Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
babymandm

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Looking to buy my first convertible

Another member gave me the link to this sub-forum. I'm a Camaro girl, never owned any other model since I was 16. I never owned a vert before and I started getting more interested in them, so I took one for a test drive and now I'm hooked! I'm looking to trade my 14 in for an 11-13 Vert but I was told by other members about problems with the top. I'm hoping you can give me some insight and or advice on what to look for when I find one and any problems you've had with yours.

Do you have to spray them to protect them? And has anyone had any issues with the motor going for the top? I really could use some help since nobody in my extended family has ever owned one.

I found a 2011 but I found out last night that it was wrecked this year and the mileage was 49,500. I was hoping for lower miles if possible. So now I found a 2012 with 12,000 miles on it. I'm only seeing pictures and video since the dealer is almost 3 hours away. But I'd like to be prepared before I make the trip.

And as far as the factory warranty, is the top covered under the factory warranty? And if so, which part of the warranty and what does it cover? And worse case scenario, down the road if it would need replaced, is it expensive to replace? And how big of a job is it?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I hope something works out for me and I finally get a vert. Have a great day!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
As a person who had his first 2012 bought back and all the problems I had, I would steer clear of the 11 and 12 Verts. They redesigned the tops and water bags. The 13's and up have a corded top which pulls it tighter when down. If I was in search of a used vert right now, I would be looking at the 14's and 15's which still have a part of the 3/36 warranty left on them. Any extended warranty does not cover any part of the top nor mechanism. It is a waste of money.
Hope this helps but if I was in the market for a Camaro Vert right now I would either find a nice 4th gen with a V8 or wait till 2017 and pick up a new 6th gen.
Just my 2 cents
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
babymandm

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Anytime. If you have any more questions you can ask here or stop by the Camaro Convertible Top Problems Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Totally agree with the above. I had a '12 and had to have the top replaced......the '13 s should be ok, but you can probably find an affordable '14 shortly, the '16s are gonna hit the showroom very soon and then the earlier models will be marked down.

Happy shopping!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
I own a 14 Vert. I specifically waited for a top redesign before I purchased it. The horror stories on earlier convertibles are never ending. Many have no issues at all, but if one does it is a total nightmare. I strongly suggest spending a few more $ to get a 14-15 model, it will be worth the peace of mind. Plus you get the sexy tail-lights!

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
I have a 2013 no problems what so ever. Stay clear or 2011-2012 models. My .02
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I've already commented extensively on your original post on the main forum page. I'll transfer the info over here so all convertible brethren can see what information has been shared.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...74&postcount=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymandm View Post
I've posted numerous times about the 14 Camaro I'm trying to trade for a 5th generation vert, I've been unsuccessful all this time but I may have found what I'm looking for. What concerns me is the mileage on this 2011 is 49,500. Would you purchase a 2011 with that mileage? They are asking $23,900 for the car. And they think they can work a deal out with my 2014, but I have a fear or doing the wrong thing, due to the mileage. Any advice would be appreciated. Anyone with an 11 SS, what mileage are you at and have you had any problems? Thanks so much for your help. This girl needs to get her vert! ��

Also the dealer told me this car has the ambient lighting. I thought only the 13's had the ambient lighting, so what year did they start that on the inside doors?
Are you aware of the top problems numerous 2011-2012 convertible owners have encountered? If you are, then you'd be making a fairly informed and calculated buying decision. If not, head on over to the convertible forum and do a search for "top problems".

Mind you, not all early convertibles have had top problems but they're definitely out there and you'd at least want to know any vehicles' convertible top history (was it replaced, did it sustain interior water damage, was the top "recall" performed?). If it has had top work performed, was a letter for extended warranty coverage issued by GM?

Then there's the potential "tonneau cover" issue. Not a problem if you don't intend on using it but it's a should-know potential issue.

Ambient lighting with adjustable brightness was standard which illuminates on both doors and dashboard. No cup holder or foot well lighting, though. That'd have to be aftermarket. GM & dealers sell the kits, among others.

I don't believe the mileage is unreasonable for a 2011. If it wasn't beaten on and well cared for, it should perform just fine.

If you're considering a 'vert from a GM dealer, HOPEFULLY it's a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) and HOPEFULLY it may cover the convertible top and all of it's components for 12 months or 12k miles. If it's not a CPO and you're not confident in tearing the top down and buying the new parts GM redesigned for the late 2012+ MYs, I'd walk away from it and wait for a BONA FIDE problem-free 5th Gen. 'vert or the 6th Gen. That's me, however. You may not think along those same lines.

Thus far, I'm one of the lucky 'vert owners on this forum. No top problems since purchased new. BTW, these problems have affected all trims, irrespective of whether 1LT, 2LT, 1SS or 2SS.

Keep us posted on your findings & progress. BTW, driving a 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible is not "just" driving a Camaro, it's a lifestyle.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 10-09-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
Baba

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=27

OP: You really, really, really should go look at this convertible in person and closely inspect the top AFTER reading up on the convertible forum about what to look for and be aware of.

A CarFax will NOT tell you whether the top has had problems or been repaired. That information MAY be obtained through the (any) GM dealer's service department with a printout of the vehicle's history report if you can provide them with the VIN. IF the work was done at / through a GM dealer (even if it was farmed out to a local shop) and IF it was entered into the vehicle's service history at the dealership (which it should).

I'm NOT CERTAIN whether a certified pre-owned warranty will cover the top and associated components. I *think* it may but that is something you should check with the dealer and SEE IT IN WRITING on the explanation of what the CPO warranty covers (and, remember, that's only good for one year from the purchase date or X miles). That is something you SHOULD absolutely, positively be in-the-know about. Otherwise, if this vehicle has top problems and you're unable to persuade the dealer or GM to assist in getting any top issues repaired, you're potentially looking at paying for any repair(s) yourself, hiring a lawyer and possibly even filing a complaint with the BBB. Either way, it's going to cost you time and cause a lot of aggravation.

A GM extended warranty will NOT cover any portions of the top or its mechanism(s) unless it specifically states that it will (which is highly UNLIKELY) - or the vehicle is under an extended top warranty coverage - of which documentation should exist in GM's database.

As mentioned above, you SHOULD read about all of these things on the convertible forum side. DEFINITELY see the car in person and know what to look for and ask about. If you get a good one, it's an awesome experience. If you get one with problems, it may be a lot of headaches and money out of your pocket and a not-so-good memory every time you consider wanting to own (another) convertible.

If you feel uncertain about that particular vehicle, keep looking. There are plenty of them out there and a less risky option may be the 2013 model year. There are far fewer complaints about their tops than the 2011 & 2012 MY's. However, none of the 5th Gen. MY's are immune from these *potential* problems.

Good luck with your search and please keep us posted on your findings and decision.
3 Pedals

Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Baba

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=31

Quote:
I didn't ask about the dash, I know this car has it on the doors but I don't know about the dash. I'm sure that would brawl some looking though! I'd love that option.
I'm certain I erred on the dash lighting. It's been so long since I've driven my convertible I'm unable to remember. The doors definitely have ambient lighting. Mine is an aqua blue color. Not sure if that is the "default" color all of them came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Was their anything in particular which makes 2013 vert tops less susceptible than eariler years?
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. Did they do something different to make the 13 tops have few problems? Just curious.

Thanks for all your help. Once I hear back and if they can work with me, I plan on checking out the car and asking lots of questions and doing as much research as possible. I'm hoping I can find someone who knows more about Convertibles that can go with us if we go. I'm going to ask around. Thanks again!
Certain parts of the top mechanism underwent a redesign beginning in the Fall of 2011 / Winter 2012. The top material, however, was not changed.

The changes were undertaken in order to alleviate "pinching" of the cloth top when retracted or in the process of retracting. This is with all likelihood how the "rub marks" developed which had a good chance of advancing to holes in the top cloth material. The edges of the top when retracted also appear to rub against the body also causing rub marks for some owners.

Furthermore, the water drainage bags located in the rear fender wells were redesigned to be larger and have more secure drainage tube connectors (the tubing provides water to drain from the bags to the outside under the fenders) which often came loose from the bags (as well as getting clogged with debris) allowing water to escape into the cabin front and / or rear floor boards, rear seat, and trunk.

You'll find numerous members here whose convertibles have undergone more than one top replacement and, yet, the same problems appear to persist. Several have also had GM buy their cars back (I'm guessing that happens with a small percentage of every manufacturer's vehicles).

Mind you, not everyone has had these problems and not everyone has had each one of these problems, but, they do exist and the number of posts here prove it.

Then there's the "tonneau" cover. The cover is designed to fit over the retracted top to make it look more "polished" (and also prevents us from seeing the top in our rear view mirror flapping around due to wind turbulence). It looks great but for a number of people it hasn't been. First off, there are 2 bolts which should be attached behind the tulip in the gap between the rear brake light and retracted top which serve as anchors for attaching the tonneau cover.

These bolts did NOT come attached to the vehicle from the factory. They need to be installed by the service department or new owner. The majority of buyers didn't know this (I only learned about this by reading the forum prior to purchasing mine). The tonneau was then placed over the top without being anchored in place and most often flew off, becoming airborne like a bat. A LOT of people didn't know about that. If you buy, double-check these bolts are in place. Just because it's a pre-owned 'vert doesn't necessarily mean the previous owner(s) or service departments knew about this or, if they did, made the effort to install them. ALWAYS check to ensure these bolts are in place.

Around the same time as the redesigned top parts, GM redesigned the tonneau cover. The original tonneau cover had two plastic clips which clip on to / slide over the bolts. Even when properly attached, the tonneau still had good chance of blowing off. The redesigned 2nd version had two small bungee cords instead of the clips. It was an improvement for some, but others still had issues with the cover coming loose and even blowing off.

The tonneau only came from the factory on the 2LT and 2SS trims. 1LT and 1SS it was an add-on "option". Therefore, it's not an absolute necessity. GM must've thought it's OK for the top to flapping in the wind driving 55 mph. A fair number of members aren't confident that's healthy for the top cloth.

This is a youtube video made by one of our Camaro5 members of his tonneau cover blowing around:

The 2013+ MYs appear to have far fewer top problems but are not immune to them. I suppose no convertible ever is. That's the burden you live with when you own a convertible, regardless of manufacturer.

Mind you, a lot of us don't have problems (but they could crop up at any time) but it's still a KILLER car. If you can afford it, look at 2013's. They're somewhat less risky because of the guaranteed redesigned mechanism and associated parts and have more features and options (backup camera, navigation).

Also, are you aware of what the 2011's don't come with vs. 2012+ MYs? No backup camera (only backup audible "assistance" as in "beep"), no navigation, 2011 & 2012's came with darkened tail light lenses with the RS package - which became standard on 2013+ MYs.

Also be aware that if buying a 2011, 2012 or 2013(?) 2LT or 2SS, the tonneau cover COMES WITH THE CAR from the factory. It's standard equipment. Make sure the it's there when you're inspecting the vehicle. Also be aware the SS does NOT come with a spare tire nor is there a GM option for one. If you want one, it'll either require you to load a full-size spare into the trunk or aftermarket spacers because of the brakes. What does come standard is an inflator and a can of gunk to patch a leak with. On the LT trims the "donut" spare is an option.

It's certainly not my intention to dissuade you from considering the purchase of a 5th Gen. Convertible but only to make you aware of some of the well-known problems that have existed with the earlier MYs, in particular. I'd imagine you wouldn't be keen on buying what someone else has divested themselves of because of problems that you then have to deal with. There are plenty of problem-free 'verts out there but knowing what the issues are can make or break your ownership experience.

You've got a lot of reading and researching to do. It should be fun, however. You're making a big purchasing decision and, driving a 5th Gen. Camaro convertible is awesome.
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 10-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Baba

Quote:
Another member gave me the link to this sub-forum. I'm a Camaro girl, never owned any other model since I was 16. I never owned a vert before and I started getting more interested in them, so I took one for a test drive and now I'm hooked! I'm looking to trade my 14 in for an 11-13 Vert but I was told by other members about problems with the top. I'm hoping you can give me some insight and or advice on what to look for when I find one and any problems you've had with yours.

Do you have to spray them to protect them? And has anyone had any issues with the motor going for the top? I really could use some help since nobody in my extended family has ever owned one.

I found a 2011 but I found out last night that it was wrecked this year and the mileage was 49,500. I was hoping for lower miles if possible. So now I found a 2012 with 12,000 miles on it. I'm only seeing pictures and video since the dealer is almost 3 hours away. But I'd like to be prepared before I make the trip.

And as far as the factory warranty, is the top covered under the factory warranty? And if so, which part of the warranty and what does it cover? And worse case scenario, down the road if it would need replaced, is it expensive to replace? And how big of a job is it?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I hope something works out for me and I finally get a vert. Have a great day!
The top IS COVERED under the original new vehicle 36 month / 36k mile factory warranty. Any top problems which may develop after that are a "crap shoot" as to whether the dealer / GM will cover them or at least help to defray the cost of a repair.

I've not seen many threads about the top motor burning out. It has happened but I think (from reading this forum everyday) it's a rather rare occurrence.

As mentioned previously, if you can afford a 2013 or newer, that'd probably be a less risky proposition than an 11 or 12 MY.

*** My apologies to my fellow 'vert forum members if it appears as though I'm monopolizing the replies to the OP's thread. However, since I've already commented extensively on her thread beginning a couple of days ago, I thought it'd be useful to transfer the info from the main forum page, where the OP originally posted, to our forum as the OP has now posted here.
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 10-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candr3535 View Post
I have a 2013 no problems what so ever. Stay clear or 2011-2012 models. My .02
+1 No problems with my 13
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
2011here and no issues but one other thing to consider when choosing the year is they have done one update on the front end and I believe 2 changes in the rear end since production started
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Angella
~Living the Dream~

Drives: 11 2SSRS Vert, 11 CBR250
i got the 11 vert and although yes it has been ALOT of problems with the top, i wouldnt trade it for the world. Love that car to pieces and it taught me lot of how to work with the convertible. I am going to take the adventure again with a new top and add the new 6th gen camaro to my collection. Any convertible is going to be high maintance. Overtime it will be worn out and things will happen, it comes with the territory. So might as well embrace it and make sure you have an awesome dealership you are working with.