Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #43
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
What I did was go to the best reviewed shop. I also talked to my service advisor, the dealership and asked forum members who they recommend. I didnt go with the insurance recommended shops because I wanted the best workmanship possible. The insurance companies have deals with their network so the cheapest shop wins. With a good shop you would never know it's been in an accident. This is a big job and the car is your pride and joy. Go to the most prestigious and most reputable shop in your city.
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #44
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisisMusick View Post
Thanks for all the responses and support everyone.

When I'm saying the air bags deployed for no reason, I'm just mean I was nowhere near the speed of risking my head hitting the wheel at the speed I was going, plus I've learned from this forum that once they deploy, your car is through.

One question that I had for those who've been in similar accidents:
When repaired, is the car as good as new? Will it ever be the same? I went to a shop that State Farm recommended, so I hope they'll do a great job... But I'm scared of the long term effects.

I'll find out if it's totaled by tomorrow, so I'll post then.
If we guessed right is there some sort of prizes awarded if it's not totaled? I'm wanting a chrome and white filled SS badge, to copy Wayne Watson , to stick on the bland empty spot of the dash panel.

Anyway, hope all works out to your satisfaction.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 AM   #45
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Glad you're okay.

I wish we had a better look at the side of the car - it doesn't look like it even got into the fenders? How fast were you going at impact?

Be sure to let us know.

I'd take it to the best shop, not necessarily State Farms shop...just sayin'.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #46
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Thumbs up

Glad to hear your ok. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #47
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Not totaled...
Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #48
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
There are other considerations when a insurance company decides to total a vehicle besides the total cost of repair.

My wife pulled out in front of another car while driving our 2013 Mazda CX5 and was t-boned. The other vehicle hit our car in the front right tire area and even though it was a fairly low speed wreck, there was plenty of damage all along the right side of the Mazda. Both the front and rear right side ceiling air bags and the air bag on the front passenger seat deployed. The total repair cost was a little over $12K while the car was worth a little over $23K. Initially they decided to fix it and the repair shop ordered the required parts, but before they could get started the insurance company got a pretty high bid for the vehicle and decided to total it instead of repairing it. Apparently someone was willing to pay enough for the vehicle that they were willing to total the car even though repair costs were a little over 50 percent of the car's value.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #49
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:

When I'm saying the air bags deployed for no reason, I'm just mean I was nowhere near the speed of risking my head hitting the wheel at the speed I was going, plus I've learned from this forum that once they deploy, your car is through.

When repaired, is the car as good as new? Will it ever be the same? I went to a shop that State Farm recommended, so I hope they'll do a great job... But I'm scared of the long term effects.

I took mine to Ford and let their Bodyshop do the work. I think we had to have the headlight replaced due to water leaking in, but otherwise it never had a problem. That particular Bodyshop run by Ford offers a lifetime guarantee so it was a no questions asked kind of thing when I brought it in for the headlight a year later.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #50
Rocki

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS RRM
Glad you're ok, so sorry about your car!
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #51
RJT RS

Drives: 11 RJT 2LT/RS
Exclamation This

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
What I did was go to the best reviewed shop. I also talked to my service advisor, the dealership and asked forum members who they recommend. I didnt go with the insurance recommended shops because I wanted the best workmanship possible. The insurance companies have deals with their network so the cheapest shop wins. With a good shop you would never know it's been in an accident. This is a big job and the car is your pride and joy. Go to the most prestigious and most reputable shop in your city.
Don't learn the hard way. Go to a shop working for you, NOT one that works for the insurance co.
RJT RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #52
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT RS View Post
Don't learn the hard way. Go to a shop working for you, NOT one that works for the insurance co.
Agreed, mine is at the insurances shop for round three of paint right now. No one else in town will touch it now either unless I get a whole new nose and start over.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #53
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
No way that's totalled. Too new, high value car, and only one airbag deployed.

When they talk about Camaros being totalled when the airbags deploy they mean when all the airbags deploy. There is substantial interior damage when the side curtain and passenger airbags deploy.
Exactly. Engine didn't even take damage. Looks more like front end damage with an air bag deployed. Would take a lot more than that to total it.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #54
firedruish

Quote:

So I guess we will figure it out together...mine is no where near as new or as nice but my girl also ran into a Ford truck...Two Mondays ago come monday.

Did all the research I could and the best shop in my area is a lo the number one referred by my state farm agent.

If all goes well I'll have mine back beginning of Sept...A full month in the shop
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #55
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
I rear ended someone today.. it was a ford truck. He walked away fine... my Camaro didn't end up so hot.

I walked away fine, and my steering wheel airbag deployed for no reason. But my heart's broken for my 1 year old car. The engine still works, or it started at least, but I didn't drive it.

Is it totaled?

Have you looked at your own pictures? I think that if you do, you will find the reason for your air bag deployment. You were obviously is some sort of accident.

And I vote no on the totaled part.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #56
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
Good rule of thumb - "If it can't buff out, it's totaled"

hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote