Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Someone that knows natural gas plumbing

So I have been helping my father in law build an outdoor island with a built in BBQ and we just finished running the natural gas lines for it. Did an air pressure test from the line going to the house to the last solid pipe before the bendable pipe going into the BBQ and it help 15psi with no leak at all. Connected the bendable natural gas line to the BBQ and tested again and we have a 1/2 a psi per 15 min leak (only let it drop to 14 did not continue to see how low it will drop). Brand new hose brand BBQ all control knobs are off and checked for leaks on the hose could not find any... We're stumped.
FYI he is the brains and knows all the technical terms I'm just the Braun.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
how you check for less? i've used soapy water and spray entire line down. then just look for bubbles. if you've done that, see if the BBQ by trying to light it off like if you were going to start grilling.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
damn my english is not working today. meant leaks and try to fire up the Bbq as if you were going to grill with the gas off
Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Soapy water. Big bubbles=Big leak, Small bubbles take some time to develop to show small leak. 10 minutes will show anything. What connections are you using? May have cross threaded something. Split flares can be the cause also.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
richard200593

We did a quick check with soapy water was getting dark so we will do a more extensive one tomorrow but there's only two possible connections and we triple checked how tight those were. We turned one of the burners on on the grill and it definitely had a lot of pressure like it is supposed to. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the internal pressure regulator on the grill.
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Soapy water. Big bubbles=Big leak, Small bubbles take some time to develop to show small leak. 10 minutes will show anything. What connections are you using? May have cross threaded something. Split flares can be the cause also.

Not sure what you mean by type of connections. I know it's metal has pipe and the flex hose is metal with plastic coating. We actually had originally tested the whole line, saw it had dropped disconnected flex pipe and BBQ and tested again with no pressure drop than re-connected the flex hose with the goop (I know that's not even close to it's real term) and it threaded pretty easily so I don't imagine it's cross threaded but tomorrow will definitely double check. Appreciate all the advice folks
*Audio:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Cuejo

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs
The gas valves on the BBQ will not hold up to 15psi
Gas pressure is 7" water column, that's less than 1/2 psi
Hook the gas up and soap test for leaks.
Hopefully you didn't blow the regulator on the BBQ.
Gas should be left for professionals....
Cuejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
richard200593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuejo View Post
The gas valves on the BBQ will not hold up to 15psi
Gas pressure is 7" water column, that's less than 1/2 psi
Hook the gas up and soap test for leaks.
Hopefully you didn't blow the regulator on the BBQ.
Gas should be left for professionals....
I appreciate the help but I disagree that gas needs to be left to the professionals. We are not getting anywhere near the existing gas line until we have quadrupole tested everything after that to make sure we have zero leaks and zero issues than will have an inspector come take a look before the final connection is made.
Did the soap and water test and found zero leaks and tested the line at 2 psi and have had no leak in 45 mins. Think we're in great shape next is call the pro to take a look and give us the go!
*Audio:
Old 09-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Cuejo

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
I appreciate the help but I disagree that gas needs to be left to the professionals. We are not getting anywhere near the existing gas line until we have quadrupole tested everything after that to make sure we have zero leaks and zero issues than will have an inspector come take a look before the final connection is made.

Did the soap and water test and found zero leaks and tested the line at 2 psi and have had no leak in 45 mins. Think we're in great shape next is call the pro to take a look and give us the go!

I'm glad you don't seem to have a leak.
However, if you're house blows up because you worked on your gas line without the proper training, your insurance company as well as all your neighbors that had houses that also blew up, will all disagree that homeowners should be working on gas lines.
Cuejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
I totally agree the someone of a good knowledge of piping can do gas lines. You need a shut off right at the grill regulator. I have seen few grills that can 100% hole up to any gas pressure over time. It is in every manual that I have seen to turn off the gas after finished with the grill.