Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
H.Adams

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS - Victory Red
Shortening Dynatech LT Headers

Hello Guys,

I have installed in my car the Dynatech SuperMaxx LT Headers about 2 month ago...but among the beautiful sound...came my headache... the Dynatech LT Headers itīs about 1 inches or 1 1/2 ...lower than the frame...so it's hitting everywhere...i raised my car to the original height in my bc coilovers (this make me really sad that i raised the car) and it still scratching...and sometimes hitting in the speedbumps ( here in Brazil...they're without shape and planning...something like wierd mountains...) and i'm really concerned about damaging the block...or something like that...

So then i was thinking... why not cut the headers to make then just the same height as the frame? What do you guys think about that??

PS: 344RWHP and then i installed SLP 25% U/P, Dynatech LT Headers, Non-Catted Pipes... and only got 6RWHP... iīm at 350 now...and thats all i got.. (Yes i was logging and my mechanic was talking with TED all week and it is all that my car can give...that really make me sad...but letīs do more mods to make more power then ^^)

[IMG]http://imgur.com/MlQqgzb[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/2TEUYoS[/IMG]
H.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Not sure you'd ever get the headers cut exactly right to make up the difference. That'd be a crazy tough thing to pull off!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
Best news is you won't damage you block having them hit. The headers will get most of the damage, at worst could effect the cylinder head exhaust bolts or holes after long enough. Headers hanging too low is a common issue.

Anybody in their right mind would tell you cutting header height would be a crazy thing to even try, but I'm making my own tri-y headers at the moment & am crazy enough to offer a possible cutting method.

First of all, is this the headers you have ?http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...-715-74010.htm In stainless steel ? Couldn't see much from your pictures, but is there enough room for the header collectors to sit another inch or so higher & still have some floor clearance?

From the best I can see from the picture in the link, the tubes are pretty close to all the same angle running downward just before they angle rearward. The tubes would all need to be cut apart 2 to 5 inches above the lower bend. Rather than trying to cut off the needed amount & weld perfect butt joints in the tube, I'd have an exhaust shop expand the lower tubes just enough to have the upper portion tightly slip into them the whole shortening distance needed, test fit , then tig weld what can be reached of the seams. This method would allow some flexibility in fitting & not require that the entire headers be chopped up to reweld the lower portions.

Raising the lower portion of the headers would move the collectors forward about 1/8" to 1/2", but that's a small deal.

Only other idea I'd have is to make steel skid plates in front of the headers, not sure how hard or possible that would be though.

Getting what you want is possible here, just takes a bit of skill & work. No shame in wanting something a little better.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 01-23-2015 at 01:20 AM.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If its that big a deal.. Adjust your coilovers higher then factory height. and you can clear anything.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
JayV83

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS RS LS3
Im at factory height and also have dynatech lt headers. I have never hit them on anything...are you going offroad?! Lol. Cutting snd shortening them is a lot tougher then it sounds
JayV83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Skid plates maybe an option? 4x4 style...
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Bringing this thread back to life. I'm having the same issues with the dynatech headers. Car has a 1" drop. Scrapes every where. I have another Camaro ss also with a 1in drop but with kooks lt headers and no issues at all. Wondering what people have done with this issue
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #8
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
That's why Dynatech headers were never on my list. They do hang much lower than other headers out there. Not sure if the tubes are longer, or that huge collector on them, or both...but they do hang low.

Not sure there is much you can do about it. The only option would be to cut the tubes and weld it shorter. Which, as mentioned would be a hell of a task to pull off.

Sell them and go a different direction would probably be your best option.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
camarosspower

Man that sucks. I guess I'll have some dynatech headers forsale soon. I'm not raising my car
Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
csmith4153

Drives: 2011 1SS
I have Dynatech headers with the car lowered, I never had a issue of them hitting
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
i drag mine occasionally. Just have to be careful where I go. Luckily, I have a truck to take to places with ugly speed bumps, curbs, etc.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
camarosspower

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith4153 View Post
I have Dynatech headers with the car lowered, I never had a issue of them hitting
Seems like they all weren't made exactly the same. Mine hangs low quite a bit