Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #15
alex3d

Drives: zl1
Aurocros are save events. I never wear heavy dutty helmets on those. I havent see any disasters live treatning, but you do what you are confortable with. Racing corcuits involving other drivers around you are totaly diferent, get the best you can afford.
alex3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
It's your head you are protecting don't get cheap!

If possible go to a shop that has them on display. Try them on to find out what feels good on YOUR head. I agree with the others don't use the motorcycle helmet, and use please a full face! Google Le Forte fracture. I saw one first hand and will never wear an open face helmet. His was a full stage 3 fracture!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
As others have said, don't get a motorcycle helmet. They are not fire-rated as required by most auto racing organizations. Personally, for autocross and NASA HPDE events, I like the open face helmets. In particular, I really like helmets made by IMPACT (like this one). Increasingly, open-face helmets are on their way out. Most people prefer the closed-face helmet.

Regardless of which style you prefer. Finding a physical shop to try on fire-rated racing helmets is a challenge - nobody sells them. Lots of motorcycle dealers and shops around though. Your strategy is to go to a motorcycle dealer or shop and try on motorcycle helmets for SIZE ONLY, and then go online to buy your fire-rated auto racing helmet.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #18
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Simpson or Sparco. Made in USA or Italy only. No mororcycle helmets are allowed in most hpde venues. I learned back in my motocross days, do not cheap out on safety gear. Saved me from injuries many times. SA 2015 rated helemts are due out in October, and may be required soon after release. I would wait until.they are released and buy a Simpson Carbon, strong and light.

Motorcycle helmets are single impact and not fire rated.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 06-20-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Definitely get a snell 2010 (unless you can find a 2015 rated). You don't want to show up at a racing event and get told your helmet doesn't meet specs. I know it doesn't make sense to me but motorcycle helmets usually don't meet specs.

If you ever do crash the car bad enough to actually need the helmet there will probably be glass flying so get a good full face. That's my opinion.

Here Are a couple links to web based companies that I have ordered from with no complaints:

http://www.racingdirect.com/Racing-H...rt_direction=1

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing...sa2010-helmets

Good luck.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Carbon fiber GForce are nice and light weight.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #21
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
You'll want to try them on, I couldn't find a Bell helmet that fit my head well. I ordered one from Amazon with prime and returned it.

I ended up buying a Simpson Voyager that fits great and has EXCELLENT VISIBILITY!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #22
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Buy a nice motorcycle helmet, and pull the face shield off.
Then tell your spouse that you now need a motorcycle.
Purchase motorcycle when spouse is out.

Problem solved.
I'm not married, so that won't be necessary haha
Old 06-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #23
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to see if I can find a place, reasonably close, that I can go try on helmets. I'm not one to skimp and buy something cheap, so it'll be a good helmet. I just want to make sure it meets all ratings and regulations. I'm leaning more towards a closed face helmet, but we'll see how I feel once I try one on.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #24
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL W0N View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to see if I can find a place, reasonably close, that I can go try on helmets. I'm not one to skimp and buy something cheap, so it'll be a good helmet. I just want to make sure it meets all ratings and regulations. I'm leaning more towards a closed face helmet, but we'll see how I feel once I try one on.
I used to race motorcycles before I switched to cars and when on the motorcycle the fit had to be quite tight to keep the helmet in place at speed. This isn't an issue in the car, you want it where you can turn your head and say no without it sliding on your head but it doesn't have to be vice tight. I guess what I'm saying is in the car the fit is not near as important as when your head is in a 100+ mph windstream. Technically they provide better crash protection if they are a little tight. Good luck.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #25
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Where's the best place to get an open face helmet for autocross and track events? Are there better brands than others? Thinking about doing my first autocross event next weekend and they require helmets.
I know this is not a forum sponsor, but I doubt anyone will put up much of a stink. This place is awesome, especially if you can go in person. But, should give you a good idea of what's out there. Great prices too. Mouse over motorcycle helmets, then scroll down and click on automotive helmets if you want the real deal.

http://www.helmetshop.com/
Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #26
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Hey, what are ya doin' July 5th?

go to these, ask questions, find an experienced autoxer, find out where he shops

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=15434

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=15436

1. Automotive helmet, because you want to do track days.
2. Full face, because dental work is expensive.
3. Try on helmets, all brands are made to slightly different dimensions and one will fit better than another.
4. Buy local. Support the local guy that supports local racing.
5. Buy the lightest helmet you care to afford. Those g-forces can tire out your neck on long track days.
6. Consider gloves and shoes while looking at helmets.

see this too

http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/aut...t-ratings.html
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #27
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
For autocross and track days, I use a Simpson Cruiser open-face. For wheel-to-wheel racing, I use a Simpson Bandit and HANS device.
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #28
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Stable Energies is in Garfield NJ and goes to Events in the NE

Wine Country Racing travels to most major races

You will definately want to try on a Helmet before buying. Different shaped heads fit in helmets differently. I use Bell (one of my Sponsors, I can get a Bieffe on my head)

Don't buy a Motorcycle Helmet - you will be amazed how fast the liners will incinerate!

Don't ever buy a used Helmet - you don't know if it was ever dropped and rendered useless

2015's will be available Oct 1st and not a day sooner. My Helmet (a New Bell model, a GP3 Carbon) is free to me and they can not ship it til Oct 1st

All Helmet Distributers (Stable, Wine Country, etc) have Snell 2010 on Sale right now, because they don't want to have Old Inventory

After you get a Helmet, take care of it. Don't ever drop it - that makes it useless. Dry it out properly. If want to get it painted by a Pro, you can get a hold of me - I know all the Painters! A good Looking Helmet is worth 2 seconds a lap! lol

Here is part of my Collection

BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote