Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #323
suzook

Drives: camaro
Just did this mod....definitely helped with the system sounding better. My opinion is the center is eq'd wrong...its way to boosted in the midrange, and makes the system sound tinny,even with the mids turned all the way down on the eq. Im thinking of using a capicitor to cut the midrange by 10db or more...just have to figure out what kind is needed.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #324
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #325
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I disconnected mine yesterday and there is a difference. I think the quality is about the same, but the stereo imaging is a bit better. Doe anyone have any suggestions on changes in tone setting to enhance this? I am finding I am running about +2 in volume vs the center being hooked up...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #326
tex-grizz

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS w/RS package
I too just did this three minute mod to my beast this morning. I am from the old school days of db competitions and clarity tests etc. I have had a problem with my music sounding distorted from day one. This cleared the mids and highs up very nicely. In fact I had to turn down the highs a lil bit and it sounds much better. Now I just need to add a sub and this thing will be slamming.
tex-grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #327
BurnSlowly

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT (SIM)
I just got my Camaro a few days ago and this was the first "mod" I did. Taking out the cover from the center speaker was pretty easy, it just pops off. The instructions were clear and it's much better than cutting the wire.

Now for the review.. IMO it sounds way better without it. But I think it depends on your music source and what you listen to. I listen to majority of today's modern music which includes rap, pop, acoustic etc (what a normal teenager would listen to (; ). The sound staging and bass improved & was better in my ears. Without the center speaker I can set the volume up to 30+ without distortion. But this was only when it was connected via bluetooth with my iPhone. Pandora streaming was great but not better. FM radio wasn't the best. I think I'll stick to music on my iPhone and Pandora. I also sat in all the seats of the car with the doors closed to hear the sound staging. From there I adjusted the tone. +4, 0, 0. Then for the fade front I set it at -2, then 0 for the left/right. Sounds a lot better to me!
BurnSlowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #328
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Include me in the camp of disconnected it. I much prefer the stereo separation that the center speaker was walking over.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #329
darkrhett

Drives: 2011 blk lt with gray rally
you are right just disconnecting it at the amp made it sound way way better!! thanks for the advice. If any of you are looking at a woofer box and think the JL Audio on is too much (I think it is). I just bought this one off ebay, it worked great, and I get to keep almost my whole trunk. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Sub-w...item3383337879

2010 ss
69' badges
darkrhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #330
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Really? I find it hard to believe that removing a speaker can make a stereo louder and better.... Does the power get diverged to the other speakers or something?

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #331
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
not louder - just better separation which gives you a bit of perceived volume....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #332
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Well I just tried this and decided to leave the center speaker connected. I left the radio on and did a back to back comparison for XM, FM and iPod. What I did find out is you can set the tone independently for each band in MyLink which I didn't know.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #333
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Well I just tried this and decided to leave the center speaker connected. I left the radio on and did a back to back comparison for XM, FM and iPod. What I did find out is you can set the tone independently for each band in MyLink which I didn't know.
Many radios are like that.

Not that it matters here, but the same applies to your TV.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #334
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Upgraded my door spreakers/tweeks and rears to Alpine RS's with a Kenwood Excelon amp few weeks back..........I might have to disconnect the middle one and see how it sounds. It's as simple as pop off the cover and disconnect right?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #335
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Upgraded my door spreakers/tweeks and rears to Alpine RS's with a Kenwood Excelon amp few weeks back..........I might have to disconnect the middle one and see how it sounds. It's as simple as pop off the cover and disconnect right?
Yes. Although depending on how you added your replacement amp, it may already be disconnected.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #336
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Yes. Although depending on how you added your replacement amp, it may already be disconnected.
Yeah was thinkin of that. I had the shop use some connectors I got from ******** so I'll have to check it out tomorrow and see whats up