Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
I love the design of the Camaro's interior. Its simple, yet sophisticated. A perfect execution of design intent. That is, on the 2010-2011 models. The 2012's are cluttered with add-ons and revisions based on ill-advised customer feedback (in my opinion).

But it is true, the hard plastic of the IP, Center Console, and Door Panels make it feel a bit cheap. If I had my way, all of these surfaces would be leather-wrapped. Love the design, just want the quality of materials stepped up a notch.

But in order for GM to put out a 400hp+ car for under $40k... They gotta cut corners somewhere...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
mkfenwick

Drives: 2012 2LT RS 6M Camaro coupe in VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I personally like the interior.

Only issue I have is the tight lower dash angle with the windshield, and rear glass. Makes it hard to clean.
Doubt you will find a better interior glass cleaning tool than this.... Given the slope of the Camaro windows, this has become indispensable for me.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

m.k. fenwick
2012 2LT RS Coupe
=================================
mkfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyMike View Post
Sure, lots of plastic on the inside of our cars, but I think build quality is the best I've seen in any Chevy I've ever owned to date. If I could have GM improve on something from the interior it would be:
- Shifter bezel
- Seat belt strap
- Buttons on the steering wheel

Oh, and it is really a pain to clean the bottom portion of the rear glass (interior side) - not a quality issue, just design issue..

Overall though, my biggest pet peeves are squeaks, rattles, and wind noise which I have none of in this car!
Thank you for the feedback! We are happy that you love your Camaro. Please post some pictures! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I think the interior quality is great, I was noticing how it had less hard plastic than my mother in laws $90,000 Merceds Ml 550 , and her leather seat is coming apart at one of the seams on top near the headrest hole.

Very strange how people talk so bad about the camaro interior

Last edited by vroomapunk; 05-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
There is a big hump above the door sill plate. It is hard plastic and constantly getting scuffed. On every other car I have owned, this area was carpeted. Our carpet is pretty cheap too.

Too much hard plastic on door panels, console, etc. This stuff is going to be loaded with scratches in a few years. Even if it was covered with vinyl, that would be a big improvement.

All of the trim is just grey plastic. It should be chrome, stainless or aluminum. Even chrome plated plastic would be a big improvement. Even the Cruze I had as a loaner had more chrome trim on the interior.

Cheap sun visors, again the Cruze has better ones.

Also I wish the guages were on the dash instead of the console. This would allow better viewing of them, and allow for the gear shift and cupholders to be moved forward so the armrest and storage compartment could be bigger. My sunglasses case, garage door opener, and microfiber cloth are in there and the thing is full. No room for a couple CD's, mini dash duster, etc. that I used to keep in my other car. Glove box is big, but not as easily accessible. And I can have only a little more than my elbow on the armrest. I'm used to it extending further.
With that many complaints, it makes me wonder why you even bought it...

Search the forum for threads about the sunvisors. They HAD to be redesigned to their current form for safety reasons.

I like the interior - they were going for "retro" - hop in a '69 and tell me if it's fancier than that Cruze.
I think GM hit a home run with the Camaro, inside and out.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
My only complaint with the interior is how hard it is to get between the seat and the door sill to vacuum

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
the interior is what actually sold me over picking up the new faster 5.0. I was in the market for either as a second fun car to go with my challenger RT and the interior was the deciding factor over the 5.0.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
I believe that what the OP was refering to, is that the leather of the car inside, is not the best one, even if it's leather, you expect a better quality leather, this is not a high price item to optimize from GM. I have had german and american cars with leather inside, so I can see the difference. On the other hand, comparing it with other american cars, the Camaro is waaaaaaaay much more good looking!!! I guess this is why I bought mine!!!.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I have always like the interior. However, I just caught a glimpse in the ZL1 forum of a close-up of my link. It looked oddly "stuck on". Has anyone been up close and personal with the touch screen to comment? Or, better pics?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #24
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have been fine with my interior.

To me , interior fit and finish in an indicator of overall quality, and just how much a company cares about the little things.
Over all , I think GM learned a lot from the Japanese , both inside and out.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post

Gross. Chrome is tacky and played out. Plus it obnoxiously reflects sun all up in your face.

A Camaro is still a muscle car. They were built on the premise of speed and performance on a budget. I think the interior keeps with the tradition, while incorporating modern conveniences.

If you want something more comfortable and pleasant, get a BMW, Audi, Infiniti, or Mercedes.
Ridiculous to tell people to go buy something else if they are not 100% thrilled with every aspect of their Camaro.

I have several antique cars with chrome all over the interior that does not make them be unable to be driven. Chrome is one option, brushed stainless is a another. Besides, look at 1960's muscle cars. They all have chrome on the interior. If you get rid of chrome or stainless, you get cheap plastic. Not an improvement IMO.

Many auto reviews have stated some of the exact same things I have. So obviously everyone is not thrilled with every aspect of the Camaro even though overall reviews, like mine, are favorable.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Zero complaints with the interior. For a sports car it's pretty damn good! I knew I wasn't buying a luxury car or anything of that level so I am not expecting that level but I like the interior. Much better than some other cars I've been in.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
With that many complaints, it makes me wonder why you even bought it...

Search the forum for threads about the sunvisors. They HAD to be redesigned to their current form for safety reasons.

I like the interior - they were going for "retro" - hop in a '69 and tell me if it's fancier than that Cruze.
I think GM hit a home run with the Camaro, inside and out.

I bought it for looks/style, because I wanted a convertible, liked the performance, hate 4 doors, and refuse to buy anything foreign. I think those are valid enough reasons. Overall I like it, but some things could definitely be better. Like the fact that the interior is fine for a $25,000 car, but it is basically unchanged when you buy a higher end model and pay $40,000. Some upgrades would definitely be nice.

Haven't searched all the threads for sunvisors, but find it hard to believe that a cover over the mirror or making them a little bigger would make them unsafe.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Maybe those people came from German cars. I know that the Camaro is a few notches down compared to my 9 year old VW GTI.
I came from a 03 Cobra which was nothing special on the inside at all. However, the plastic in the Camaro scuffs if you look at it. Drives me insane! I've had the car 3 months and the driverside kick panel looks like crap from my shoes hitting it!

I don't mind the gauge bezels really....but the plastic sucks. Yes, I would DEFINITELY say the interior looks and is extremely cheap. The center air vents I can already see cracking in a few years as they are frail from the start.

The steering wheel and automatic shifter feel solid, but that's about it.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote