Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #1
Geebus

Drives: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 6MT
GM's plans for attracting new demographics is working

I currently live in Vancouver, Canada and Camaros are nowhere near as popular as other sporty coupés. You generally see a Camaro once or twice a month but rarely more than that so a sixth gen would really turn heads.

Most of the coupés here are BMW's, Mercs, Audis, Hondas and FRS/BRZs. It's funny that the market here shies away from most domestic cars with the two exceptions being entry level models (Cruze, etc) due to price and trucks in the more rural parts.

I currently drive a 2014 V6 Accord Coupé 6MT and I glanced at the V6 Camaro and V6 Mustang at the time I bought mine but I just couldn't get over the interiors in each, which led me to my decision. My previous car was a BMW 545i which I loved but the maintenance after the warranty runs out is quite eye opening.

Anyway, from what I see Chevy seems to have done a phenomenal job with the 2016 Camaro. I love how they kept a manual transmission in it too, that's huge points in my book. My company offers supplier pricing on GM so it seems like a no brainer - although I'd likely opt for a fully loaded 2LT 3.6 and not the SS. 335hp is plenty for me and for whatever reason the 2LT RS looks more elegant than the SS.

Any pointers from any seasoned Camaro vets regarding essential options, maintenance issues or why the SS model is worth the price jump would be appreciated! Cheers.
Geebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #2
camaro_noob

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible 2LT RS
I currently own a V6 camaro convertible and I love the car. At first when I bought it I thought I was going to hate it because I wanted a V8 and I really did not want a convertible, but it has won me over. 323hp is more horsepower than most Audi's, Mercedes, and BMW's and the car is not slow at all. It loves to cruise on the freeway at 90mph and it doesn't even notice mountains. My next camaro will be a V8 convertible, because I really want to know what its like to own a V8. If I had to get a V6 again I probably would still be satisfied. The 6th gen exhaust note on the V6 sounds amazing.
camaro_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:38 AM   #3
Geebus

Drives: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 6MT
Yes I totally agree. The 4 cylinder doesn't seem to be my type of engine. From what I hear the exhaust sounds a little muffled and I personally like revving engines out. I'd probably opt for the dual mode exhaust with the V6. As much as I'd like the 6.2 litre, I'm pretty sure I'd lose my license with it - it's pretty strict up here.

Congrats on the convertible! If it didn't rain so much in Vancouver I'd have looked into that as well.
Geebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebus View Post
I currently live in Vancouver, Canada and Camaros are nowhere near as popular as other sporty coupés. You generally see a Camaro once or twice a month but rarely more than that so a sixth gen would really turn heads.

Most of the coupés here are BMW's, Mercs, Audis, Hondas and FRS/BRZs. It's funny that the market here shies away from most domestic cars with the two exceptions being entry level models (Cruze, etc) due to price and trucks in the more rural parts.

I currently drive a 2014 V6 Accord Coupé 6MT and I glanced at the V6 Camaro and V6 Mustang at the time I bought mine but I just couldn't get over the interiors in each, which led me to my decision. My previous car was a BMW 545i which I loved but the maintenance after the warranty runs out is quite eye opening.

Anyway, from what I see Chevy seems to have done a phenomenal job with the 2016 Camaro. I love how they kept a manual transmission in it too, that's huge points in my book. My company offers supplier pricing on GM so it seems like a no brainer - although I'd likely opt for a fully loaded 2LT 3.6 and not the SS. 335hp is plenty for me and for whatever reason the 2LT RS looks more elegant than the SS.

Any pointers from any seasoned Camaro vets regarding essential options, maintenance issues or why the SS model is worth the price jump would be appreciated! Cheers.

I too live in Vancouver and I agree. hardly any camaros out there at all. I see a sh!t ton of new mustangs daily, but maybe only one or two camaros weekly.

I can't wait to get my hands on a 6th gen. I like being diffrent and swiming in my own sea.
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'm leaning towards a 1SS this time, but I'm not going to try and talk you into a V8. I had a modified 5th gen V6 and loved it. I'd have no shame at all in owning another V6, and there is a chance that is still where I could end up. Weight substantially less, with a power bump, and better driving dynamics...its going to be a great ride.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I already see a different type of crowd on this forum as compared to Camaro5. That has got to be good for the Camaro!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
If you're 6ft (1.85m) or taller, don't get the sunroof. Want a comfortable ride in the V6, get 18" wheels instead of the 20". Want a comfortable ride in the V8, get Mag Ride Control. Get all the tech options. Then you should be very happy with the car.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
If you're 6ft (1.85m) or taller, don't get the sunroof. Want a comfortable ride in the V6, get 18" wheels instead of the 20". Want a comfortable ride in the V8, get Mag Ride Control. Get all the tech options. Then you should be very happy with the car.
I'm 6'1", my car has Recaros, and I have no issues with the sunroof. When the car comes out, people need to demo the cars and decide for themselves.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I already see a different type of crowd on this forum as compared to Camaro5. That has got to be good for the Camaro!
Well it is always good until these cars start to hit the used car market. The only forums i have been on that has never really got childish and outlandish is the g8 forums.
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I'm 6'1", my car has Recaros, and I have no issues with the sunroof. When the car comes out, people need to demo the cars and decide for themselves.
I agree with testing the car but the new car is supposedly shorter. I am not sure if the head room is less or if they lowered both the seat and roof line. However if the head room is less than the gen5 and you add a sunroof you might not fit.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl011 View Post
I agree with testing the car but the new car is supposedly shorter. I am not sure if the head room is less or if they lowered both the seat and roof line. However if the head room is less than the gen5 and you add a sunroof you might not fit.
It is my understanding they lowered the roofline 1/2" but the seat is also lower (amount not specified). So, headroom may be the same or slightly better. We really won't know until we sit in one.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Well it is always good until these cars start to hit the used car market. The only forums i have been on that has never really got childish and outlandish is the g8 forums.
I never been on a forum in my life, until I ordered my car last year. Now, hardly a day goes by that I don't visit. I was called a troll once, when I had about 5 posts on a catch can discussion. It is fun to watch some people get into discussions and sometimes I get caught up as well!
Old 08-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
Philar299

Drives: 2021 Forte GT
I'm in Vancouver as well.

I barley see any other Camaros either and I have already seen a ton of new mustangs.

My car does turn a lot of heads though

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Philar299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
Sintmk

Drives: Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Sintmk is offline   Reply With Quote