Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #281
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
i know the difference between the coyote and voodoo(my last car was a s197), ive heard whispers long before that(perhaps not on coyote architecture).
First I've ever heard of that.

The earliest rumor I heard from a friend in the industry was a 5.2 FPC (not codenamed Voodoo at that time) in a Roush test cell in March of 2013 that blew itself to pieces at 9,855 RPM during a max stress test.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #282
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Can't we just give Ford some props for thinking outside the box and trying something new? I mean they got a NA 500+ HP engine, us Camaro guys are dying to have a NA 500+HP engine.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #283
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Since when is 526HP low?

Again who makes an N/A V8 with more power?

You want to talk about resto mods, you got a point there. I don't think anyone in their right mind would use a Ford modular motor for a rest mod when you can find LS engines/parts for dirt cheap and yes once you go aftermarket you can make a lot of power in a LS style engine very easily and cheaply NA. But we aren't talking about aftermarket. We are taking rolling off the showroom floor.

Oh and the LT4 in the CTS-V is hit with the gas guzzler tax

I know there will be a GM bias here, but sometimes its ok to tip your cap across the field to the competition.
It's not the 526 that's low, it's the 429 ft/lbs of torque that's low. They are dynoing around 455/375. The "not so special" LT1 does 410/410. Perhaps the Ford just has more drive train loss, I don't know

This is why the GT350 is not any faster in the 1/4 mile. The 5.2 FPC only looks amazing in comparison to the 5.0. Yes, it revs to like 8000rpm. I fail to see why that is better than having a lot of usable low end torque though.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #284
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Can't we just give Ford some props for thinking outside the box and trying something new? I mean they got a NA 500+ HP engine, us Camaro guys are dying to have a NA 500+HP engine.
Blasphemy! Don't you know, all the best automotive engineers are required to be employed by GM? I don't even know why the other companies even bother to sell cars!
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #285
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
It's not the 526 that's low, it's the 429 ft/lbs of torque that's low. They are dynoing around 455/375. The "not so special" LT1 does 410/410. Perhaps the Ford just has more drive train loss, I don't know

This is why the GT350 is not any faster in the 1/4 mile. The 5.2 FPC only looks amazing in comparison to the 5.0. Yes, it revs to like 8000rpm. I fail to see why that is better than having a lot of usable low end torque though.
The LT1 produces, owing to it's larger displacement, OHV configuration and larger bore, 450 foot lbs of torque, 21 more ft lb more than the 5.2. I would hope it would put down more RWTQ than the Voodoo.

This dyno test of the GT350 shows it put down 467 WHP and 474 WTQ

http://www.motortrend.com/news/dyno-...nd-camaro-z28/

So a 455 HP Camaro puts down 410 WHP-45 HP loss

A 526 HP GT350 puts down 467 HP-59 HP loss

However this Camaro dyno put down 405 hp and 405 TQ..

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1510-...b-ft-and-more/

So the Camaro in this case lost 50 HP.

The take away? As others have said..you can't compare dyno runs.

The 5.2 Voodoo has a redline at 8,250 rpm. It makes it's peak power at 7,500. An LT1 is basically done by 6,000 RPM, HP starts dropping right about 5,800 RPM and TQ has started dropping off by 5,400 RPM. Look at the dyno graph on this write-up on the C.A.I. intake.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...in-30-minutes/

On the stock line torque starts dropping at 4,800 RPM and sinks like a rock after that. HP peaks at 5,700 and starts dropping after that.

While the LT1 is running out of breath, the Voodoo has another 2,250 RPM to run, and is making ever increasing power long after the LT1 has run out.

Why is this useful? On a race track it means that the car has to shift less, has more power on tap, and can enter a turn at say..5,000 RPM and put the pedal down and carry on for another 3,000 RPM..the LT1 would have to shift long, long before that. This is a huge advantage at tracks with long, open straights and sweeping turns.

The LT1 is not the same motor as LS engines gone by, it makes much more power down low..but doesn't go as high at all. The LS7 could go to 7,000 without problem bone stock where the LT1 was running out of oomph at 5,800.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #286
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The LT1 tq curve hits a wall at 4500 rpm. It carries ok until peak hp, but if they got more air into the engine, it would be making well north of 455 hp.

The blue line is the tq curve of the LS3. The red line is the LT1. Look how flat the LS3 is across it's power band and then look at how the LT1 drops way off.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #287
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
While the LT1 is running out of breath, the Voodoo has another 2,250 RPM to run, and is making ever increasing power long after the LT1 has run out.

Why is this useful? On a race track it means that the car has to shift less, has more power on tap, and can enter a turn at say..5,000 RPM and put the pedal down and carry on for another 3,000 RPM..the LT1 would have to shift long, long before that. This is a huge advantage at tracks with long, open straights and sweeping turns.
This is some of the dumbest crap I have ever read, but it's not the first time I've read this from a Ford guy.

I didn't realize the LT1 is doing the shifting and didn't realize the GT350 has way way longer gears than a Camaro SS.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #288
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
This is some of the dumbest crap I have ever read, but it's not the first time I've read this from a Ford guy.

I didn't realize the LT1 is doing the shifting and didn't realize the GT350 has way way longer gears than a Camaro SS.
Disprove it then, and not by resorting to ad hominem attacks.

I'll wait.

Perhaps Stingray can chime in since he owns a GT350 and has experience on the track.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #289
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:

I'll wait.

Perhaps Stingray can chime in since he owns a GT350 and has experience on the track.
Example..Both cars are geared to do 120 in third gear.. Explain to me how car number two is still pulling in third gear at 125..
Old 03-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #290
ChefBorOzzy

Can you guys also talk about the torque multiplication from other forum? Lmao
Old 03-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #291
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

I'll wait.

I think the explanation was too simple. There are many factors in road racing and high RPM is not the end all. There are many competitive engines out there than do not rely on 8k+ power bands. My understanding is Ford chose this route to reach the power goals they needed without completely designing a new large displacement engine from scratch. They chose FPC exactly for this because it gave them the RPMs (by way of reducing rotating mass) needed to meet the power goal and emissions. They then geared the car to put that powerband to use for both track and street. That in of itself, produces compromises on both arenas.

Point to be made, gearing to match your engine's powerband is what is important. Not necessarily what RPM you are making power at or how much RPM range you have.

BTW I'm not saying the Voodoo is not a great engine choice for the car's intended purpose. But there is much more to the whole car than it producing power beyond 6500rpm.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #292
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Can you guys also talk about the torque multiplication from other forum? Lmao
Why don't you? Oh, wait, you were banned over there, right? What were you banned for again?
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #293
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
Why don't you? Oh, wait, you were banned over there, right? What were you banned for again?
For calling out lying Ford humpers. It was okay for resident idiot to call others names on a daily basis, but if you're not waving the Ford flag, don't say anything against lies!! Lelz.

It's great, only point you can bringg up is that I can't post on that forum anymore. A fellow Mustang owner can't post there because a few people on there were so butthurt.

I'm sorry that the Ford guys have arguments with giant holes in them. RPM, net torque, Yada Yada Yada. Writing up three pages of bullshit to make it seem like they know what they're talking about.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #294
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
For calling out lying Ford humpers. It was okay for resident idiot to call others names on a daily basis, but if you're not waving the Ford flag, don't say anything against lies!! Lelz.

It's great, only point you can bringg up is that I can't post on that forum anymore. A fellow Mustang owner can't post there because a few people on there were so butthurt.

I'm sorry that the Ford guys have arguments with giant holes in them. RPM, net torque, Yada Yada Yada. Writing up three pages of bullshit to make it seem like they know what they're talking about.
I seen those posts lol. Torque multiplication.

Didn't turn out too well in the real world.

Drivers race they said...yeah... Sure
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote