Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Old school floor model radio build project Mk.1

Disclaimer: I am not a carpenter, I just like to dabble. I thought I'd share this as I plan to redo it in the future, and I'd like to do it better next time. I'd love some constructive criticism... Hopefully I didn't misspell anything.

This was a weird little project I tackled while I was finishing up graduate school. Whenever I was stressed out from projects and papers (my thesis turned my hair gray) I liked to have a little side project. Just something for me to focus my creativity on while I recharged myself for more writing. Usually this meant mods for the Camaro, but for the thesis I needed a bigger high.

So, I decided I was going to refurbish a floor model radio. But after looking at the prices online I decided that a "from scratch" project might be more financially sound. So I kinda half-assed a blueprint and ordered a home-theater system from Pioneer and a bluetooth audio receiver.

I didn't want to gut the speaker boxes as they were supposedly designed to create "a beautiful sound experience" or some bs like that. So, I just made sure that the speakers had a very tight fitment. Aside from that I used braces with stick foam on one side to hold the speakers firmly in place. I realized very early on that this thing was going to weight 5000 pounds. I do not look forward to trying to move this thing at my next promotion.
Name:  IMG_0506.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  111.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0507.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  118.2 KB

I then added the sides and test fitted the face. I still haven't nailed down the top yet becuase I want to do a few more things with my wiring before I seal the deal. So that's why the top is kinda just sitting there not fully flush.
Name:  IMG_0511.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  120.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  132.2 KB

With the face all set for mounting I added in the cloth front and LED's. I also added a magnetically latched door that allowed access to the A/V reciever.
Name:  IMG_0541.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  135.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0554.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  120.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0556.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  117.9 KB

The LED's put out a really nice fire light look.

Name:  IMG_0557.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  119.3 KB

The sound system puts out a really crisp sound. And the bass doesn't rattle anything at all. So far my favorite thing about this thing is that fact that I can completely control it with my iPod via bluetooth. Somebody with actual carpentry skills would probably cringe at this beast, but, well, it served its purpose. And my thesis was accepted!!

Well there ya have it folks. Any of y'all into carpentry?

Last edited by 6bangerBOOM; 06-02-2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Cooler sounding thread title.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
phntmss

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
looks good man!