Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Huero30
Huero30

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS/RS
Convertible Lemon!!! HELP!!

Okay guys, so I've been having tons of problems with my convertible top on my camaro. I know very little bit about the lemon law, besides what I've read in the past few minutes. So i bought my car back in July of 2012. It was used with 16,000 miles.I don't know exact dates but here goes my problems.

Excessive squeaking because of the last bow, took it in 3 times for that. (total of 1 week at dealer)

Water filling my car with puddles in my backseat (not exaggerating, puddles!). Now my car smells like mold and humid type feel and smell. took it in 2 times for water bag replacements. (total of 2 weeks at dealer)

I took it in last august to get my top replaced because of wear marks and pinching in my top. (total 2 weeks at dealer)

Just took it in this past weekend for water damage again coming into my car (very excessive, puddles again). got it back on tuesday, and was back in on wednesday because my top wasn't aligned right. Left it yesterday and just got a call stating that my top would be replaced again and approximately 2 weeks again...

WHAT TO DO!!??? is this a case where i can get a buyback or lemon law?
Huero30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
..take it to a different dealer? i'd have them replace the whole top.. and replace anything that had water damage.

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
GO TO THE VERT Section. LOTS OF HELP : )
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
DCPX

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huero30 View Post
Okay guys, so I've been having tons of problems with my convertible top on my camaro. I know very little bit about the lemon law, besides what I've read in the past few minutes. So i bought my car back in July of 2012. It was used with 16,000 miles.I don't know exact dates but here goes my problems.

Excessive squeaking because of the last bow, took it in 3 times for that. (total of 1 week at dealer)

Water filling my car with puddles in my backseat (not exaggerating, puddles!). Now my car smells like mold and humid type feel and smell. took it in 2 times for water bag replacements. (total of 2 weeks at dealer)

I took it in last august to get my top replaced because of wear marks and pinching in my top. (total 2 weeks at dealer)

Just took it in this past weekend for water damage again coming into my car (very excessive, puddles again). got it back on tuesday, and was back in on wednesday because my top wasn't aligned right. Left it yesterday and just got a call stating that my top would be replaced again and approximately 2 weeks again...

WHAT TO DO!!??? is this a case where i can get a buyback or lemon law?

I live in the Inland Empire as well. I would contact attorney Jeff Kane and get some advice. He was able to get Ford to buy my Ford Fiesta back. It didn't cost me any money.

Here is his website.
http://ca-lemonlaw.com/
DCPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Have they replaced the frame along with the top material? You can also request a GM factory Engineer to come in and do the work on your car. Also insist they replace the carpeting, and anything else damaged by water. Have you opened a case yet with GM?
Lemon laws are different in different states, but I think yours would probably qulaify. Mention it that you are considering persuing that or a buyback.
Good luck.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
each state has different lemon law specifics. but generally, I think you've owned your car too long to qualify. also it usually applies to new cars. but again, each state is different you need to google it and read it.

it's very difficult to have you car part of GM buyback. And even if they do, they just pay you blue book value... you won't be getting all your money back or a new car.

your best bet is to keep fighting with the dealer. If that's not working, escalate and talk to the area manager. If you have leaks in your car, I think they'll agree to fix it.

I heard the 2014's have better tops. See if they can upgrade to the '14 design
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
..take it to a different dealer? i'd have them replace the whole top.. and replace anything that had water damage.
+1 - You might just have a grapy dealer on your hands.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Stop over in this group. We all have had problems with our verts. Some got fixed, some got Lemon Lawed, some buybacks, and some just dumped their cars.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Huero30
Huero30

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS/RS
okay so they were supposed to replace my top again right? not so fast. My dealer says to have an upholstery shop look at it instead of replacing the whole top. I have a meeting with the manager tomorrow to see what is going to happen.
Huero30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huero30 View Post
okay so they were supposed to replace my top again right? not so fast. My dealer says to have an upholstery shop look at it instead of replacing the whole top. I have a meeting with the manager tomorrow to see what is going to happen.
Has GM gotten involved yet or are you just dealing with your dealers service department! It may be time to escalate it up the corporate ladder. Oh and make sure you document everything, get a folder and put copies of everything in it. Also after every visit document the visit in writing on what you were told and by who.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Camaro ragtops have a long history of problems. Many were bought back by GM.
Check the endless horror stories in the convertible section. It will give you the willies.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
GO TO THE VERT Section. LOTS OF HELP : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Have they replaced the frame along with the top material? You can also request a GM factory Engineer to come in and do the work on your car. Also insist they replace the carpeting, and anything else damaged by water. Have you opened a case yet with GM?
Lemon laws are different in different states, but I think yours would probably qulaify. Mention it that you are considering persuing that or a buyback.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Stop over in this group. We all have had problems with our verts. Some got fixed, some got Lemon Lawed, some buybacks, and some just dumped their cars.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Has GM gotten involved yet or are you just dealing with your dealers service department! It may be time to escalate it up the corporate ladder. Oh and make sure you document everything, get a folder and put copies of everything in it. Also after every visit document the visit in writing on what you were told and by who.
These guys all know what they're talking about as they've been through it.

DEFINITELY:

1. Post over in the Convertible Forum as there's a wealth of info on the various top issues and how to pursue the most appropriate path to getting the issue(s) resolved properly.

2. The Facebook group is also very informative and supportive.

3. Your 'vert is hopefully still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty (if you haven't surpassed 36k miles). The 1st 2011 convertibles weren't delivered / sold until March, 2011. The BTB warranty is transferable, even if you purchased your 'vert used.

Any GM dealer will be able to check when your vehicle's warranty went into effect (through the VIN). I'd then suggest hightailing it to your GM dealer and drop the car off for repair and follow the suggestions and advice offered by our fellow forum members I've quoted.

Please keep us posted on the Convertible forum http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I have replaced my 5th bow on my top my self. So I have had it all apart. Your dealer is not getting the drains installed correctly on the water bag. That is why you have water on the floor. The drains snap into a hole on each side on the front of the water bag and two in the back.. They are very hard to get snapped in properly. If they have no experience with doing the top repairs it is very easy to not get them installed properly. You can actually feel In the front side of the water bag on each side and check if the are snapped in correctly but if you don't know what to look for you may miss it. Find a dealer with some top repair experience and you should be good to go.
Here is my thread on the 5th bow.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308299
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
holanxiaoq

Drives: audi
I think you've owned your car too long to qualify.
holanxiaoq is offline   Reply With Quote