Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Ghost Pages

Was a topic about this once in the off topic section and of course folks thought the OP was nuts, though I have seen it before myself.

But this was the first time I was able to grab a screen cap of it in action.

The mustang key thread is only up to 72 post, yet the link to page 4 is already displayed. [Note print screen don't capture the mouse pointer] and when you put your mouse over the link to page 4 it says show post 76-79

click on the page 4 link and you get sent right back to page 3.

dunno if its a known bug in the software or not

2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
It has something to do with the when a post gets moderated, and the time your viewing the thread when that post is moderated. IDK, I used to have the same problem in the post whores thread, but It eventually panned out. I haven't had this problem in probably a year.

I'm sure another mod will chime in with a better explanation.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Actually it's been happening in the PWA thread for me now, for the 2nd time. Like you said CC it went away, but when I updated the last few updates of Firefox it reappeared.

Could be browser related like how FF has issues with facebook and other things. Were you using Firefox?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Long as it known, no big deal.
------

But it wouldn't be browser related as it has no control of what you see like that, it would be the forum software or DB as nothing or very little in a forum is real, the pages you see are built on the fly as needed, its not like real html pages.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
It has something to do with the when a post gets moderated, and the time your viewing the thread when that post is moderated. IDK, I used to have the same problem in the post whores thread, but It eventually panned out. I haven't had this problem in probably a year.

I'm sure another mod will chime in with a better explanation.
Yeah, its because there are technically more posts in the thread than the members can see. I went through the Mustang key thread and there were around 10 'moderated' posts before #72, which would explain the extra page.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
chain777

Drives: Slow
I was going to start a thread on this, but I'm glad I found this one.

I have this problem all the time, on multiple threads. It seems to get worse the longer the thread is. I've seen multiple ghost pages (4 or 5), on some threads. Even two or three page threads sometimes show ghost pages.

I don't have any experience with the software side of things, but this is the only site I can recall that I've ever seen this problem on. I'm also using Firefox.

One other point. The way placemarkers (or whatever term is used too describe the markers that remember your place in threads since you last visited), are implemented isn't very reliable, and the time they reset is to fast. I don't know the interval they reset, but I think it's less than half an hour. So if your idle for more time than that, you lose all your markers.

It's a lot more useful if they're thread related instead time related. Otherwise all the markers in every thread on the forum, even on sub-forums you haven't visited yet, are reset and you lose all your markers. The sites that only reset the markers you've actually visited, regardless of the last time you visited, are much more useful.

I hope this info is helpful.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote