Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #57
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I debated this for some time. Did I want to spend $199 to renew, or just drop an alarm on the car since I have roadside assistance with my insurance company? Well, I got a letter from Onstar dropping it from $199 to $149 this week, and said 'what the hell' and pulled the trigger. When it comes up for renewal next year though, I'm going to have the same internal debate.
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:01 AM   #58
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
If I wanted to talk to people to get data, I wouldn't be in IT.
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #59
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm facing the same thing coming up in January. I know I won't be getting the turn by turn navigation package. I'm not sure about the other. I might get the security version (whatever it's called where they can unlock the doors and shut the car down if stolen), but maybe for just the months I'm driving it.
unless the 2011's offer it,you will NOT get the "slow down" feature on the camaro!..it is NOT offered for that car!..unbelievable,because if ANY (g.m) car needed it,.it's the camaro!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #60
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
I read on C5 that they would eventually offer you a year for $70.....well I waited and let it expire and sure enough.....70.....it's worth 70...I can make calls from the car when I'm in it. That and a pay as you go phone...I'm in headers! with the money I saved.
is this true?..was NOT aware of that!..mine renews in january...guess i'll attempt to get that discount!..i agree it IS worth 70.00 (good value!)..not 200.00!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #61
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Line View Post
Quote:I'm facing the same thing coming up in January. I know I won't be getting the turn by turn navigation package. I'm not sure about the other. ]:quote:

Jan. for me too ...what to do what to do?

how about this option.No onstar no XM No need for the antana.AM/FM is in the rear windo.

The "remove the sat. antana MOD."for the ones who think they can hear them .....

Sorry got off topic. not sure what to do. XM 170 a year Star 200? when does it end?
unfortunately!..it ends when they toss the dirt on your ass in the hole!..and not until then!..can't catch a break!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #62
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
It is to me because the insurance reduction pays for OnStar.
who's your carrier?..just curious!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #63
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Waiting for a locksmith to come out and unlock your car, vs a quick phonecall (or one click of a cell phone app) and boom your doors are unlocked, is a huge difference.
it may be worth it if ya got alzeimers and lock yourself out all the time!..or is that dementia?
or maybe mr. tamland is in the car!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #64
MatchbookSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Thanks, I had nothing but good service from them and I had all my relatives switch to GEICO due to their good rates and service. That's why I was upset with them for trying to nickel and dime me on the roadside claims being considered regular claims by them.
Why don't you go with USAA?

USAA offers OnStar discounts. For me it isn't enough to cover the complete cost of a $199 dollar renewal for a year, but almost. I'll hold out until they offer it to me for $149, and probably do it. Granted, I still have a while til my OnStar expires.
MatchbookSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #65
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
That is true, but I'm too cheap to pay $20/mo for onstar, that's the root of it for me. There are people that are willing to pay $120/mo to get ALL the cable channels, but it doesn't add much value to me, neither does onstar for the price. But it depends upon your budget and priorities! I personally do think that Onstar does overcharge for the amount of service provided, but I guess if you can afford it, it is worth it.

But think about it, if my ins co can afford to charge me roughly $1.50/mo for emergency roadside assistance and it costs a bare minimum of $50 for a locksmith/tow truck call. You know they aren't losing money. Basically it works out that because so few people actually need roadside, assistance they can afford to charge you $1.50/mo. It costs Onstar virtually nothing to remotely unlock a car. The only thing that onstar adds value for me is the crash response in the event that I am immobilized and there are no other parties present to call 911. That is valuable, but Onstar shouldn't charge so much for it in my opinion. It's more of a monopoly-based price.
i agree in principal with this analogy...IF YOU ARE immobilized,then what price can you put on a systems ability to possibly save your life?..on the other hand,a couple of "key strokes" on a computer to unlock your car doors
is hardly worth 19.00 a month in my view!..as a wise old sage so eloquently put it so long ago:.."let the buyer beware!"
Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #66
jmaryt

Quote:
I use to be with GEICO and had roadside assistant service included in my policy, so I decided to drop my coverage with Allstate Motor Club. That was a big mistake. I had a couple of tow calls within a couple of months with GEICO and would you believe they tried to raise my rates on my policy. They claimed that even though I had roadside service, the towing calls were considered claims on my insurance policy. I told them were they could stick their policy and left after over 20 years with them. And I never had a speeding ticket while covered with them.

Insurance companies are just legalized armed robbers out to screw you in the long run especially after paying for years thousands upon thousands of dollars on insurance coverage and the moment you have any claims or your credit score changes they either raise your rates or drop you. Sorry for the rant but insurance companies are some of the biggest crook's in my book.
they are indeed!..you obediently pay thousands in premiums over the years,and get involved with a claim,and they attempt to raise your rates,or cancel coverage!..i have always considered insurance to be a "necessary evil"..nothing has changed to alter that viewpoint.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #67
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
who's your carrier?..just curious!

