Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I got my 2012 1LS in March of 2012 brand new. I only got the V6 because my previous car ('01 T/A WS6) was recently totaled and I couldn't afford the V8 with what I got from insurance.

I knew I wanted the SS so I didn't put a penny into modding the LS (aside from tint). I even passed on LT rims for $300 local pickup cause I knew it would be a waste.

IMO if you even have a doubt of keeping your car and wanting to trade up modding is just wasting money that could be going towards a down-payment.

And to answer your question... YES YES YES it is totally worth it.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
Dennis Northwest

Drives: 16 1SS A8 NPP
Trade up to the v8 if you have little to no negative equity in your old car. I did and it was so worth it.

Some will say to wait for the 6th gen to come out but you also have to consider that there are good rebates on the current model and the dealers are willing to negotiate on price. This won't be the case when the 6th gen first comes out. I would also expect to see a slight increase in MSRP on the 6th gen cars. I wouldn't wait for the 6th gen unless you are willing to pay $4,000 more for one.
Dennis Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
I frequently trade cars and after starting with a 4-cylinder bronco, then moving to V6, and now to my V8 it all comes down to the speed. You can mod a lot of cars to your hearts desire but you can only get so much performance and speed. I personally would get the 5th gen SS and wait to get a Gen 6.
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
DJ A

Drives: Cammed 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
What everyone else says. For me personally, I've always *only* wanted a V8, and was willing to wait for it, but that was just my personal preference-I was tempted by the V6 version more than once!
Same here. I held out for about a year and a half. I was sooo tempted on buying a V6 but I knew I wanted a V8 so I waited and boy was it worth it! OP I've driven my aunts V6 and test drove other V6's and I can tell you, you will not regret getting a V8 even with all the mods you've done to your car. One word of advice I would give is to wait until GM reveals the 6th gen that way if you don't like it, you can still buy a 5th gen or vice versa.
DJ A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
SuthrnSS

Drives: 17' Silverado, 09’ C6
Oops, nevermind..
SuthrnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
If I were you I'd at least wait to see the final gen 6 appearance so you don't shoot yourself in the foot for buying a 5th gen SS at that time.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #21
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Life is too short to settle for a V6 , the V8 is more fun .
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
IPS TT Kit. 575hp at the crank. enough said.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #23
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
For Muscle Cars:

More Power = Better

Always
Rocket Science...
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #24
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Bumping up to a SS is certainly worth while. I did the same thing - had a 1LT for 8 months and then upgraded to a 1SS - very happy with it. Consider though, a SS costs more to operate (high octane vs. regular gas, 8 qts of oil vs. 6, less mpgs w/ the SS, etc.). Depending on your mods, some will transfer to the SS but many will not - dealership will not compensate you for the mods, so you may want to go to a private sale instead.

If you can afford the difference, you won't regret getting a SS.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #25
Camaro310

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Fully loaded
I traded my 2LS for a 2SS, Never looked back, just more happy.
Camaro310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #26
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
I would wait until the 6th gen debuts in January. If it looks as awesome as the 5th gen, I would wait and it get. It should be faster, handle better, overall improved since it is a brand-new vehicle designed 5-7 years after the 5th gen.

If you don't like the 6th gen, find a 2015 brand new for cheap. I assume there will be big discounts on them to clear the way for the 6th gens.

This is actually my current plan, although it changes frequently. Either 2015 1LE or wait for 6th gen 1LE.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #27
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
Personally, I'd wait for the new V8 models: 6th Gen, Challengers, or '15 Mustangs before pulling the trigger.
+1
Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #28
ShadowPuppet
REDYRNOT

Drives: "Fawkes" - 2016 GRT 2SS Convertible
Woah! Thanks everyone for the responses! Unfortunately for me the only reason I want one is because I've seen peoples' V8s and they're absolutely jaw-dropping... I've scheduled a test drive on a 2SS model when I get back home (currently out west on vacation) so we'll see how it goes.

I've had my V6 for a year and a half now as I mentioned in the first post and I don't want to seem like a spoiled brat for wanting to upgrade but it seems like a lot of you have and haven't regretted it. I'm 21 so I don't really have any real expenses right now other than car and my phone bill lol so I'm getting a lot of "Just do it, you're young" responses from some of my friends... Just GAH such a hard decision.

I guess we'll see what happens when I test drive the SS... if it's anything like when I bought my V6 second hand, it'll be a no brainer to upgrade or not. Hopefully the dealership will let me push 'er up the highway or something lmao.

To be honest, I hadn't even seen the Gen 6 concepts until just now (mainly I guess because I haven't seen the new transformers film yet) and holy crap is it gorgeous... Thanks for everyone's input I have to price out a 2SS and see what the cost of operation would be (gas, insurance, etc)... like insurance is already ridiculously pricey for me as a <25 year old adult so hopefully an SS model doesn't hike it too much.

ShadowPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote