Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Matth3w

Drives: '10 Camaro SS w/RS Victory Red 6spd
How do you get away with modding in TX with safety/emmissions?

I just moved to Texas. I have no mufflers and they gave me a hard time about the safety inspection and said I wouldn't pass the emissions in 2012 when I have to get it and am no longer exempt. I have four cats and two resonators and the pipes stick out the back with the stock tips...but I had the muffler delete done.

Any suggestions? Comments from those with headers/exhaust etc?
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
$50....it works sometimes
only did this because my sister went to school in AZ, and instead of bringing her car back to Tx to get inspection done we just paid the guys and took the sticker to her.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
muffler delete? that is very tame. I fail to see what you wouldn't pass. you aren't in nazi california, it's not that bad in TX is it?

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
muffler delete? that is very tame. I fail to see what you wouldn't pass. you aren't in nazi california, it's not that bad in TX is it?
the problem with muffler delete is not emissions its the law that requires you to have a muffler
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
I'm more surprised that you even have to have the test at all. In my state (missouri), it's not needed for the first five years on new cars. Same goes for state inspections. I just assumed it was a national requirement. Seems like a waste of money to have it done on brand new cars.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Just go to different shops and ask around. I called the one I use when i put LT's on and he said "as long as you have CATs and the exhaust exits out the back, you don't even need mufflers"

I found one guy that told me to come see him and he will pass me without CAT's

What area of Texas are you in?
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
I just moved to Texas. I have no mufflers and they gave me a hard time about the safety inspection and said I wouldn't pass the emissions in 2012 when I have to get it and am no longer exempt. I have four cats and two resonators and the pipes stick out the back with the stock tips...but I had the muffler delete done.

Any suggestions? Comments from those with headers/exhaust etc?
Some counties in TX require more than others. I too have had a muffler delete and the inspection is coming up. I was prepared to point to my resonators and say those are my mufflers now. Muffle and Resonate are synonyms are they not... RIGHT!?
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Matth3w

Drives: '10 Camaro SS w/RS Victory Red 6spd
That's kinda how I got them to shut up about it. I live in El Paso
Matth3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Ok. To far from me to use my guy. Just ask around and go to some car meets and ask the people who they use. In fact I met the guy who said he would pass me without CAT's at a car meet.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
I've never even had an inspector check my physical exhaust system. They just plug in the emissions test equipment and go to town. Once thats done, the basic safety inspection is a breeze.

You should be good as long as you have cats and can pass emissions.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCowboy View Post
Ok. To far from me to use my guy. Just ask around and go to some car meets and ask the people who they use. In fact I met the guy who said he would pass me without CAT's at a car meet.
Who is this guy you speak of? I live in Waco (not too far from you) and I'll need an inspection in the summer. Not sure how strict places are around here but I have LT headers and hi flow cats.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Worst case scenario....put on a resonated x-pipe. That's basically an x-pipe inside a muffler. As far as they know...that is your muffler.

It should sound the same if not better if you remove the resonators when you install the x-pipe.

I have some video clips in this thread so you can get an idea of what it sounds like.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Who is this guy you speak of? I live in Waco (not too far from you) and I'll need an inspection in the summer. Not sure how strict places are around here but I have LT headers and hi flow cats.
Completely legal....why are you worried about an inspection?

Which cat-back do you have?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
as stated before, depend on teh county you live in, some are stricker than others....and as long as your exhaust system is "sound" (tight and no leaks) and you have the REQUIRED parts (CATS) AND IF REQUIRED, IF by the county you live in, you need to pass a SNIFF TEST and PASS, you are good to go.