Its now GMAC.

It was Farm Bureau, which had always been the most economical. Their rate difference pays for the OnStar with change left over. At least as long as I don't drive over 15,000 (which shouldn't be an issue as we have 5 other lic vech) miles and keep OnStar active.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #68
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
My answer to whether or not to keep Onstar is no. Using my Android (Droid Incredible) phone I can bluetooth calls, navigate, music, and just about any app that has sounds to my camaro. I can also bluetooth multiple devices. What do I need Onstar for? Just for security and unlocking doors? Maybe, but I can control most of those problems without the fee.
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #69
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
That is true, but I'm too cheap to pay $20/mo for onstar, that's the root of it for me. There are people that are willing to pay $120/mo to get ALL the cable channels, but it doesn't add much value to me, neither does onstar for the price. But it depends upon your budget and priorities! I personally do think that Onstar does overcharge for the amount of service provided, but I guess if you can afford it, it is worth it.

But think about it, if my ins co can afford to charge me roughly $1.50/mo for emergency roadside assistance and it costs a bare minimum of $50 for a locksmith/tow truck call. You know they aren't losing money. Basically it works out that because so few people actually need roadside, assistance they can afford to charge you $1.50/mo. It costs Onstar virtually nothing to remotely unlock a car. The only thing that onstar adds value for me is the crash response in the event that I am immobilized and there are no other parties present to call 911. That is valuable, but Onstar shouldn't charge so much for it in my opinion. It's more of a monopoly-based price.
If lockout and towing services is all you care about, its not really worth it. Its everything else it covers as to where the value comes in. Also its far cheaper for insurance companies to offer towing as the staffing is not that huge (compared to how many operators OnStar has to staff). Around here its a bare minimum of $75 for lockout and $150 to be towed anywhere.

However see my reply below

Quote:
I use to be with GEICO and had roadside assistant service included in my policy, so I decided to drop my coverage with Allstate Motor Club. That was a big mistake. I had a couple of tow calls within a couple of months with GEICO and would you believe they tried to raise my rates on my policy. They claimed that even though I had roadside service, the towing calls were considered claims on my insurance policy. I told them were they could stick their policy and left after over 20 years with them. And I never had a speeding ticket while covered with them.

Insurance companies are just legalized armed robbers out to screw you in the long run especially after paying for years thousands upon thousands of dollars on insurance coverage and the moment you have any claims or your credit score changes they either raise your rates or drop you. Sorry for the rant but insurance companies are some of the biggest crook's in my book.
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about that experience. I have GEICO too... I too had 2 lockouts within a month (bad month) and then another a year later. They didn't raise my rates. So I guess it depends upon the mood of your underwriter.
I can verify this somewhat. As a former employee of one of the big Insurance companies I can say for sure that if you have a lot of tow claims in a short time (like more than 2 or 3 in a year), they will many times drop towing coverage from your policy which they legally can do. They cannot raise your rates however because of tow claims.

What I am sure happened to you (because trust me as much as most believe they are doing illegal stuff they really are not they are actually pretty crazy about the law and fire people for legal violations a lot), is a misinformed underwriter could not otherwise explain why your policy went up (could have been any number of factors), so they pinned it on that. Happens all the time... people get fired for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemaro View Post
I was driving into the city one night and told the operator the address, he then asked for the city, to which i responded "New York". He replied, "uhh sir… I'm not seeing a Herald Square in New York, but I do see one in Manhattan." … Really?

I informed him Manhattan was a Borough of NYC, which he found quite surprising..

Thought it was hilarious coming from a "Navigation Advisor".
You really need to cut them some slack, something that seems completely obvious to us is completely foreign to them. Do you know much about how LA County is setup, or how about South Texas? You can't expect them to have every area of the country memorized.

Quote:
unless the 2011's offer it,you will NOT get the "slow down" feature on the camaro!..it is NOT offered for that car!..unbelievable,because if ANY (g.m) car needed it,.it's the camaro!
Negative, the slow down feature is included on the SS, its just not available on the LT/LS. However IIRC all vehicles allow them to lock out the ignition so once the ignition is shut off.

Quote:
it may be worth it if ya got alzeimers and lock yourself out all the time!..or is that dementia?
or maybe mr. tamland is in the car!
Uhh.... no

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchbookSS View Post
Why don't you go with USAA?

USAA offers OnStar discounts. For me it isn't enough to cover the complete cost of a $199 dollar renewal for a year, but almost. I'll hold out until they offer it to me for $149, and probably do it. Granted, I still have a while til my OnStar expires.
If you are government or military with a clean record USAA is the way to go all the time.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #70
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
This sums up what they offer...

https://www.onstar.com/tunnel-web/we...ne_Connect.pdf

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote