#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Honda service fail

I have been on this site for awhile and with the exception of a few people GM seems to be doing an excellent job of customer service. When things broke they got fixed when issues arose they got solved very timely and usually with little to no work or complaining from the customer. I am currently sitting in the service department of my Honda dealership getting a 4 wheel alignment done on my pilot. The car came from the dealer with a bad alignment, so bad in fact it ate the front tires to the metal in 15K miles and the rears are so chopped out its like driving a tractor down the road. I came in expecting this to be covered under warranty only to be told alignment is considered a general maintenance item and is not covered under warranty even though it came from their dealership that way. So it's costing me $1000 for new tires plus another $100 for an alignment. This import pile of crap has seriously cut into my Camaro fund. But the part I am most steamed about is the service guy treating me like an idiot kid. I was an auto mechanic for three years and grew up working on cars I know what I am talking about. And this sniffling idiot tells me it's not their problem that their car was defective when they sold it to me that it's general maintenance and either pay up or get outta his service bay. If this 100 bucks doesn't fix my problem I'm not sure what I will do but I won't post it here to avoid self incrimination.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Not to sound like an ass, but if you noticed something was wrong right away, why did you wait so long to address it?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Superman09
Account SNAFU

I didn't notice a problem till I went to rotate the tires at 15K. I originally thought it was a tire problem I didn't suspect the alignment was that bad on a 1 year old vehicle. Honda said the tires weren't their problem that it was just a defective tire. So I went and got new tires and noticed when the wheels were off that the inside edge of the rear tires was very chopped out. I took it back to Honda and they said 2 days and 50 bucks and they could tell me what was wrong and whether it was covered by warranty. I left and took it to a friends shop who checked the alignment for free and confirmed that that was the problem. He could fix it for around 400 cause he would need aftermarket parts. So I decided to give Honda one last shot. In total its been 5 months since I originally noticed a problem.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
when Honda told you the price, why didn't you bail and let your friend do the work? I wouldn't reward them with my hard earned money if they treated me like that.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
Come on guys, surely we do not shoot our wounded. This guy was just telling you his story. We have all been screwed at least once by a dealership.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
being screwed by a dealer seems like a common malpractice.

I just bought a civic as a DD, guess I won't be asking honda dealers for help either
Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by n116ebo View Post
Come on guys, surely we do not shoot our wounded. This guy was just telling you his story. We have all been screwed at least once by a dealership.
I'm not shooting the wounded, but I also think that if you are going to complain about something, you need to be as honest as possible.

His original post stated:

Quote:
The car came from the dealer with a bad alignment, so bad in fact it ate the front tires to the metal in 15K miles and the rears are so chopped out its like driving a tractor down the road. I came in expecting this to be covered under warranty only to be told alignment is considered a general maintenance item and is not covered under warranty even though it came from their dealership that way.
He recently stated:
Quote:
I didn't notice a problem till I went to rotate the tires at 15K.
Big difference between the two.

I'm not even trying to be an ass about it either. If you didn't notice the problem until 15k, that sucks that they won't help. However, the reason for my original post is that you mentioned it came from the dealer like that, and that's something you should have been able to notice right away.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
being screwed by a dealer seems like a common malpractice.

I just bought a civic as a DD, guess I won't be asking honda dealers for help either
It's not as common as you think, you just constantly hear about problems but you oh so rarely ever hear the positive comments. I've had 3 different dealerships take very good care of me, only to hear how someone else had a problem there.

As for your car, if you can do the work and do the work well, you should always do it yourself. Cheaper and it's a boost of pride to know you did it. Leave the heavy lifting or hard to do stuff for trained ppl..
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
So how did Honda fail, by not giving away free tires?
By yeah it sucks dropping $1000 on a newer car.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
That sux. I doubt that any dealer would have treated your situation any differently though. Have you tried speaking with the service manager? Good luck.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Those things always look horrible going down the road, tons of negative camber on the rear wheels.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Devilsreject, I bought the car brand new from this dealership with 7 miles on the clock. As I also stated I was a mechanic for three years and grew up working on cars, this thing never pulled, never drove funny, never gave any indication that the alignment was out. I followed their service intervals when the A light came on I changed the oil. At 152XX when the B light came on I checked the book and it said to rotate the tires. When I got the car in the air and grabbed hold of the tire is when I first noticed that the tire was down to the metal. Does that help clear things up for you? Yes there was a problem, no there were no symptoms, Yes I addressed the problem as soon as I noticed it, no I am not trying to be dishonest or mislead anyone.

Matt55 I wasn't looking for free tires or even a reimbursement on them. I was expecting such a severe problem to be covered under warranty. And I was also not expecting to be treated so rudely.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
We have a 09 mdx (same platform) every 5-6000 miles we get the same oil change and tire rotation light. 15000 miles sounds high.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
The way vehicles are chained down on the trucks for shipping, alignments are
routinely knocked out of spec. That being said it should have been noticeable
From he time you picked it up (for a mechanic) maybe you or someone driving your
Pilot hit a RR track or pothole at speed and knocked it out? Who knows...
I hit a pothole (hard) and had to replace my front Pirellis @ 32,000 miles.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote