Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 08-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
it definitely is not his business!

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
We've got a car we've kept registered and insured for the past 6 years without moving it and I've never had them ask why the mileage stays the same

Although we really should cancel it every time we get the bill we think nah we'll just get it running soon... lol

I have allstate by the way, zero issues and the local agent is really helpful.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #17
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
8 cars for roughly $600 every six months is hard to beat though. :(
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
8 cars for roughly $600 every six months is hard to beat though. :(
At the rate you drive that's about $1/mile!
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
I'm having a weird thing with my car insurance company. I have 12 cars, I work out of my home and my wife works 1 block away from our home. We don't travel very much - I run to the bank and post office every day (maybe 2 miles) and we do groceries and sometimes put maybe 25-30 miles on one of the cars on a Saturday.

So, I have provided very low miles driven for each car on my policy. I'm sure it affects my insurance cost.

Today, I get a letter from them demanding me explain why I am not averaging 12,000 miles per year, per car, like the rest of the world's drivers. Can't they count? 8 of the cars I have are on that same policy with them, so while they may not know about my others (which I have on classic/antique insurance), surely they can count the 8 (not to mention also a motorcycle).

Now I have to spend the hot afternoon going from car to car to write down the current odometer reading for them and I have to write an exception explanation for each of the cars for them.

I tried calling to explain, but the guy on the phone said three times, "Why do you have so many cars?"

None of his freaking business.

By their "estimations," I should be driving almost 150,000 miles per year (total) while working from my home and with all the stores and businesses that we frequent each being within a 2-3 mile radius. Oy vey.

I would understand them having questions if you had eight cars, and all of them were averaging 12K per year... not impossible, but it would be difficult to do, and it would certainly give the appearance that you were sharing your car with lots of people not listed on your policy. THAT might even be a legitimate excuse to ask why you have so many cars... maybe. Still an intrusive question, but would be a line of questioning in trying to get you to trip up and accidentally reveal that you are sharing your cars with a half- dozen homeless people who routinely drive drunk.

But having exceedingly LOW annual mileage reported should be an insurance agent's wet dream... you are paying them to insure cars that never get driven! You'd think that the agent would be giggling uncontrollably over what a jackpot policy he had written, one that rakes in cash every six months, and will almost certainly never have a claim against it.

Sounds like your agent just has a real bad case of dumb... to question a cash cow doesn't seem smart.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
pickwithaustin

As it is Geico, there really isn't an agent - it's all done online. I used to have my insurance through Nationwide, with my home policy, but Geico was far less expensive. Plus, when my teen son started driving and had his own policy with them, within 2 months of driving he had an at-fault accident and it totaled the other person's car. Geico paid the other car and never raised my son's rates - THAT was impressive.

The numbers I gave as miles for each car are estimated high even... I just really don't have need to drive that much, even as much as I love cars. They said if I don't get them the form back quickly with my odometer reading for each car and a sworn statement on each one as to how many miles I will drive each annually, that they will automatically raise them all to 12,000 miles.

Wow... Even if I didn't work from home, was young and going out a lot, etc., I don't think I could rack up 12,000 miles on 8 cars (not to mention the motorcycle and other cars I have that are with another insurance carrier!).
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #21
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Wow... Even if I didn't work from home, was young and going out a lot, etc., I don't think I could rack up 12,000 miles on 8 cars (not to mention the motorcycle and other cars I have that are with another insurance carrier!).
But it would be fun to try.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
pickwithaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
But it would be fun to try.

Well... it would be expensive (gas).
With what I save though, I can add another car (always looking!!!).