but I don't want 3 sets of wheels and I don't plan on driving in major snow. Light snow and ice and cold temps is what I'm worried about.
Tmcbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #20
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcbigblue View Post
Is there any other options than the expensive Pirelli for stock wheels on ss? I can't find any winter tires that fit the factory wheels other than the pirellis. I want to use the factory wheels for winter and in the spring get a set of aftermarket wheels for my ss. I know 18s are ideal, but I don't want 3 sets of wheels and I don't plan on driving in major snow. Light snow and ice and cold temps is what I'm worried about.
maybe try to look for 255/40/20 front / 285/35/20 rear
Old 08-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #21
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcbigblue View Post
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

This is a good tire size calculator, and it shows sizes with the closest diameter to the entered size. Let us know if TireRack has anything in the nearest sizes
Old 08-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
My 2016 Camaro 2LT has the RS package so it came with 20s. I went to tirerack.com and got 18" blizzaks for the winter up here in Cleveland. The 18s look a little odd on the car BUT, the 18" cut thru snow better than anything else AND that's what matters the most...............

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #23
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
My 2016 Camaro 2LT has the RS package so it came with 20s. I went to tirerack.com and got 18" blizzaks for the winter up here in Cleveland. The 18s look a little odd on the car BUT, the 18" cut thru snow better than anything else AND that's what matters the most...............
Picture with 18s ?
Old 08-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #24
2ssconvert

Drives: 2 SS Blue Velvet Convertible
Do 18's same size all around. Narrow tire will "bite" better into the snow and give you better traction. X-Ice 3 are pretty good all around. My view is hard / performance driving should be saved for nice dry summer days on a track. For the winter play it safe...18's all around. Cheaper and safer!
2ssconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
The question I have is will the 2016 18" stock Camaro wheels work? I like the OEM as the bolt right up without rings or spacers. I can't seem to get a straight answer on if they'll clear the calipers on the stock 4 piston Brembos.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #26
blazing_nitro

I'm running 255/55/18 pirelli ice and snow on 20 offset rims.

Realized the summer only 20's are not safe in cold conditions even if it's dry outside. With the money I saved on 20's I bought a 4wd explorer for snow.
blazing_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #27
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Here are my 18" Blizzak snow tires and matching rims that I used this past winter that I bought from tirerack.com in december. Well worth the money................
Attached Images

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #28
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Here are my 18" Blizzak snow tires and matching rims that I used this past winter that I bought from tirerack.com in december. Well worth the money................
Thanks for the pics. I went through all the tirerack rims yesterday and came to the conclusion that the ones they have in their one suggested package would look the best. Nice to really see that package on the car. Looks good. $1200 is not bad for a whole winter set up. What did you do about TPMS?