Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 05-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
Launch Mode question

Anybody ever have this happen?

'12 2SS M6. Launch mode engaged. Wheels straight, 1st gear, clutch to the floor, accelerator to the floor, peaks at 5k rpm. Release clutch, seems to feather in and out. Put my foot back on the clutch pedal to discover it seems to be stuck down. Let off the gas and the clutch comes back up with my foot. LOTS of burned clutch smell. Seems to work normally. Nothing catching on the floor mat. Haven't tried Launch Mode again until I get more info.

This is only the 2nd or 3rd time I've tried Launch Mode.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Get a L99. Start engine with left foot on brake. Shift into "M". Simultaneously, remove left foot from brake - and stomp right foot on gas pedal. Problem solved.

Sorry... couldn't help myself.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
I wouldn't use launch control period. Too many horror stories from wheel hop and broken axles
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
I don't ever use launch control, just get 2k rpm and drop clutch n pedal to the metal but with good tires cause then it just turns into a wheel spin parade lol
H/C + Bolt-ons + Tune •485RWHP/435RWTQ•
Full BMR Stage 2&3 Suspension
3.91 1LE Gear Diff Swap
MGW Short Throw Shifter
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
RedRaven

So, one smartass answer and two non-answers. Moved an hour after posting and nothing since. Thanks. Glad I could depend on my brothers and sisters.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
BigRed

Drives: SS RS SIM
It's not a issue with launch mode, It's strictly a clutch issue. There are lots of threads talking about the issue in the transmission section. Adding a separate clutch fluid reservoir and keeping clean fluid in it seems to do the trick for most. Other have chosen to change master cylinders to the IdealG modified one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...pedal+sticking
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
BigRed

Drives: SS RS SIM
I never used launch control but I did have the clutch pedal stick to the floor a couple times with my stock clutch. I added the separate reservoir and that seemed to take care of the issue except for once when I let my fluid get dirty. I now have a Mantic 9000 clutch and it has not stuck to the floor either.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven View Post
So, one smartass answer and two non-answers. Moved an hour after posting and nothing since. Thanks. Glad I could depend on my brothers and sisters.
Chill out man no need to be a baby....if you arent getting the answer you are wanting you can hit search and look through the forum for it.

1. Dont use launch control. Its stupid and does more damage than good if you are actually trying to launch your car the right way. I assume you arent a racer and are just doing this for fun or show off purposes which is fine but you are at risk for killing your clutch or snapping an axle.

2. This issue is more than common and has been for years on LSX cars.

If you have been driving for more than a few miles or so you can pretty much assume the brake/clutch fluid is at boiling temp. The lines run around the tranny which is the cause. When the fluid is that hot it gets gummy congeals and doesnt work as well. Many people add a seperate resevoir and higher DOT level fluid which can help but isnt a permanent fix. I saw on another members car where the fluid was so hot through the added line that the paint the hose was touching in the eingine comparment was bubbling up.

You can also get a relocation kit for the lines which is highly recommended if you really plan on launching a lot and possibly racing the car.

Take the time to look all over the forums though. This is one of the most common issues with the 6M cars since before the 5th Gen Camaro came out. GM for some reason chooses to overlook it year after year.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
RedRaven

Thanks ytown. I did search and came up with a bunch of hay to search through, only to find no needle.
Not racing. Only happened with launch mode, and just the once. I beat it pretty badly when the conditions are right. Never even a slip until this. And I only used it to show a friend who does paintless dent repair, and had just taken care of a 1 1/2 inch dent in my door from a tree limb that fell in a storm. Normally I shift by sound. Just scared the hell outta me and took a week's life out of the clutch.

Tags
clutch, clutch problems, launch control