Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 02-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #29
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
The GTR is an amazing piece of technology. But I'll take the vette all day long. Preferably the C6 Z06 though. If I'm tracking a car then I wanna know that the time i put down has to do with my skill as a driver not the car's.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #30
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Not a fair fight. Piss poor match up. The Vette is way cheaper and RWD. The Nissan cost far more and is AWD. Two cars for to very different segments. The Nissan has a log cart ride....something that I have not heard about the C7 Vette. Take the Vette, add about $5,000 worth of mods and have a rematch. Buy a truck of your choice with what is left over vs the price of that Nissan. Just saying.....
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #31
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
What may have also hindered the Z06, but does not affect the turbo Nismo, was this test in WS had a DA of at least 2600. That's also HP robbing for any supercharged car.

Randy's post test comments were strange, almost abnormal. He said the Z felt squirrelly... different from other feedbacks although at other tracks with a different Z. Excuses aside, 1.27 is extremely fast at Big Willow but I thought it should have been a sub-1.25 car there. Oh well, till the next test at a different course... Laguna Seca soon!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #32
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik427 View Post
Not a fair fight. Piss poor match up. The Vette is way cheaper and RWD. The Nissan cost far more and is AWD. Two cars for to very different segments. The Nissan has a log cart ride....something that I have not heard about the C7 Vette. Take the Vette, add about $5,000 worth of mods and have a rematch. Buy a truck of your choice with what is left over vs the price of that Nissan. Just saying.....
The only thing unfair is the price gap. The fact that it is TT V6 AWD vs. Blown V8 RWD shouldn't even be an argument about it being "unfair." The whole point is to compare things. If you want a "fair fight" do they need the same engine, power, suspension, chassis, etc? I'm OK comparing any car to each other, so long as they're similar price range.

With that being said, I'm kind of surprised about the Z06's performance. Still fast, don't get me wrong.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #33
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Both are amazing vehicles. I would happily take either one.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #34
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I'm not surprised at all. Nissan said they were going big with this one and it looks like they did. A 1:27 lap is fast...a 1:25 lap is blistering.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #35
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
I read somebody else say this and I completely agree.

This isn't as much a z06 fail as it is a nismo triumph. The NISMO GTR is just insane.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #36
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
The only thing unfair is the price gap. The fact that it is TT V6 AWD vs. Blown V8 RWD shouldn't even be an argument about it being "unfair." The whole point is to compare things. If you want a "fair fight" do they need the same engine, power, suspension, chassis, etc? I'm OK comparing any car to each other, so long as they're similar price range.

With that being said, I'm kind of surprised about the Z06's performance. Still fast, don't get me wrong.
AWD gives a huge advantage. Twice the traction and being able to push and pull through the turns......Most racing series classify them in different classes......and yes, the price speaks volumes about how much money that was invested into each car. The Nissan won but at twice the price.
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #37
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
AWD gives a huge advantage. Twice the traction and being able to push and pull through the turns......Most racing series classify them in different classes......and yes, the price speaks volumes about how much money that was invested into each car. The Nissan won but at twice the price.
I'm well aware of the advantage of AWD on a track. The point I'm making is that you cannot scream foul when the GT-R has something that the Corvette doesn't. That's like saying you cannot compare the previous gen. Mustang to the 5th gen Camaro because it doesn't have IRS. That's the point of reviews, to see what helps and what is better.

Heck the Corvette is lighter, has a V8 and more power, better aero.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #38
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Two things really stood out to me when I read this article.

1 was the fact that the Z06 was slow in acceleration. 124mph trap speed the Z06 posted in 1\4 mile acceleration is what a C6 Z06 does. I thought it could be horrible DA until I saw that the GTR trapped 126!!!! I suspect that the Z06 only gives you those 650 horses until certain temps are reached and then your running on about 550. There is no other way to explain the math of a 650HP car that weighs 3500lbs trap that slow when the much heavier GTR with 600HP trapped 2mph faster on the same day and track. The Z06 should have out accelerated the GTR on the straights and in acceleration considering the Power/weight ratio.

The 2nd thing is why is a Nismo GTR being tested against the Z06? Why would they pick the much more expensive model to test? There is a track model GTR that cost $115k that would have been a better comparison and even that car cost $10k over the Z06/Z07.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #39
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Great article and videos!!!

Amazing machines. I just don't get why we can't get non blown (supercharger or turbo) supercars. It's a personal preference, just like naturally aspirated.

AWD is going to win vs RWD most times, but at the price difference, prefer the Vette!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #40
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
The Corvette also has less weight, more power, more downforce, more grip and better brakes. With the Z07 stage 3 aero, it went through turns faster but gave up speed on the straights. With the aero taken off, they gained speed on the straights but lost grip through the turns.

Also, the GTR NISMO is not twice as much. The Z06 as tested was over $100k. Not to mention, the Corvette is supposed to be a bargain super car.

The Z06 got beat fair and square. We shouldn't be making excuses and I sure as hell hope GM isn't.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #41
SR71

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
I love both but if someone is handing me the keys to one, I pick the GTR every time. And wow, that's the first I've seen pictures of the R36...looks outstanding!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #42
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
In many reviews i've seen of RWD cars that go up against the GT-R, yes the GT-R performs great...but the drivers many times choose the RWD as the car that is more "fun to drive".

And what price diff are we talking about here 115K to 150K Z06 to GT-R.

well, I can't afford either so I guess it doesn't matter.

I have seen ZL1 to base GT-R comparison that gives ZL1 the "More Fun" to drive, and we are taking a $60K car to a 95K car.

I say GM is doing a great job of giving customers an awesome, more affordable machine compared to what its competition is, performance wise.

Oh, and then there is that awesome sound a V8 gives you over a V6...
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote