Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #71
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
This thread makes me glad I live in the United States of America, and not Virginia!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #72
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
A radar detector can help you avoid 2 other types of tickets. Here in Florida, we'll have construction zones that sometimes post radar speed warning stands. What I mean by this are those trailer-able setops that post a reduced speed and give your car's speed as an advisory to slow down. A radar detector can pick up such an equipped construction zone and give you plenty of time to slow down before an "enhanced fine" zone.

Florida also has a mandatory "move over" law where if a Leo has someone pulled over on the shoulder or in an emergency lane, traffic must move a lane over to provide a buffer.(Or drop your speed AT LEAST 20 miles below the posted speed limit if you can't move over.). Many cops will still have their passive radar still on as they are administering a "safety advisement" /revenue enhancement. Again, a radar detector can pick up on this way ahead of time and give you more opportunity to move over a lane or slow the hell down.
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #73
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
It's just nice to know where the cops are located. No one is perfect.... At least if you know a cop is around, you are less likely to forget to use a turn signal or accidentally drift over the limit. Especially if you aren't familiar with the area.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #74
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
From what I've read and other VA residents have stated, they will confiscate your detector if it is anywhere within the driver's reach - even if unplugged and in a box.

The best to place to put it is in your trunk when you're driving in VA. VA and Wash. DC are the only two jurisdictions in the CONUS (in addtion to any military post) that don't permit radar detectors or jammers.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #75
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
LOL, sound like excuses from drivers with bad habits that don't pay attention when they drive. They main reason for a radar detector is so you can speed. It always has been that since the first ones came on the market. Anyone that says they don't use it for that is not fooling anyone.
Yeah I speed, but I try to be resonable and not crazy fast, I also pay attention to what is around me and what other cars are doing around me. I am never the fastest car on the road( unless everyone else is going below the speed limit for no reason), I never weave in and out of traffic to bring attention to my driving, I pay attention to construction areas and their speed limits, if I see a cop or other emergency vehicle on the side of the road with their emergency lights on I will get in the other lane and if I cannot I reduce my speed as I pass. It's all about being aware as you drive.
By the way I have not owned a radar detector since the late 70's and have not been stopped since then either.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 04-15-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #76
zissophiss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
LOL, sound like excuses from drivers with bad habits that don't pay attention when they drive. They main reason for a radar detector is so you can speed. It always has been that since the first ones came on the market. Anyone that says they don't use it for that is not fooling anyone.
Yeah I speed, but I also pay attention to what is around me and what other cars are doing around me. I am never the fastest car on the road, I never weave in and out of traffic to bring attention to my driving, I pay attention to construction areas and their speed limits, if I see a cop or other emergency vehicle on the side of the road with their emergency lights on I will get in the other lane and if I cannot I reduce my speed as I pass. It's all about being aware as you drive.
By the way I have not owned a radar detector since the late 70's and have not been stopped since then either.
I definitely speed. I didn't buy a Camaro to drive like my grandmother. I would just rather know where the cops are so I can make sure that I am well within the limits. Getting pulled over or not really just comes down to luck. I have been really lucky over the last 5 years or so but at some point your luck runs out.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

zissophiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #77

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Radar enforcement in conjunction with aircraft can be very effective. Maybe a radar detector could prevent this from happening...

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #78
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Canada takes your detector. Gives you a $500 fine. Takes the detector puts it in front of your steering tire and has you drive over it then back over.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #79
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
I definitely speed. I didn't buy a Camaro to drive like my grandmother. I would just rather know where the cops are so I can make sure that I am well within the limits. Getting pulled over or not really just comes down to luck. I have been really lucky over the last 5 years or so but at some point your luck runs out.
Not talking about those that admit they bought it to save them because they speed on purpose. Just those that are using lame excuses for using one.
I don't believe its luck, its poor decisions made at the wrong time. Drive smart and you take luck out of it.... Been doing it for 40 years.... I must be very lucky then...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #80
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Canada takes your detector. Gives you a $500 fine. Takes the detector puts it in front of your steering tire and has you drive over it then back over.
-1 for Canada
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #81
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Not talking about those that admit they bought it to save them because they speed on purpose. Just those that are using lame excuses for using one.
I don't believe its luck, its poor decisions made at the wrong time. Drive smart and you take luck out of it.... Been doing it for 40 years.... I must be very lucky then...
Either you're just lucky or maybe you're just perfect. Probably the latter.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #82
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Either you're just lucky or maybe you're just perfect. Probably the latter.
Not perfect, I just try my best to minimize my misteaks.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #83
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I think California is probably one of the worst spots to own a radar detector.... with that said, when I got stopped for speeding and the cop cited me for tinted windows only, he noticed I had a radar detector (wasn't plugged in)... He just looked at me, I just grinned back. He let me go after that, lol.

I guess it depends on whether the cop is having a bad day or not, a lot of times...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
radar detectors are legal in california. radar jammers are illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Really? Never really bothered to check, lol

I always thought that if they were illegal anywhere in the states, it would be in California... who da thunkit
Radar detectors are legal, but having one on your windshield is illegal.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #84
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Funny story. VA cops sit just across the state line so you can't pull into the rest area and remove your detector. They caught my son that way several years ago. I had a van conversion that had a trailer brake controller mounted above the inside rear view mirror. It did look like a radar detector so I got pulled over. The cop told me that detectors were illegal in VA. I told him I didn't have a detector. He said yes you do I see it on your windshield. I said that is a trailer brake controller. He didn't believe me. I had to get out of the driver's seat, go in the back and get out the User's manual for the brake controller and invite him in to see that the thing hanging on my windshield was indeed the same thing as in the manual for the brake controller. He finally admitted that it was not a radar detector and let me go. Did he apologize? Of course not. Was he courteous? No.. In fact, rather than being embarassed about his error, he was visibly upset because I had proved him wrong. I made a few parting remarks as he left the van, but he ignored them. I have had many good laughs about that instance over the years.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote