Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #71
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
The v8 snobbery is stong lately.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #72
SSChecky

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Just curious, and not bashing... you mentioned you bought your 2SS about 3 months ago, if it has 41k miles on it, and you have already bought it paid taxes, registration / licenses fee's etc.. you will be in the hole that money; it wouldn't make sense to trade an SS in for another SS just because of lower mileage in my opinion - if you're trying to save money. 41k miles is basically the same as 25k miles, i couldn't tell you the difference in the 'feel' of the car over the course of 16k, or even last 20k miles...

Like others have said, it's your car, your money and you can do what you want, but 41k miles isn't really that many miles for these cars.

you gotta stray away from looking at the scenario of if you bought an ss today with less than 25k miles it would be $30k, and a v6 would be $20k, that's not a $10k savings if you got your current SS for $24k paid taxes and such (call it $26k), trade in value at $22k (eat $4k over the course of 3 months), finance a 2010 at $20k, plus tax, lic, etc.. again, $22k, your trade in breaks you even, you're out that $4k and now just have a slightly lower car payment, slightly lower insurance and slightly lower gas bill... but you lost $4k and in the hole another $2k, so thats $6k you're out... gas, insurance and car payment isn't going to spin that in the 'saved money' direction for quite a few years...
you dont pay taxes twice. if i trade in my v8 for a v6 i dont pay taxes again, i believe all id pay is a $25 license fee. look all that math is pointless. i owe 25k on my v8 with 41k miles. so on my bank statement it says i owe 25,000. if i get a v6 itll say 22,000. simple as that. and v6 takes regular gas and better mpg prob $30-$50 a month in gas.

i feel like 41k is alot of miles for when you first buy a car. because when you pay it off itll be at 100k miles. itd be time for a new car pretty much. lets say i get a v6 with 20000 miles itll take me over TWO YEARS to get to where my v8 is at right now. let that sink in.
SSChecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #73
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
I don't understand why OP didn't get a LT in the first place.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #74
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChecky View Post
you dont pay taxes twice. if i trade in my v8 for a v6 i dont pay taxes again, i believe all id pay is a $25 license fee. look all that math is pointless. i owe 25k on my v8 with 41k miles. so on my bank statement it says i owe 25,000. if i get a v6 itll say 22,000. simple as that. and v6 takes regular gas and better mpg prob $30-$50 a month in gas.
Can't say about your state, but in Florida taxes don't work like that. If you were to trade in a car that still had $25k owed and they gave you $25k for the trade, it would be a wash and you would owe the full tax rate on the new car in this case $22k.

If you owed $25k and they gave you $27k, you would subtract that $2k after payoff and not pay taxes on that amount, so taxes would be paid on $20k instead of $22k.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #75
SSChecky

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I don't understand why OP didn't get a LT in the first place.
because op had a honda civic with 40mpg before and didnt really realize what an average of 12 mpg and premium gas costs for someone that drivers over 1000 miles a month and at the time op didnt realize 40k miles was alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Can't say about your state, but in Florida taxes don't work like that. If you were to trade in a car that still had $25k owed and they gave you $25k for the trade, it would be a wash and you would owe the full tax rate on the new car in this case $22k.

If you owed $25k and they gave you $27k, you would subtract that $2k after payoff and not pay taxes on that amount, so taxes would be paid on $20k instead of $22k.
in missouri you dont pay taxes twice.
SSChecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #76
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
in missouri you dont pay taxes twice.
Explain what you mean by twice, it seems that if you break even on the trade the new car would be 100% taxable because there is no roll over from the trade in.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #77
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
I plan to trade my 2SS for an 2Lt but i have a problem. the 2LT has an aftermarket CAI and im VERY paranoid about aftermarket parts i like a car to be stock when im buying it. my concern is i noticed they removed the OEM cover GM puts over the CAI so i dont know can engine get damaged heres a picture from dealers website. what do you guys think?

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DM...9129126/12.jpg
What if you can get a 5yr 100k mile extended warranty for $1400? That's what I have. Isn't that really why you want a lower milage car?
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #78
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I floor it at least once every day. Literally, every day. Most probably do.
Every time I drive it, yes sir!!
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #79
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
I kind of see where the OP is coming from, but, like the others, he already has the SS, and the mileage difference between the two cars is minimal in my opinion. I bought a v6 for the same reasons as the OP, less expensive (especially in vert form), and to me 340 hp or so is enough with my CAI. however, what the OP is doing I think is silly, as if I had a SS already, I surely woudnt go to a v6 with lesser HP, brakes and suspension. when I was shopping, insurance difference was VERY minimal for the SS. for me, the upfront cost price difference was the major factor, gas mileage being second. but the OP has made up his mind apparently, but as a V6 owner, I think he should keep the SS!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #80
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Wow ...more then one v6 owner telling me i never will use the power of my car.....what was i thinking.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #81
MaNiaK

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS RS
I think this is a poor decision. 40k miles is not a lot. The SS is a much more valuable car. And the dealer wouldn't even consider this deal if it weren't quite profitable for them. Keep your SS !
MaNiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #82
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiaK View Post
I think this is a poor decision. 40k miles is not a lot. The SS is a much more valuable car. And the dealer wouldn't even consider this deal if it weren't quite profitable for them. Keep your SS !
This... The only one going to win is the dealer. This guy will have paid mark up twice to them in a short period of time. They aren't doing this to save him money. This has nothing to do with v6 vs v8 its just about someone making bad purchase decisions and winding up upside down...

But its his money and his car so have at it!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #83
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
You're making a huge mistake. The mpg difference will be minimal, the insurance difference will be minimal, but the loss you'll take by trading your car after only 3 months will likely be substantial, not to mention that the 2LT will be a less desirable car to trade down the road than your current SS.
Agreed. I only pay 115 on my ss with full coverage insurance and gap. Before this I had a V6 and was paying more.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #84
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
SS guys care about performance so much but rarely use it LOL

Not everyone is out here on their fast and furious shit..some of us jst want to drive a nice lookn car and thats it.
I bought my ABM v6 instead of a black SS. I get more compliments on the color than I would the extra cylinders... Obviously the SS is faster but I don't have any complaints about how this car performs so I don't have any regrets.

Having said that, my car is getting up there in mileage so I will be buying a 2017 SS.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote