Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #85
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Wow surprised this thread is still open lol!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #86
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Wow surprised this thread is still open lol!
Its only 10 in the morning, in due time. lol.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #87
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Yeah but this being the internet, its hard to keep that kind of discussion out. The smallest thing = major butthurt.
Haha very true. Although I will admit that this thread is my sole source of entertainment right now at work.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #88
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
For me it was a combination of things. I am in the Army and I do a lot of driving during the day. I also live 20 miles from my base so I have to commute everyday. So gas was a factor. Also I looked at the practicality of the v8. Sure I love the v8 and could easily afford one, but I rarely go to the track and do not street race. So when would I really get to enjoy that nice v8? Another thing was at the time I bought my v6 the zl1 was on the horizon. If I am going to spend the money I am going to go big. I still owe another 2 years on this camaro and once it is paid off I will be getting the zl1 as my garage queen and continue to use the v6 as my daily drive.

So I guess for me it did not come down to cost but more what do I really need. I get good fuel economy, the car still has a lot of hp to play with, and I can still have fun modding it. I refuse to fall into the "if it ain't a v8 it ain't shit" talk. End of the day you make the payments and you gotta drive the car. Do what is best for you.
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #89
LIVEVIL

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Much higher tech motor. It is the future, so why not start learning about it now before the tech makes it to the V8s.
What is this "much" higher techonology you speak of here? You mean to tell me the same shit that was in WW2 fighter planes is "high tech" compared to pushrod engines?

And you do know they have been making DOHC V8s for a few decades now right?

Regardless of the technology involved in the motor itself, the pushrod V8 is still the better performer, so you enjoy your "high" tech motor while looking at some night taillights of the other car in the race.
LIVEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #90
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEVIL View Post
What is this "much" higher techonology you speak of here? You mean to tell me the same shit that was in WW2 fighter planes is "high tech" compared to pushrod engines?

And you do know they have been making DOHC V8s for a few decades now right?

Regardless of the technology involved in the motor itself, the pushrod V8 is still the better performer, so you enjoy your "high" tech motor while looking at some night taillights of the other car in the race.
Have you torn one apart? Look at the crank and rods on a LLT/LFX and compare them to an LS motor. It's about the manufacturing tech as well as the combination of DOHC, VVT, DI, high CR... We started seeing this stuff in the LNF and it is making its way up to the more expensive motors. I would bet a lot of it made its way into the new generation V8s already; we know VVT and DI is in the LT1.

Again, the thread is about why you got a 5th Gen with a V6. If you don't have one, you can't answer the question.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #91
danothebard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Man I see a lot of V6 guys getting their panties in a bunch here, what's wrong? Is your manhood getting insulted?

Are you compensating for yours with a V8?
danothebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #92
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
I tried a 2LT/RS IOM vert I was far too immature for that car.

Oh and those of u cappin on Gretchen's v6 would get your feelings hurt lining up next to that car, seriously.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #93
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
I think when some of the earlier posters pointed out that it was pretty much always about the money, they weren't suggesting someone buying a V6 couldn't afford a V8. However, the larger engine wasn't, for them, worth the extra cost. I'd be very surprised if anyone would buy the V6 if there were no additional cost involved.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #94
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by danothebard View Post
Are you compensating for yours with a V8?
no, probably just passing along the smack he gets from vette owners. best way to make yourself feel better is to pick on someone smaller
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #95
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
I test drove both. Test drove three or four of both, in fact. The power difference was not significant enough to merit the extra cash up front, gas cost, insurance cost, etc. And I'm never going to go on a track. It's my daily driver.

I could have easily have afforded the V8 and in fact am seriously considering the new Corvette.

Also. I preferred the sleeker profile of the non-SS front end, as shown below.

I have the best V6 engine built in North America that makes for a fun, fun drive. I have never been in a driving situation where I've thought, 'Gee, I could have used a little more power there.'

I am not, I repeat.. I am not saying one is better than the other.

Last edited by crateish; 02-04-2013 at 10:10 AM.
crateish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #96
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
. I'd be very surprised if anyone would buy the V6 if there were no additional cost involved.

that's a pretty big if. kind of like saying I don't think anyone would buy the 2SS over the ZL1 if there were no additional cost involved.
for me, cost had very little to do with it. I'm at a point in my life where I can pretty much buy any production vehicle out there I want. not rich, just started early on everything to the point where at 41 my kids are pretty much grown (21, 20, and 18), only have 12 yrs left on the mortgage which (because I bought in '94) is probably 1/2 what a majority of people pay now. and to top it all off, because I listened to sound advice 20 yrs ago and made sure my wife and I put 5-10% of our pay into 401k's and such for 20 years we're well on our way to a very comfortable retirement. personally, I can just think of better ways to spend 10k than 80-90 more HP in car that has plenty to begin with. but that's just me. when I was 25 my biggest priority for 10k might very well have been those extra HP, but things change.

and no offense to the V8 guys, but that mail slot is pretty stupid looking.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #97
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
probably it's entire production life.
Which wasn't long.....

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #98
matthook

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
Sigh... everyone on here both V6 and V8 if you are arguing trying to decide which one is better, you're all losers. Give it up, its just a car. Why don't we all compare girlfriends/wives instead? That would be a much better competition.

Team LFX Thread Link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187109
Team LFX Group: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=306
matthook is offline   Reply With Quote